Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Do you avoid watching (a) movie/s based on others' opinions?

Do you avoid watching (a) movie/s based on others' opinions?

I don't always but I've certainly avoided watching "The Human Centipede."

EVERYONE I knew who had seen it told me NOT to go see it. And I haven't. (And many of these people knew I liked the horror genre.)

(I can't get rid of "the related image" thing - - an image that didn't post.)

Related imageImage result for human centipede poster

Posted - May 10, 2018

Responses

I can't remember the last time someone gave me an opinion of a movie. Since I never go to theaters, I just wait until the movie is on Netflix, then decide for myself.
      May 10, 2018 1:45 PM MDT

I don't go often to the theater, either. I don't often watch any movies lately, either. But one time I went to an afternoon matinee showing of William Friedkin's "Bug" - - and I was literally the only person in the entire theater. A private showing! Ha! It was great! And the movie was very, very good in my opinion.
      May 10, 2018 5:55 PM MDT

Did you annoy yourself by constantly talking on your phone and had to tell yourself to shut up?
      May 11, 2018 6:48 AM MDT

HAAA!! That is hilarious!!

Nope -- as usual, I was quiet with or without fellow patrons.
    :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 11, 2018 10:33 AM MDT
      May 11, 2018 6:58 AM MDT

"Do I mind, pal? I paid to watch the movie, not to listen to me have a loud, boring conversation on my cell phone!"
      "How would I like to step outside and say that to me, pal? I'll mop the floor with me!"
      "Oh yeah? Me and what army?"
      "I wouldn't need an army to whip my skinny tail, chisel-chest!"
      "Bring it on then! It'll take me two seconds to show me the meaning of pain, and I'll leave me passed out in the lobby and I wont miss the opening credits!"
      "I sure talk a lot, but I don't see any action from me!"
      "Come on, tough guy, I'll clean my clock!"
    ~ This post was edited by Randy D at May 11, 2018 10:34 AM MDT
      May 11, 2018 7:05 AM MDT

"I'll go outside...If I'm not there in ten minutes I'll start without me."
      May 11, 2018 7:09 AM MDT

Wow, what a sneaky way to get the girl!

~
      May 11, 2018 7:14 AM MDT

I've seen snippets of that, it's disgusting. Anyway, I never watched Avatar because even my hippy-dippy sister told me it was too hippy-dippy and she thought the story was too cliche as well.
      May 10, 2018 1:53 PM MDT

Yes, Patchouili! That's exactly what everyone told me -- "The Human Centipede" was literally disgusting.
    I've not seen "Avatar," either.
      May 10, 2018 5:53 PM MDT

Haven't seen "centipede", the title alone was enough to deter me. I liked Avatar.
      May 10, 2018 6:27 PM MDT

I just wanted to see if it was as sickening as people said it was, but I wasn't brave enough to watch the whole movie so I looked at a few clips and wanted to vomit..
      May 11, 2018 7:52 AM MDT

Yes, what almost everyone also said to me was that old cliche - - "There are tons of things in that movie you can't 'un-see.'"
      May 11, 2018 3:02 PM MDT

I thought 'Avatar' was excellent, but that's just me. Those cat women were beautiful.
      May 11, 2018 6:49 AM MDT

Well I tried to watch it, but I didn't get very far before I fell asleep. I never gave it another chance because my sister warned me that it probably won't be my cup of tea anyway. Same thing happened with 'Unbreakable', for some reason it just bored me to sleep.
      May 11, 2018 8:00 AM MDT

It varies with the type of movie.
    Have been told"Oh it's awful"
    but I loved it.
    And then have been told 
    "Oh I loved it"
    Usually Romance movies
    and I never will watch it...haha
      May 10, 2018 2:36 PM MDT

If there is one genre I tend not to like it's romance movies!
    "The Notebook" comes to mind as one of the few romances that I liked. But it really boiled down to James Marsden and Gena Rowlands being part of the cast --  those two make any movie they're in lots better to me.

Yes -- I often have an opposite experience from others. Like "Forrest Gump." I didn't like it so much and the whole world seemed to love it.
      May 10, 2018 5:52 PM MDT

Those are called "chick flicks" for a reason. The only reason men endure them is because it exponentially increases his chance of getting laid afterwards.
      May 11, 2018 10:39 AM MDT

I don’t act solely on other people’s opinions. Do the homework, have no regrets. 
      May 10, 2018 3:44 PM MDT

Yeah, I agree. I just hate to know anything about movies before I see them, as far as plot, so sometiems I ask others what they thought about a movie but ask them not to say anything about the plot.

I'm not satisfied how I worded the question, too, because your 'take' on it is how I 'take' it upon reading - - acting solely on others' opinions. I didn't mean it quite so literally but it's close enough, I guess.
    Thanks!
    ):
      May 10, 2018 5:49 PM MDT

In the case you mention about ”The Human Centipede”, this is not a genre I’d choose to see.
    I have heard mention of the movie’s extreme nature, it’s kinda sad that there’s a market for it. 
      May 11, 2018 3:31 PM MDT

• I'm not much of a movie-watcher; it's not something I generally want to spend my time doing unless I'm fairly certain that I will like the movie, so I may use friends' or critics' opinions to decide what to watch. 
      May 10, 2018 7:59 PM MDT

I've become a much-less-often movie watcher than I used to be.
    Thanks for answering, Nevan B.
      May 11, 2018 7:00 AM MDT

• "No" ... a bad review might keep me from buying it before I watch it, but I've found that what I look for in a movie is not what most people look for.
      May 12, 2018 3:06 PM MDT

Thanks, ALF!
      May 12, 2018 6:40 PM MDT