Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Rednecks get red necks from sunburn. What about the rest of the body? Why not redface redhand redarm redfoot? Why just redneck?

Rednecks get red necks from sunburn. What about the rest of the body? Why not redface redhand redarm redfoot? Why just redneck?

Posted - June 3, 2018

Responses

I have heard it told that rednecks are southern farmers who wear bandanas (usually red) around their necks to block sunburn. 

June 3, 2018 6:46 AM MDT

Oh. That makes a whole lotta sense bh. I guess I got it a **backwards. Thanks for the correction! :)
      June 3, 2018 6:50 AM MDT

I believe the sunburnt neck is how the term came about. Working on a farm you neck is exposed more than just being outside...so many times just your neck is burnt and not your face....often have a hat on for shade etc. As for red foot etc....we wear clothes. Just think of working in your garden. Out there with your shovel/hoe, you are bent over with your neck exposed and face to the ground.  
    And unusally trying to prevent the sunburn was done with the old red bandanna. 
      June 3, 2018 6:53 AM MDT

I worked on a farm for two years back in the 80s so guess I would have qualified then.  But being I can't recall any northerners (as I am) being called that back then. Though now some northerners like to refer to themselves as that.  I do garden and jog and sometimes walk outside so do still get some sun - enough to tan lightly naturally in summer. 
      June 3, 2018 7:17 AM MDT