Active Now

Randy D
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Can the Devil take away people’s free will?

Can the Devil take away people’s free will?

Can a good person become possessed by the Devil and do sinful things without being responsible for their actions?

Posted - June 7, 2018

Responses

You are responsible for what allowed the possession in the first place. Don't wallow in mud, go to a restaurant and when they don't let you in holler "not my fault I am dirty". Not an exact analogy but you get the point. A good person in YH's eyes does not get possessed. In your eyes whose to say? This post was edited by O-uknow at June 7, 2018 8:55 AM MDT
      June 7, 2018 7:24 AM MDT

I try to be a good person. There are times when I find myself doing things that wouldnt please Jesus. I do things that are selfish. I want to please him but I’m not fully committed. I still lust after women and smoke pot. I don’t love brother all the time.John 4:20 If a man says, I love God, and hates his brother, he is a liar: for he that loves not his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?

If I’m not possessed then why do I hate my brother? Why am I damaging my body by smoking weed? Why am I lusting after women? Maybe I’m just not a good person, I don’t know
      June 7, 2018 9:34 AM MDT

The apostle paul said these words: "i find, then, this law in my case: when I wish to do what is righ, what is bad is present with me. I really delight in the law of God according to the man i am within, but i see in my body another law warring against the law of my mind and leading me captive to sin's law that is in my body. (Romans 7:21-24)though Paul was an outstanding christian, he candidly admitted to others his personal struggles he went through constantly. This post was edited by Autumnleaves at June 8, 2018 7:04 AM MDT
      June 7, 2018 11:47 PM MDT

first a minor typo the verse you quoted is not from the Gospel attributed to John but from the first letter attributed to him.

you say "I find myself doing things that wouldnt please Jesus" but Jesus taught people to do things that would please God ["For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother”] and he himself came to do things that would please God ["my food is to do the will of the one who sent me"]
      June 10, 2018 8:34 AM MDT

No we have to give it away in one way or another.   And we are responsible for our actions no matter what the inspiration. 
      June 7, 2018 8:25 AM MDT

Why do we have to give it away?
      June 7, 2018 8:56 AM MDT

Hopefully we don't give it away.  But we find many reasons that make us want to.  Or sell it.  For whatever reasons. Remember once we sell or give away our freedom we are no longer free.  So many people seem not to think about that. 
      June 7, 2018 9:14 AM MDT

No he can't.  He can lie, tempt and deceive, but we are 100% responsible for how we respond to that.  The devil can only "possess" you if you let him (but he can never make you do anything against your will).
      June 7, 2018 8:39 AM MDT

Was Eve wicked then?
      June 7, 2018 9:03 AM MDT

Please elaborate.  Wicked as in evil?  Immoral?  Corrupt?  
      June 7, 2018 9:15 AM MDT

If she knew nothing of evil then why would she disobey God? If she had free will then why didn’t she use it and say no to the Devil?
      June 7, 2018 9:40 AM MDT

She (and Adam) had free will (the ability to choose for themselves).  The devil TEMPTED her to disobey.  He told her that if she ate the "forbidden fruit" she'd be just like God (a lie).  She could have said "no" (and should have said "no"), but the devil's lies sounded too good to pass up, so she gave in to the temptation.  
    Temptation isn't sin.  Giving into temptation is sin.
      June 7, 2018 9:52 AM MDT

I see all that except the final bit. If you don't know good from bad how can anything be a sin?
      June 10, 2018 8:39 AM MDT

Because she used her free will for herself rather than for God.  Selfishness.  Please understand that the only reason we have free will is that God wants us to willingly glorify Him. 
      June 7, 2018 10:19 AM MDT

Yes it does work for me because I AM the god and the devil that controls my free will.
      June 7, 2018 8:55 AM MDT

No, because the ground troll is no more real than the sky fairy.
      June 7, 2018 6:01 PM MDT