Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Do you know of any novel which started life as a short story in its own right, and later got built upon with time into a longer work?

Do you know of any novel which started life as a short story in its own right, and later got built upon with time into a longer work?

Posted - June 11, 2018

Responses

This short, true story: Narrative of the Most Extraordinary and Distressing Shipwreck of the Whale-Ship Essex, served as the basis for the Novel, Moby Dick by Herman Melville. 
      June 11, 2018 8:35 PM MDT

• Read Dickens.

There is no one way that a novel starts.
      June 11, 2018 8:42 PM MDT

Another example is Ursula K Le Guin's short story "Semley's necklace", It was later expanded and published as a novel "Rocannons World". Both are fine writing and well worth reading. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at June 15, 2018 5:02 PM MDT
      June 11, 2018 11:58 PM MDT

Anne McCaffrey's Catteni sequence - Freedom's Landing, Freedom's ChoiceFreedom's Challenge and Freedom's Ransom.
    First written as a free standing "short" entitled The Thorns of Barevi (included in her anthology Get Off the Unicorn), it was originally an unashamed "smut" story and McCaffrey was disappointed with it - so she rewrote it as the first chapter of a novel (which then became a tetralogy), omitting the rape-cum-willing submission of the heroine (which became a love/lust between the two protagonists but MUCH later, with her quite as much the instigator as he and not the climax or even the point of the story) and it's a brilliant sf fantasy.
      June 12, 2018 2:58 AM MDT

I have been thinking about entering a short story contest. (I have won 7th place in a large metro newspaper contest that had 1000 entries)  This short story could easily expand into a novel, but to hold the quality that is in the short story, well, I don't think I have enough years left on the calendar of life. 
      June 12, 2018 6:20 AM MDT

Some great movies grew from short stories.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/best-short-stories-movie-adaptations_us_57b5c53ce4b095b2f542c311
      June 12, 2018 1:40 PM MDT

'Flowers for Algernon' by Daniel Keyes is a good example I think. The story was later made into a film starring Cliff Robertson as Charlie.
      June 27, 2018 3:06 PM MDT