Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Electronics » Are electronics becoming more desirable than actually touching and seeing each other personally?

Are electronics becoming more desirable than actually touching and seeing each other personally?

Posted - May 29, 2018

Responses

Quite a shame. Do you have a door stoop?

noun North American
    noun: stoop; plural noun: stoops

a porch with steps in front of a house or other building.
    synonyms: porch, steps, platform, veranda, terrace
    "we sat on the front stoop and watched the passers-by"

Many houses here have wrap-around porches.

This post was edited by Element 99 at April 14, 2022 8:00 PM MDT
      May 31, 2018 10:47 AM MDT

We have those, stoop thingy's but it's not the same!  I want a porch and there is no consoling me on that :P
      June 1, 2018 3:43 AM MDT

You made me think of my favorite artist -  Edward Hopper

April 14, 2022 8:00 PM MDT

I am not aware that Britland has houses. All the pictures I see are either castles or factory type apartments.
      May 31, 2018 10:19 PM MDT

Oh yea silly me... just castles and factories.. oh but what about Stonehenge? So we have archaeology as well...  but obviously no houses :P
      June 1, 2018 3:44 AM MDT

Why not just build you a porch?
      June 1, 2018 5:48 AM MDT

Good point - as are those raised by Merlin and Element - but there are other ways to interact or simply to watch the world go by, including social gatherings, clubs, etc.

One evening last week I was struck by the way a group of students staying in my caving-club's accommodation seemed able to switch between normal social gathering and digital isolation. Of the six or seven in the lounge, two were working away on lap-tops (one was revising for an exam), two were looking at videos on one smart-phone; the others sat tapping away alone on their smart-phones. Their conversation in that time was often rather disjointed. Yet their shared interest in an outdoor pursuit requiring strong team-work and co-operation, meant they were also capable of normal interaction. 

Me? I have recently returned from a very enjoyable holiday away, seeing friends and relatives, and with no computer or smart-phone to hand; just a simple portable telephone I used perhaps 6 times and then only for brief calls in that whole fortnight. Then its screen failed in a very strange way, probably from damp: ever seen a phone screen go mirror-imaged although the keys still worked in their correct layout?

Yesterday afternoon I sat near the door in a town-centre café, discreetly people-watching. I reckon a good quarter, maybe a third, of the passers-by were using or at least holding various electronic devices, some users seemingly radar-controlled so they didn't need look where they were walking. 

You hear or read Metro-centric columnists waffling about "greater connectivity" - ghastly word! - enjoyed by their fondly-imagined Family Now-We-All... but whilst yes, we can chat like this easily although physically hundreds or thousands of miles apart, actually most of us are all strangers who will never meet in person, and ultimately perhaps the ease of electronic communication may isolate more than join.
      August 30, 2018 3:23 PM MDT

Very thought-provoking reply. I have very mixed feelings about it all.. I know that the online world can seem very real for many, especially younger people.. But yes, I think it ultimately can lead to them missing out on real life.. ON the other hand I tend to praise technology.. I made many online friends, met a good few, including American friends and a Canadian. I met, ahem, many men from online when I was dating...  I also made some very good friends along the way.
      August 30, 2018 3:39 PM MDT

Thank you Adaydreambeliever.

I think essentially it's not the system that's the problem, but the way people are tempted to use it - though the Internet itself certainly encourages such temptation! 

We mustn't forget peer-pressure either - doing something without thought, merely because we've convinced ourselves or have been convinced by others, that "everyone" is doing it.

As for on-line (and telephone) dating services... I have tried but soon abandoned them. I realised they are costly and the chances of "success" for a middle-aged man looking for a compatible female partner, are slim to say the least. This is not a matter of the medium though: I would level the same charges at correspondence-based dating-agencies.
      August 31, 2018 2:14 PM MDT

I know this is directed to Jewels Vern but I can't help myself.
    I must say, I am very glad for you and your chosen neighborhood.  Most of all I am with you on your love of the four-legged animals that live harmoniously in your world. You do know there is going to a big However soon to follow, right? 
    There is nothing I can say or do, to not save you from your supposed lovely so-called squirrels. 
    Your neighborhood squirrels are NOT on your side.   They have no fret or fear of ruining every other harmonious living world.  They will contrive, plan, eat, scare, manipulate, undermine, over-climb, take over, and actually have an emotional impact on you.  Terrible as a wicked wizardress I sound.... I speak from experience. 

Carbon might even agree or disagree.. but, I'm telling you.  They are smart rats under the ploy of cute furry tails and innocent faces.  Don't be fooled.  They will take over your world.  

I do say this with reservation of the love of all things great and small.... BUTT..... ) :)  Some rules do need be applied!!!!!!  ;D! This post was edited by Merlin at June 1, 2018 8:01 AM MDT
      May 31, 2018 11:33 AM MDT

I like squirrels. They are no problem for us. We even named one that had half of its tail chopped. We call him Stumpy. We have a neighborhood hawk that controls their population.
      June 1, 2018 8:13 AM MDT

Beautiful!  We also have a pair of red-tailed hawks that help keep our "squabitts" under control.  I have told you the long endearing story of true "squabitts" haven't I?  If not you are in for the treat of the week. 
    :D!
    Yes.  I did drugs in my youth. No.  I haven't done them in years.  I figured drugs in excess weren't really my calling this time around... But squabitts Do exist on our property and ours alone.  If you would like hear, I would be more than happy to tell you.
    :) :)
      June 1, 2018 3:51 PM MDT

Sure...go to the chatroom.
      June 1, 2018 3:58 PM MDT

• as someone who has been in a long distance relationship for almost four years, i can tell you with absolute certainty the answer is no

maybe it’s sufficient for platonic relationships but when it comes to romantic/ physical relationships it will never compare

anyone who says otherwise is ignorant and out of touch 
      June 4, 2018 8:57 PM MDT