Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Why did people create God?

Why did people create God?

By nature man is rebellious.  So rebellious, in fact, that he has to have this “conscience” that decides what is right and wrong for him.  And what’s right for me is wrong for the next person (based on our upbringing).  So please do tell me ... why did man create a Being greater than himself to tell him what he needs to do when, quite frankly, man doesn’t like to be pushed around ... especially by someone that you cannot presumably see? 

What good did man see when he created a god? 

For purposes of this discussion, let's assume that there was nothing once upon a time.  And this nothing was intelligent enough to reproduce itself and everything else we see today (which then begs the question, if a self-reproducing independent organism could replicate itself, why create gender in the first place with women being child bearers?  Why didn’t the organism just leave life as self-producing (like trees and some reptiles are?) 

And then, furthermore, if this organism was so smart that it could create galaxies that go to the n-th power and create the sun, moon, stars, rocks, planets, why create life (be it trees, plants, animals, fish, etc.) on this planet?  And on no other planet?  I mean, really - is this planet that significant to one organism that came from nothing?  Anyway, I’m detracting.

Of course, this reproduction process took millions of years to get us to where we are today so that nobody can really really prove anything (everything is based on assumptions and theories and dating models that we think are correct).  We then turn our focus to man’s evolution over the past two hundred thousand years.

If Wikipedia’s timeline of homo sapiens' evolution is anything to go by, modern man is a pretty new species, with modern humans being only 200,000 years old.  But religion is, at best, 6- to 10,000 years old (depends on your source).  So why would modern man (called hunter-gatherers) live for 190,000 years with some meager developments such as burial tombs, pitchforks, axes, stone hunting tools, jewelry, the wheel ... and then, one day, just wake up and say, “Today, we shall make god!”

Religion – any religion – is at most 10,000 years old.  So man lived for over 190,000 years and one day just got up and created a god.  Why?  What did man do for 190,000 years when there was no god? Why is there no historical evidence of a god prior to the recorded beginnings of the earth as in the Bible?  And please, having records of burial sites does not denote the existence of a god - even atheists bury their dead!

Posted - May 5, 2018

Responses

Because science and reasoning were not yet established in order to make sense of things. Due to lack of patience they had to invent gods to explain existence.  Buddha was wise to say 'leave it for science to explain beginnings' instead of making up stories of supernatural creation. 
    Science and religion work well together; science develops lots of great weapons and religion develops cause to use them.
      May 6, 2018 5:39 PM MDT

Right.  Sure. 

You should thank God for giving you the mental prowess to even read and copy such brilliance.

May 7, 2018 8:30 AM MDT

OK, except that God was created a long time ago by the mental prowess of people at that time. You were indoctrinated quite well, presumably in some church.
      May 7, 2018 9:17 AM MDT

Thank you.  I was indoctrinated before I was repositioned back on this planet to begin a life of Karmac repentance and life lessons so that I may grow and become more aware of who I really am.

I think when we are both dead, you may awaken a tad, but I fear it will be many, many lifetimes before you awaken and actually catch up to me.

I'm waiting. 

May 7, 2018 9:37 AM MDT

Maybe you were 'repositioned' on the wrong planet. People reject science and reasoning because they are told to by the Great Religious Right powers-that-be and besides it's easier to just say God-did-it than to spend much time studying science and learn to practice critical thinking. 
    How can the religious powers scoop buckets of money  (you'll go to hell) if you get into believing in science? 
      May 7, 2018 10:01 AM MDT

Once we're dead, there's no waking up. Who sold you that bill of goods? Funny that you mindlessly and without question accept all that God stuff and don't express the same doubt and skepticism you do about politics. What's up with that?
      May 7, 2018 10:37 AM MDT

I dont know. Why did Disney create Mickey Mouse ?
      May 7, 2018 10:09 AM MDT

Disney was inspired by God.  God just told me.
      May 7, 2018 10:10 AM MDT

Simple chemicals combine to make powerful chemicals. Simple cells combine to make powerful animals. Simple electronic gates combine to make powerful computers. Logically, all things are created by a combination of simpler, less capable components.
    Therefore, a sureme being must be our future, Not our origin.
    (argument stolen from a Dilbert strip)
      May 7, 2018 10:17 AM MDT

Is that so?  God told me to tell you something.  Something CREATED the first thing. 
      May 7, 2018 1:12 PM MDT

Belief do not explain the origin of 'the first thing' any better than science.
    The place where Science excell is in tracking backwards through history, archeology, geology, ... further and further back to find ever 'firster' things to wonder about.
      May 7, 2018 1:23 PM MDT

Exactly. Someone created God. The entire gist of my question.
      May 7, 2018 1:25 PM MDT

Of course. Evolution resulted in the first thing, and the human imagination obviously created God somewhere down the line.
      May 7, 2018 3:59 PM MDT

As I have said in the past, It is amazing how stupid a person can be when their position depends on not understanding something.
      May 7, 2018 10:35 PM MDT

Q "Why did people create God?"
    ================================

1. There is an unproven assumption in the question.

First you need to present evidence to substantiate that people create God rather than discovered, or concluded, that God exists. Then the question "Why did people create God?" would have a basis and become meaningful.

2. Your commentary has inconsistencies too. Take, for example, "let's assume that there was nothing once upon a time. And this nothing was intelligent enough to reproduce itself and everything else we see today (which then begs the question, if a self-reproducing independent organism could replicate itself, why create gender in the first place with women being child bearers?"

a] "this nothing was intelligent" An intelligent nothing? I suppose if the nothing was fat then it would be a fat intelligent nothing.

b] a nothing that reproduces itself?

c] if a nothing reproduces itself once then you'll, logically, but not sensibly, have two nothings. A nothing that reproduces itself will not result in an organism.

May 15, 2018 12:11 PM MDT

To make money?
      May 17, 2018 1:04 PM MDT

Man has twisted God's word to make money.

(1 Timothy 6:5-8) constant disputes about minor matters by men who are corrupted in mind and deprived of the truth, thinking that godly devotion is a means of gain. 6 To be sure, there is great gain in godly devotion along with contentment. 7 For we have brought nothing into the world, and neither can we carry anything out. 8 So, having food and clothing, we will be content with these things.
    (1 Peter 5:2) Shepherd the flock of God under your care, serving as overseers, not under compulsion, but willingly before God; not for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly;

Not likely to hear this in Church:
    (2 Thessalonians 3:6-12) Now we are giving you instructions, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to withdraw from every brother who is walking disorderly and not according to the tradition that you received from us. 7 For you yourselves know how you should imitate us, because we did not behave in a disorderly way among you, 8 nor did we eat anyone’s food free. On the contrary, by labor and toil we were working night and day so as not to impose an expensive burden on any one of you. 9 Not that we do not have authority, but we wanted to offer ourselves as an example for you to imitate. 10 In fact, when we were with you, we used to give you this order: “If anyone does not want to work, neither let him eat.” 11 For we hear that some are walking disorderly among you, not working at all, but meddling with what does not concern them. 12 To such people we give the order and exhortation in the Lord Jesus Christ that they should work quietly and eat food they themselves earn.
      May 26, 2018 6:02 AM MDT