Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » If we really wanted to, could we stop drugs from coming into the U.S by a significant margin?

If we really wanted to, could we stop drugs from coming into the U.S by a significant margin?

Posted - May 25, 2018

Responses

Yes.
    It has been proven successful to reduce recidivism when you focus on rehab rather than punishment.
      May 25, 2018 11:48 AM MDT

I deleted that other answer
      May 25, 2018 12:14 PM MDT

I think we could too... I wonder why we don't..  
      May 25, 2018 12:17 PM MDT

What makes you think we don't really want to already?
      May 25, 2018 1:05 PM MDT

maybe
      May 25, 2018 2:42 PM MDT

You could build a huge wall to stop them ,thus creating more emploment,and wasting concrete ,metal and time....   Just a thought.....:( 
      May 25, 2018 3:07 PM MDT

First, we may be able to significantly reduce the amount of drugs coming in by using a state-of-the-art Barrier system that includes walls, fences, sensors, etc. far more robust than we have now; However, I believe we never will fully stop the infiltration of drugs into the US. There are far too many ways drugs can be smuggled -- tunnels, boats, ships, submarines, aircraft, catapults, etc. to name only a few.

Second, as a libertarian, I believe that people should have the maximum degree of freedom and liberty as possible to do what they choose to do as long as their actions do not hurt others. Along with that freedom comes personal responsibility and full accountability for our actions. If I choose to use heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, flacca, or any other illegal drug, I should have that freedom but also be fully accountable for my actions. Our American society should have no responsibility to save me from myself. If I live a horrific life or kill myself as a result of my choices -- so be it.

I support a "Wall," or what I refer to as a barrier because I believe we need to better control our borders, reduce or eliminate illegal immigration, prevent entry to the US by terrrorists and criminals, and prevent the possible importation of weapons -- particularly large quantities of explosives or heavy weapons, and most specifically  nuclear, radiologic, chemical, or biologic weapons.

At the same time, I support robust legal immigration and guest-worker programs, as long as they are in the best interests of our nation.
      May 25, 2018 3:32 PM MDT

Making the punishment fit the crime would help a lot I think....
      May 25, 2018 4:24 PM MDT

too many tricky ways
    do they have
    but if those that use
    stopped using
    maybe it wouldn't come anymore?

This post was edited by Baba at May 26, 2018 3:08 AM MDT
      May 25, 2018 4:49 PM MDT

• Make it a death sentence [ drugs ] . Shoot the first one off the top of the " wall " and see how many climb it after that .  :-)
      May 25, 2018 9:27 PM MDT

It has never worked yet. The attempt only creates powerful gangs.
      May 26, 2018 1:10 AM MDT

The costly and failed “War on Drugs” over the last five decades should be proof enough it cannot be done. 
      May 26, 2018 6:19 AM MDT

And prohibition before that.
      May 26, 2018 10:34 AM MDT

Agreed. Shouldn’t there have been a lesson in that? 
      May 26, 2018 2:48 PM MDT

• What would , ,,,  :-)   ,,,, China , Russia , North Korea , Cuba , Syria , Iran ,  :-) , do . :-)
     What the root problem ,,,, evil in their own countries . :-/
      July 5, 2018 1:32 AM MDT