Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » How much of your life revolves around the making of sandwiches? Are you familiar with any of the unspoken rules of sandwich-making? ~

How much of your life revolves around the making of sandwiches? Are you familiar with any of the unspoken rules of sandwich-making? ~

Posted - April 29, 2018

Responses

I rarely make sandwiches.  But when I do I always leave the knife on the edge of the sink (half in/half out).  old habit.  It gets worse...  when I use  larger knives (bread, carving, paring, etc.)  I'll always leave them sitting blade upward (on the edge of the sink).
      April 29, 2018 3:59 PM MDT

• "4.6392%"

The one sandwich-making rule that pops into my head is ... "NEVER put ketchup on a Chicago style hot dog!"

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 29, 2018 8:23 PM MDT
      April 29, 2018 4:05 PM MDT

I guess I will never know. Every time I went to Chicago I got tire tread marks on my fenders, so I am not going again.

Besides, I would not call that a sandwich. It's a salad!
      April 29, 2018 8:47 PM MDT

• They are tasty!
      April 29, 2018 8:49 PM MDT

Yes,we are all certain about who makes the sandwiches in our house if you visit........it's going to be you ,yew and only U for this ewe can feel sure.....:( 
      April 29, 2018 5:11 PM MDT

O yes, I sure am.  Only Hellman's or Best food Mayonnaise (they are the same brand).  The bread must be complimentary for the type of *samich you are making.  Must use cheese that will "string" when you pull off a pice for a grilled cheese. A tuna sandwich must include chopped sweet gerkins catsup on one side of one piece of the bread and Wisconsin longhorn cheese (lettuce and chives optional).  A tomato and mayonnaise sandwich is great in the summer if the bread is fresh and the tomatoes are home grown (a little salt and pepper). A ruben is best from a Jewish deli and there is only one place to buy a pastrami, "The Hat." 
      April 29, 2018 6:30 PM MDT

That's it!  I can't take any more of this, I'm filing for divorce first thing tomorrow morning when the courthouse opens, and I want you to meet me there at the office of the Justice of the Peace. You and I can be married by tomorrow afternoon. We'll be so happy together!
      (Sorry, I would have answered much sooner, Dear, but in my excitement, I began packing my bags right away. See you soon!)

~
      April 29, 2018 7:30 PM MDT

Whoa! hahahaha Is that a passport i see, hum.  I hope you are going to a sunny, warm place.  
     You do look like a friendly, nice, warm, kinda guy.  Hummmm tomorrow afternoon you say?    
    Where's the ring, I don't see a ring?   :   I

April 30, 2018 10:15 AM MDT

Ring, schming.  Do you want to be the love of my life or not?  Oh, and the passport: this last-minute divorce is going to be quite messy, so you and I will be one the run internationally (well, at least until all of your savings ate depleted).  Something borrowed, something blue, ham and cheese on rye is what I want from you. 
    ~
      April 30, 2018 11:49 AM MDT

Beware Sunshine. Randy have only two rules about sandwiches. 1: Women should make him one whenever he tell them to. ans 2: Sandwiches should be criticized between bites.
      April 29, 2018 9:43 PM MDT

*Ima good *samich maker and will make em just like you want.  No tomatoes or crust? no problem, want 3 kinds of mustard? I've got em right here.  Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us.   :   )
      April 30, 2018 10:18 AM MDT

How about "Lots of mustard, hold the bread" ?
      April 30, 2018 8:39 PM MDT

About 5 minutes in the morning, between coffee and going to work.
      April 29, 2018 8:01 PM MDT

Huh?

:(
      April 30, 2018 8:52 AM MDT

That's how much of my life revolves around making sandwiches.
    Morning routine:
    1. Coffee
    2. Shower
    3. Coffee
    4. Make sandwiches
    5. Go to work

I'm no "artiste", I make them to suit me. Rules, schmules. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at April 30, 2018 11:02 PM MDT
      April 30, 2018 10:14 PM MDT

1. Select an artisan bread you happen to like. If you are not familiar with artisan breads, choose sourdough. Do not for any reason get stuck using plain white loaf bread.

2. Select a cheese from this graphic (You can't go wrong with sharp cheddar.):

3. Assemble the sandwich and spread the outside faces with mayonnaise.

4. Fry at a slightly higher temperature than you would use for butter. Watch carefully to turn at exactly the right shade of brown.

5. This might seem like a small thing, but some people are going to want to know how you made such perfect toast.
      April 29, 2018 8:59 PM MDT

The mayo on the outside?  I'll have to try that next time I make grilled cheese.
      April 30, 2018 3:38 AM MDT

I picked up two bottles of mayo recently. One of them is made with olive oil and the other is made with avocado oil. Neither is as good as plain old cheap mayo. 
      April 30, 2018 6:43 AM MDT

I never buy variations of a product.  I try not to buy many processed foods, but I'm not going to make my own mayo.  We only buy Hellman's/Best Foods.  I will try this because I'm intrigued.  My brother makes baked chicken that he coats with mayo and parmesan and sprinkles with bread crumbs.  My goodness that is some good good chicken! This post was edited by Thriftymaid at April 30, 2018 7:41 AM MDT
      April 30, 2018 7:39 AM MDT

Mayo on the outside, yay, I lurve mayonnaise, must try that. 
      April 30, 2018 10:20 AM MDT

Wait, I detest mayo. No one told me this is going to be a mixed marriage!  Listen, I can't marry you, the whole deal is off!  I have to log out now; I need to get back those divorce papers I filed at the courthouse and then get over to the florist's shop and the chocolatier's!  
    ~
      April 30, 2018 11:53 AM MDT

hahahahaha  Ok cutie pie, you have broken my heart.  On second thought, you didn't have a ring. Wow! this has been a horrible day: left at the alter and no ring. (sigh)
    Guess I'll go and make a BIG *SAMICH and eat it all by my lonesome.  :  (po me) :  )
    This post was edited by Sunshine at April 30, 2018 1:01 PM MDT
      April 30, 2018 12:56 PM MDT

Bread must be toasted.  I never say it.  I just do it.  
      April 30, 2018 3:36 AM MDT

Not much - and I never heard of any rules.  I have made sandwiches for feeding the homeless and they had rules about how many each person should have.  Because there were a lot of Chinese women who were not homeless at all grabbing all the food.  At home its usually just on one thick slice of bread which is very hearty and, like someone else on here mentioned, toasted.  For my husband and myself. 
      April 30, 2018 7:48 AM MDT