Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Which can you tolerate more, ignorance or stupidity?

Which can you tolerate more, ignorance or stupidity?

Posted - May 1, 2018

Responses

Hehe, difficult to answer in and of itself. Suppose the decisive factor is just how vocally either would be expressed.

Or perhaps stupidity must always lead to greater ignorance while the reverse is not true; ignorance can be remedied (at least to some extent), so to see it nonetheless persist is the more irksome.
      May 1, 2018 11:35 AM MDT

If one does not attempt to remedy his or her ignorance, it morphs toward stupidity.
      May 1, 2018 2:02 PM MDT

Stupidity because some of the dumb things stupid people do can be funny -if they don't kill themselves. 
      May 1, 2018 11:36 AM MDT

I will simply post some quotes from the internet.  You can probably infer my answer to my question from those.

If not, I hope you at least find some amusement in the quotes.

“He knows nothing; and he thinks he knows everything. That points clearly to a political career.”

“There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.”

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” 

“There are no uninteresting things, only uninterested people.” 

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” 
      May 1, 2018 1:02 PM MDT

May 1, 2018 2:07 PM MDT

How true.....There is a fine line between intelligence and brilliance.....I've met some very intellectual people and  more than one have had no idea how to look after themselves ....they don't even have no idea how to run thier own homes.....:( 
      May 1, 2018 2:25 PM MDT

While not fond of either, plain ignorance can be remedied by learning, we have all been ignorant in some subject at one time or another. 
    Willful ignorance though, is a form of stupidity, and stupidity is incurable. 
      May 1, 2018 1:11 PM MDT

I am ignorant of many thing, but not interested in most of them.
      May 1, 2018 2:07 PM MDT

Please don't say stupidity or I might be forced to leave the Mug...:( 
      May 1, 2018 2:16 PM MDT

In myself? Both.
    I am currently feeling both of myself.
    It hurts.

EDIT -- I don't even know what I'm grammatically saying -- other than I feel ignorant and stupid and it hurts. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 2, 2018 9:53 AM MDT
      May 1, 2018 2:21 PM MDT

• Stupidity has an excuse. Ignorance doesn't.
      May 1, 2018 2:59 PM MDT

I have never suffered an overload of either, so I dont know where my limit is.

That said I do tend to leave conversations where it becomes annoying.
      May 1, 2018 5:19 PM MDT

I'll go with ignorance because everyone's ignorant in something and they just need to learn. There have been some ignorant things I've said and someone would correct me and I'll be all like "oh!" Then I know better. A stupid person would probably just keep making the same mistake.
      May 1, 2018 7:04 PM MDT

Just a few more comments---

Stupid---having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.  (Mostly genetic, I suppose---although I've heard people say that "someone" doesn't use the brains they were born with.)

Common sense---sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts.

Ignorance is frequently categorized as "simple" or "consequent"  Simple is a 5 year old who can't solve differential equations.  "Consequent" is a PhD in math who can't solve differential equations. 

We don't expect that the 5 year old should or even will be able to understand advanced math, but we fully expect that a PhD in math should be able to do so---in other words, the PhD lacks "due knowledge" about equations that he should know about.
      May 1, 2018 7:09 PM MDT

• Can't fix stupid.
      May 3, 2018 2:29 PM MDT

neither of them
      May 19, 2018 5:39 PM MDT