Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is there some law that requires the Captain to stick with a sinking ship? Other than the Captain are the others who stick brave or pathetic?

Is there some law that requires the Captain to stick with a sinking ship? Other than the Captain are the others who stick brave or pathetic?

Posted - May 9, 2018

Responses

• In the days of wooden sailing ships, a captain who survived the sinking of his ship could be tried, convicted and executed. Didn't leave a lot of options did it?
      May 9, 2018 11:20 AM MDT

That seems rather harsh. One wonders why anyone would take a job under such circumstances. Thank you for  your reply ub and Happy Thursday to thee! :)
      May 10, 2018 4:38 AM MDT

Contrary to the myth ... the captain does not have to "go down with the ship".
    However, the captain is expected to be the last to leave the ship ... as he is responsible for making sure everyone gets evacuated.
    In the days of yore, this usually resulted in the captain indeed going down with the ship - due to the ships sinking so quickly.
      May 9, 2018 11:25 AM MDT

Thank you for your informative reply Walt and Happy Thursday. So if the captian is indeed the last person left on the ship he could jump into the ocean before the ship goes under the water right? Hopefully all ship captains can swim! :)
      May 10, 2018 4:37 AM MDT

The irony is that, historically, most sailors couldn't swim.
      May 10, 2018 7:18 AM MDT

Seriously? Wow! It wasn't a requirement then? Wow! So unless they had small boats to get into they'd surely all drown. Wow. Thank  you for that info Walt. I had no idea. Of course swimming in the ocean is not the safest form of exercise what with sharks and whales and bad weather and huge waves and cold water. A watery grave. Sad. That was very brave of them then. Or maybe foolhardy? It's funny when my mom was a kid in school they all learned how to swim. I think they even had to pass a test or something. I didn't learn how to swim until I was 35!:) This post was edited by RosieG at May 10, 2018 7:24 AM MDT
      May 10, 2018 7:23 AM MDT