Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Do you ignore bible-thumper questions and answers? They seem to cause a lot of arguments.

Do you ignore bible-thumper questions and answers? They seem to cause a lot of arguments.

Maybe that's why all of the mass murders of non-believers by christians and muslims.

Posted - May 18, 2018

Responses

Sometimes it's interesting stuff but it's probably a good thing God doesn't exist or He'd smite them all.
      May 18, 2018 11:34 AM MDT

On the contrary, He's got a great sense of humor is and is greatly amused by those who think He doesn't exist.
      May 18, 2018 3:40 PM MDT

"Sometimes it's interesting stuff" >>> I expect you mean the questions and answers and the arguments and not the mass murders.

"God doesn't exist" seems to be thrown in as if it were a foregone substantiated conclusion. Is it?

As for "He'd smite them all." I expect that would be because He's against mass murders and not questions, free speech and debate

May 20, 2018 10:36 AM MDT

'God does not exist' is of course is a foregone conclusion. 

I just meant 'smack them' . Then tell them to shut up and go home. God should be a loving God who helps people not the Fearsome Critter that the story writers portray.
    That's why there are atheists -who would want to believe in the kind of God the scriptures describe? 
      May 20, 2018 12:39 PM MDT

"'God does not exist' is of course is a foregone conclusion." presumably following a thorough simultaneous search of every nook and cranny in the universe and out of it, of course. Or perhaps that conclusion was arrived following a much better method than that.

"'smack them' . Then tell them to shut up and go home." So a God who is strictly against questions, free speech and debate and punishes people who do any of that.

So atheists want a cuddly God who can be stroked, played with for a while and then put back in His basket when it's time to attend to more pressing things. But that kinda conflicts with a God who would "'smack them' . Then tell them to shut up and go home."
      May 20, 2018 8:46 PM MDT

Maybe the thumpers do help some people so could be God should just give them some dog-watch (time off) instruction how to thump more effectively. 

As I said before the only kind of God I could believe in is a God that helps people along sometimes.
    Isn't praying to and worshipping God a tradition passed down from the most ancient times when concept of gods first began? The God in vogue at present times is just basically a copy of the ancient gods with a few new added features.  This post was edited by Kittigate at June 11, 2018 2:52 PM MDT
      May 20, 2018 9:15 PM MDT

your two objections appear to be praying to and worshipping, but praying to represents interaction. Would you really want a God with no way of interacting with Him? As for worshipping well that's a sign of adoration, a bit like hero worshipping, or pop idol or celebrity worshipping, a sort of human need.

"The God in vogue at present times"? >>> hmmm I thought we still had quite a few flavours to choose from. I'm sure it varies at least a bit from one religion to another.
      May 21, 2018 5:27 AM MDT

God would know my spiritual needs more than I do which is why I need not do prayer. Why not show God adoration by just being a good person and helping others in useful ways -does God really want to hear a bunch of silly useless words anyway? 
      May 21, 2018 9:14 AM MDT

Kittigate, OMG.  You said something spiritually SMART.  See?   After 12 years now, I find you to be aware of SOMETHING profound. 

All those silly, useless words are only a conduit of intent to get where you are now.  Please, Lord, let me behave in a manner that would please SOME BEING LIKE YOU. I give my best with the equipment that I have been given.

That is a blown-up, dramatic manner of what I am seeing you say there.  And, if you try this hard?  You do not really need prayer. 

Do good.

Be good.

Think good.

That is GOD.  Period.
      May 21, 2018 9:20 AM MDT

Yes well belonging to a religion is just totally confusing;  I can think more clearly as atheist/non-believer. 
      May 21, 2018 10:04 AM MDT

"does God really want to hear a bunch of silly useless words anyway?" >>> could be a question of bonding and emotional needs. One could ask the same question about one's baby "does my baby really want to hear a bunch of silly useless words anyway?"
      May 21, 2018 11:40 AM MDT

People should be able to worship in any fashion they like but not try convince anyone they should worship in the same way they do. 
    If I have good fortune then I will feel happy and disperse happiness to others is a form of worship wheather or not I believe in God. 
      May 21, 2018 1:44 PM MDT

all sounds good. Being able to worship in any fashion that gives you a spiritual connection or boost seems to be the essence of it. And one can do that whenever and perhaps wherever one wants to, as an individual.

The problem arises if one wants to worship together for a sense community. It would be chaotic and there would be little sense community if everyone did their own thing. You see that's where the community will need to convince everyone that they should worship in the same way.
      May 21, 2018 8:41 PM MDT

I suppose.  A Wiccan who wants to dance naked around a bonfire would be out of place where people kneel down face to the ground as their form of worship. 
      May 22, 2018 12:01 AM MDT

Exactly, that can be quite powerfully distracting. But it applies more to people of the same faith of course. Individually they can pray to God in their own individual way, but when together as a group, whether Wiccans, Catholics or Hindus, they would follow the appropriate common pattern. And of course if an undecided individual moves from group to group s/he will have to conform to the pattern of whichever group s/he is with.

This post was edited by CLURT at May 22, 2018 7:54 AM MDT
      May 22, 2018 6:53 AM MDT

I go on there and spout my stuff and no one reads it.  Then I go away.  

Just like everyone else.  Except they keep it going with each other.  How boring is that? 

May 18, 2018 2:03 PM MDT

Image result for atheist memes trust in god
      June 11, 2018 3:14 PM MDT

that depends on what the question is
      May 18, 2018 2:38 PM MDT

Yes. I avoid them like the plaque. Just like Political questions that are always, on here anyway, not capable of hearing any answer or comment that isnt left ring extreme like they are. 
      May 18, 2018 5:07 PM MDT

I don't argue about the bible with anybody. I just tell them what it says. If they want to argue, they can take it up with the author.
      May 18, 2018 5:36 PM MDT

If you "tell them what it says" then they will naturally turn to you for explanations of what you are telling them.
      May 20, 2018 10:42 AM MDT

That's a nice theory, but it hasn't happened yet. Even people who disagree go to the bible to find ammunition.
      May 20, 2018 2:29 PM MDT

but if you're well versed in the Bible then their going "to the bible to find ammunition" would surely not bother you  as you'd be able to respond to whatever they threw at you.
      May 20, 2018 9:00 PM MDT

Just because somebody has a verse doesn't mean they read it correctly. It is amazing how stupid people can be when they decide in advance what they want the bible to say. 
      May 20, 2018 9:13 PM MDT