Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What unintended consequences would there be if a handful of scientists discovered and took a pill that gave them eternal life on earth?

What unintended consequences would there be if a handful of scientists discovered and took a pill that gave them eternal life on earth?

For one thing they would all become incredibly wealthy from their long-term investments.  For another thing, everyone they know (except for each other) would be gone in 80 years.  What else?  Wouldn't it make a good book or movie?

Posted - May 9, 2018

Responses

Replace "scientists" with the Nephilim blood line or serpent seed mixed in with descendants of Esau Edom and you describe the here and now which is a kingdom of hell on Earth. They would amass a fortune, gain immense power and rewrite history to hide their origins. This post was edited by O-uknow at September 1, 2018 4:38 PM MDT
      May 9, 2018 9:42 PM MDT

Eternal life is called cancer.
      May 9, 2018 10:34 PM MDT

What happens when the Earth gets swallowed by the Sun? Will the just live in the Sun until it's gone then go drifting through space until they get pulled into another planet and just keep doing that for all eternity? That doesn't sound very fun.
      May 10, 2018 12:15 AM MDT

Eternal life would be pure hell if you didn't find out how to stop the aging process......So many new illnesses are being created because doctors are now prolonging life and people are living longer and longer......

If you lived for ever in a healthly state ....how would you deal with watching your childred be born and die in your arms....Your wife or husband you've loved wither and die in before you.....

Would you  just discard them all and move on to someone younger...? 

I think you would end up going insane .....To have it all and done everything......what then....? 
      May 10, 2018 3:23 AM MDT

They would get bored with life after a couple centuries.
    They would probably view "mortals" as we view animals ... lower forms of life, to do with as they please.

I think one of the things that keeps humanity advancing, is our limited lifespans.
    If we were immortal, we would have less incentive to create "great works" that carry our name on to the future. This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at September 1, 2018 4:39 PM MDT
      May 10, 2018 9:36 AM MDT

Interesting.  I'll have think about that some more.  Also, even if you were inspired to do something great, you could procrastinate forever.
      May 11, 2018 9:01 PM MDT

not sure
      May 13, 2018 3:58 PM MDT

~ a VERY good book (very memorable for me) has already been written with that very plot (or, at least, VERY similar - - some scientists discover a very strong age retardation agent)

~ I recommend the book highly - - "The Trouble with Lichen" by John Wyndham

:)

Image result for trouble with lichen john wyndham This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 1, 2018 4:49 PM MDT
      September 1, 2018 4:36 PM MDT