Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Have you ever heard of the Black Poisonwood Tree.....Its where a certain type of Vampirum Bat live. Cuba ,Jamaica , and Florida have them

Have you ever heard of the Black Poisonwood Tree.....Its where a certain type of Vampirum Bat live. Cuba ,Jamaica , and Florida have them

The tree is very poisonous and seriously effects your skin when touched....:( 
How many othere trees are harzardous to the touch....
I know there are many like Oak and Mahogany that are dangerous while machining ...Is poison oak a tree of bush ?  

Posted - June 10, 2018

Responses

Poison Trees, Shrubs, and Vines

Poison Trees, Shrubs, and Vines TREES, SHRUBS And Vines     PLANT TOXIC PART SYMPTOMS Azalea (Rhododendron) All parts Nausea, vomiting, weakness, dizziness, difficulty breathing, loss of balance.             Bittersweet (false) All parts-   Black Locust Tree Bark, sprouts, foliage Children have suffered nausea, weakness and depression after chewing the bark and seeds. Boxwood Leaves Gastric Buck Thorn Leaves, Fruit Intestinal Buckeye (Horse-chestnut) Leaves, branches, flowers, fruit, young sprouts, seeds Nervous system, inflammation of mucus membranes Cherries; Wild and cultivated Twigs, foliage Fatal. Contains a compound that releases cyanide when eaten. Gasping, excitement and prostration are common symptoms. Chinaberry Leaves and fruit Gastric, intestinal, paralysis, respiratory Chokecherry Leaves and pits - Clematis Seed and young plants Gastric, nervous system, depression Daphne Shrub Berries Fatal. A few berries can kill a child. Elderberry All parts, especially roots Children have been poisoned by using pieces of the pithy stems for blowguns. Nausea and digestive upset. English ivy Leaves and berries Nervous system, respiratory Golden Chain Tree Bean-like capsules in which the seeds are suspended Severe poisoning. Excitement, staggering, convulsions and coma. May be fatal. Holly (Yaupon) Berries Gastric, intestinal Hydrangea Leaves, buds Gastic, intestinal, Jasmine Berries Fatal. Digestive disturbance and nervous symptoms. Lantana Camara (Red Sage) Green berries Fatal. Affects lungs, kidneys, heart and nervous system. Grows in the southern U.S. And in moderate climates. Laurels All parts Fatal. Produces nausea and vomiting, depression, difficult breathing, prostration and coma. Mountain laurel Leaves, twigs, flowers Gastric, paralysis, convulsion Oaks Foliage, acorns Affects kidneys gradually. Symptoms appear only after several days or weeks. Takes a large amount for poisoning. Wisteria Vine Seeds, pods Mild to severe digestive upset. Many children are poisoned by this plant. Yew Berries, foliage Fatal. Foliage more toxic than berries. Death is usually sudden without warning symptoms.  
      June 10, 2018 1:14 PM MDT

You forgot peach and apricot pits. (The seed inside that hard part.) Cyanide. Enough to kill a child.
      June 10, 2018 1:20 PM MDT

Well now i think ill just have to go shoot myself. ;P
      June 10, 2018 1:21 PM MDT

Please use a marshmallow gun.

June 10, 2018 1:24 PM MDT

I prefer this one.;)
      June 10, 2018 1:28 PM MDT

I gotta get one of those.
      June 10, 2018 3:55 PM MDT

I never knew that.......I knew Apple pips contain it ,but you have to eat a cup ful to kill you...:( 
      June 10, 2018 3:13 PM MDT

I will eat the apple seeds to get a slight rush. Never more than ten.
      June 10, 2018 3:56 PM MDT

My god.....how long did it take to right all that..:) This post was edited by Nice Jugs at June 10, 2018 4:10 PM MDT
      June 10, 2018 3:03 PM MDT

(wiki)...shhh.
      June 10, 2018 3:58 PM MDT

((((((OK))))))). I'll keep Stum....:) 
      June 10, 2018 4:44 PM MDT

I copied and pasted it from another web site. ;)
      June 10, 2018 4:10 PM MDT

Its bark contains the same substance, urushiol, that is found in poison ivy. Some people don't react to it. I didn't for until I was about 50 and cleaned op a large patch of it. It was very itchy and burning. I got it on my chest, legs and a very special other place I won't mention. Yikes.
      June 10, 2018 1:16 PM MDT

I think we get delicate as we age - there is a plant around here and some people have a reaction to it and some don't. I never had a reaction to it until I was in my late 50's. After my first bad reaction  I became real sensitive to the plant now I can't even get close to it. Cheers! 
      June 10, 2018 1:29 PM MDT

Wow..:( 
      June 10, 2018 3:16 PM MDT

Manchineel (Hippomane mancinella) grows in the Florida Keys and Everglades. Every part of the manchineel tree is poisonous. Contact with this tree can be fatal.Sep 22, 2015
    Poisonous trees in Florida | Florida Hikes!
    https://floridahikes.com/floridas-toxic-trees

The Incredible Coincidence of a Poisonous Tree Growing Next to Its Antidote

These trees, found in Mexico and parts of Central America, are an arborlogical wonder.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-incredible-coincidence-of-a-poisonous-tree-growing-next-to-its-antidote

June 10, 2018 5:33 PM MDT