Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Are Jehovah's Witnesses now allowed to attend Catholic services?

Are Jehovah's Witnesses now allowed to attend Catholic services?

Posted - May 19, 2018

Responses

i dont see why not
      May 19, 2018 3:44 PM MDT

Who would disallow them? The Catholics or the JWs? 

A JW would have no real reason to attend a traditional mass, but funerals and weddings, in my experience, are fair game. I have JW family members who have attended Catholic funerals. There are parts they don't take part in. I do remember that much, but I wasn't scrutinizing the family members.

May 19, 2018 3:56 PM MDT

The Jw's through their doctrine from the Watchtower.

I know a JW, an Elder, who did not enter a Catholic church during a mass or service for his own mother-in-law. He waited outside. I also have a long distance in-law-relative who did not attend a Baptist service for his own niece when she got married, but attended the reception.
      May 19, 2018 6:57 PM MDT

It seemed there was huge concession when the Catholics started allowing divorcees in the door, why not JW’s... Both sects could surely use all the friends they can find. 
      May 19, 2018 8:14 PM MDT

It's not that the Catholic church does not allow JW's inside.
    The Watchtower which instructs JW's not to attend any service of any other religion. The Catholic church always allowed divorcees, other religions and even atheists inside to attend any service, they just weren't allowed to participate in communion. The church doesn't care if non Catholics kneel, stand, or follow the act. Even if they disrupt, the service goes on.
      May 20, 2018 12:10 PM MDT

Divorced Catholics were not "excommunicated" some 45 years ago.  As a general rule they were welcome, even if they remarried, but were not allowed to receive the Eucharist if they were remarried and sexually active.

A lot of "problems" arise out of strict construction of Catholic Canon Law. It makes a lot of sense if you study it in some detail, but I'm glad we have a progressive Pope who seems intent on letting some fresh air into the room. 
      May 22, 2018 9:18 PM MDT

"Catholic" means "universal"---anyone is welcome by us although perhaps not allowed by the other religion.  The Eucharist is generally reserved for those who are Catholic in the common meaning of (Roman) Catholic---but no priest is going to ask you for your baptismal certificate when you are in line to receive communion.  (But if you don't believe, why bother?)

We also recognize marriages between non-Catholics as valid marriages.

And attending a funeral is a "work of mercy" from the Sermon on the Mount.

This post was edited by tom jackson at May 22, 2018 4:25 AM MDT
      May 21, 2018 9:36 PM MDT

Given the fact that Meghan, like her mother, is a Protestant and her father is a member of the Episcopal Church of the United States and is an Episcopalian, which is part of the worldwide Anglican Communion.
    Given the fact that Harry's grandmother is head of the Church of England and his father is 'Defender of the Faith', I doubt very much that Catholicism had anything to do with the wedding.

June 6, 2018 11:08 AM MDT