Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » How does God give authority to certain people?

How does God give authority to certain people?

Can a good Christian reject human authority?

Posted - May 31, 2018

Responses

He dont. some people give themselves authority and say it came from god.
    And just about every Christian (or any other religion) believer filter the orders he get through his/her common sense
    and disobey a lot of it. as an example condom sales in all countries are pretty much the same, whatever the local priests say about it.
      May 31, 2018 4:05 AM MDT

He doesn’t. People who make this claim are lying to you. 

A good Christian has the same opportunity to reject human authority as a bad one, as either has much the same chance at prison for doing so. 

May 31, 2018 4:42 AM MDT

It’s written in Romans 13:1

“Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.”

May 31, 2018 5:16 AM MDT

Believe what you like. I couldn’t care less what your book of fables says. 
      May 31, 2018 6:06 AM MDT

Why bother answering the question then?
      May 31, 2018 6:14 AM MDT

Neither your initial question nor my answer had anything to do with your book. It’s a free forum. What I posted is true.

You don’t like the answers, don’t ask the question. 
      May 31, 2018 6:23 AM MDT

I thought it was clear enough that I was looking for answers from Christians. I’ll make it more clear next time 
      May 31, 2018 6:36 AM MDT

That would be best. 
      May 31, 2018 3:39 PM MDT

cause he wants to
      May 31, 2018 9:49 AM MDT

We have to obey the laws of the country we are in rather we like the people in charge or not. However, when there is a conflict between what God says and what man says, Christians obey God.

(Acts 5:28, 29) and said: “We strictly ordered you not to keep teaching on the basis of this name, and yet look! you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching, and you are determined to bring the blood of this man upon us.” 29 In answer Peter and the other apostles said: “We must obey God as ruler rather than men.
    (Acts 5:42) And every day in the temple and from house to house they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus.

(Romans 13:1-7) Let every person be in subjection to the superior authorities, for there is no authority except by God; the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God. 2 Therefore, whoever opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God; those who have taken a stand against it will bring judgment against themselves. 3 For those rulers are an object of fear, not to the good deed, but to the bad. Do you want to be free of fear of the authority? Keep doing good, and you will have praise from it; 4 for it is God’s minister to you for your good. But if you are doing what is bad, be in fear, for it is not without purpose that it bears the sword. It is God’s minister, an avenger to express wrath against the one practicing what is bad. 5 There is therefore compelling reason for you to be in subjection, not only on account of that wrath but also on account of your conscience. 6 That is why you are also paying taxes; for they are God’s public servants constantly serving this very purpose. 7 Render to all their dues: to the one who calls for the tax, the tax; to the one who calls for the tribute, the tribute; to the one who calls for fear, such fear; to the one who calls for honor, such honor.
      May 31, 2018 12:03 PM MDT

Thank you. Is smoking cannabis  sinful then if it’s against the law? This post was edited by Gypsyking at May 31, 2018 12:43 PM MDT
      May 31, 2018 12:42 PM MDT

Of course. Even if legal a Christian may want to refrain.

(2 Corinthians 7:1) Therefore, since we have these promises, beloved ones, let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
    (Romans 12:1) Therefore, I appeal to you by the compassions of God, brothers, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, a sacred service with your power of reason.

1 Cor 10:23-33
      May 31, 2018 1:27 PM MDT

What if it’s medical cannabis used to treat anxiety? Is that any different than taking prescription medication? 
      May 31, 2018 1:32 PM MDT

Smoking pot for anxiety?  Seems like there would be other ways without dulling your senses and leaving place for the devil but what do I know?
    I'm sure not the judge but I wouldn't want to stumble anyone. (Romans 14:1-4; 1 Cor 10:23-33)
      May 31, 2018 3:09 PM MDT

Lots of people use cannabis to treat anxiety and depression. Doctors prescribe much worse drugs for anxiety. Look at how many Americans are hooked on Xanax.
    Ive read the passages though. Thank you for sharing
      May 31, 2018 4:09 PM MDT

Perhaps in some forms, cannabis can be used to treat some disorders, I don't know? But isn't smoking it harmful?

Part of an article from 2011:
    [Is Marijuana Really That Bad?
    “Some say that using marijuana is a way to escape problems,” says Ellen, who lives in Ireland, “and that it doesn’t have any bad side effects.” Have you heard similar statements about marijuana? Compare some common myths with the facts.

Myth. Marijuana is not harmful.
    Fact. Known or suspected lasting effects of marijuana are as follows: damaged memory, impaired ability to learn, and suppressed immune system, as well as damage to the sexual health of both males and females. It can induce anxiety attacks, psychoses, and paranoia. Children born to women who smoke marijuana are more likely to have behavioral problems, be less attentive, and have greater difficulty making decisions.

Myth. Marijuana smoke is less harmful than cigarette smoke.
    Fact. Compared with tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke can deposit four times as much tar on your airways and carry five times as much poisonous carbon monoxide into your blood. Smoking five marijuana joints can deliver the same amount of cancer-causing toxins as an entire pack of cigarettes.

Myth. Marijuana is not addictive.
    Fact. Teens who have mental or emotional problems can quickly become addicted to marijuana. Others can become addicted after long-term use. In addition, studies show that teens who smoke marijuana have a much greater risk of using other addictive drugs, such as cocaine.]

I did a google search on: smoking marijuana harmful effects
    There are links to webmd, drugfreeworld, livescience and others you may want to peruse. 
    https://www.google.com/search?q=smoking+marijuana+harmful+effects&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&oq=smoking+marijuana+harmful&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.10983j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

This post was edited by texasescimo at June 2, 2018 12:05 AM MDT
      June 1, 2018 6:00 AM MDT

Thank you. There is a lot of conflicting information about but I’m starting to think you might be right. It’s just selfish, it’s not glorifying God. I will have to let go of it if I want to stop sinning
      June 2, 2018 12:13 AM MDT

Cannabis was unknown in first century Palestine, but alcohol also "dulls the senses" and Paul didn't condemn it entirely. 1 Tim 5:23 
      May 31, 2018 4:47 PM MDT

Do you think the amount Paul had in mind would dull the senses? 
    I've known a lot of people to sit around and smoke pot while letting important things get behind. 

How would a Christian be received smoking a joint while witnessing?
    (2 Timothy 2:15) Do your utmost to present yourself approved to God, a workman with nothing to be ashamed of, handling the word of the truth aright.
    (2 Timothy 4:2) Preach the word; be at it urgently in favorable times and difficult times; reprove, reprimand, exhort, with all patience and art of teaching.

(1 Peter 5:6-8) Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, so that he may exalt you in due time, 7 while you throw all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you. 8 Keep your senses, be watchful! Your adversary, the Devil, walks about like a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone. This post was edited by texasescimo at May 31, 2018 6:09 PM MDT
      May 31, 2018 5:08 PM MDT

To say God gives authority goes against the theory of "free will".

Dictators use their own "free will" to ascend to power.  They aren't placed there by god.
    Elected officials are placed there by people using their "free will" to vote for their leadership.

It is ironic to quote the NT Bible, when referring to God giving authority to government ... when much of the NT was written when a pagan pantheon ruled.
    So IF they did get authority from a deity to rule - it would be from their pantheon, not the God of Abraham.

This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at June 1, 2018 1:08 PM MDT
      May 31, 2018 3:49 PM MDT

and how about coffee
      May 31, 2018 8:17 PM MDT

If He didn't have such a great sense of humor, I might suspect a lightning bolt.  But looking over the last year or so, I suspect occasionally "by accident"---or perhaps as a  "test of our faith."
      May 31, 2018 8:25 PM MDT

Karma.  As in be careful what you are endowed with.  Fame can be hell.  
      May 31, 2018 8:29 PM MDT

God cannot give authority. God was created by humans, and thus exists as a self-fulfilling prophecy only in the minds of those who choose to believe God exists.
      June 1, 2018 1:07 PM MDT