Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What is sadder than "it might have been" is "it could have been". Have you ever prevented a good "it could have been"? Regrets?

What is sadder than "it might have been" is "it could have been". Have you ever prevented a good "it could have been"? Regrets?

Posted - May 18, 2018

Responses

What is the difference between "it might have been" and "it could have been" ?
      May 18, 2018 9:20 AM MDT

Seriously? "Might" means it was not guaranteed. It means there was a possibility. "Could" means it would be. "On the Waterfront" says it best. From the mouth of Marlon Brando. "I couldda been a contender. I couldda been someone instead of a bum which is what I am". Could have been versus might have been? I'd always opt for COULD rather than MIGHT. Did I answer your question Walt? Hopefully I did. If not I can talk some more! :)
      May 18, 2018 9:49 AM MDT

Okay.
    I think I get your intent, now.
    "Might" has less probability than "could".

It's hard to tell if I prevented any good "could have been".

Maybe my divorce counts.  It "could have been" a good marriage.  Then again, it "could have been" a worse situation than ending as friends.

Maybe choosing not to go into computer programming in the 1980s count.  I "could have" earned more money.  On the other hand, I "could have" been one of those who sold "too early" to Microsoft and be kicking myself now.  LOL

May 18, 2018 10:04 AM MDT

I know m'dear. "Could" could drive a person crazy. I think any time you end up as friends no matter what the relationship was that no longer  exists is a very big GOOD. As for computer programming...would it have been your cuppa tea? I know nothing about it Walt but it SEEMS very boring to me. Dry. Right/Wrong. In/Out. Gray gray gray all day all the way. Vanilla ice cream. The taste is great at first. But five months later on a straight diet of vanilla ice cream? Oy vey. I couldn't do it! Now I am a retired Internal Auditor so my work world consisted of numbers. Some call us "bean counters" and think that is a very boring profession. But it was NEVER boring. It was always a quest to figure out what was wrong and figure out how to fix it. It's just that the medium was numbers. Different strokes. Thank you for your reply  Walt!  :)
      May 22, 2018 8:16 AM MDT

Dwelling on anything too long makes it eat at you.

We must move forward and deal with what is.

Hillary could be President now and things would be simpler by FAR.    But she wasn't elected.  The only thing to dwell on is the facts that have brought us to this pass.

Not pretty, but we must go forward and change what we can.  To do otherwise is to give in and stagnate.  And who knows?  This pig may be the reason we all DO change and get rid of him.  That would be true paradise on earth.
      May 22, 2018 8:20 AM MDT