Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » California splitting into three separate States. What do you think?

California splitting into three separate States. What do you think?

Posted - June 13, 2018

Responses

It won't happen.

Based on the most recent precedent from 1863, it appears most likely that the U.S. Constitution requires a state's legislature—along with the Congress—to consent before that state is split into two or more new states.  And I don't see either the California legislature nor Congress giving up the power California has as a whole state.

Texas is actually the only state with power to split itself into multiple states without Congressional approval.  As many as five states, a privilege given to it as a unique condition of its annexation to the Union in 1845.

June 13, 2018 3:19 PM MDT

• I can't say either way - not enough info.

Looking at the proposed map, I wondered at the reasoning behind those boundaries.

How would it work for voting demographics? Three new voting blocks could change the results of presidential elections and thus affect the whole of the USA.

How would it affect coordination of emergency services along the San Andreas fault-line?

What are the differences between wealth and poverty in the different regions? Would the wealthier areas keep more of their taxes to themselves, and the poorer areas have less of a safety net?

How would it affect local state laws?

Would populations migrate towards or away from these changes?

For some things, a higher degree of local democratic control is preferable, especially in ecological matters.
    It gives people more autonomy over their lives.
    For other things, collective power and size helps all. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at June 13, 2018 9:31 PM MDT
      June 13, 2018 3:23 PM MDT

Just curious...I saw it on the news this morning.
      June 13, 2018 3:25 PM MDT

"California" will be it's own little world. Kind of like it is now.  DeNero will be the Governor no doubt. 
    Being a republican will be against the law.  They will build wall around the state and require permits to pass through.  You can move there if a panel of "experts" say you can.  
    Joy Behar will be the State prosecuting attorney and lock up all republicans. All immigrants will be shipped to Northern and southern California because they would block the view of the ocean.
    (or some other excuse).   

June 13, 2018 3:25 PM MDT

HAHAHAHA!!! :D
      June 13, 2018 9:31 PM MDT

:  )  
      June 14, 2018 4:43 AM MDT

I don't think that will happen. But if it does I don't think it will be good for us.
      June 13, 2018 3:32 PM MDT

That was an old joke even when I first heard it back in the 50s.

They wanted to divide the state at San Francisco. But Santa Barbara wanted to be in Northern California, so they moved the line. Then another city wanted to be part of Northern California, and another, and eventually San Diego wanted to join Northern California. So Los Angeles was the only place left in Southern California, and that was the only thing they really wanted, but they didn't want to give Los Angeles the power of a state, so they dropped the plan.
      June 13, 2018 6:06 PM MDT

If they were going to become three separate states, you would think that at least two of them would not have the name California in it, although there is West Virginia and Virginia, but no East Virginia.  I can't see this happening, though.
      June 13, 2018 6:22 PM MDT

There should be at least one that still kept the name but with "New" in front of it.
    "New California" As far as keeping the name the parts that want to break should fight for the right to. It should not be automatic. The name itself has market value. This post was edited by O-uknow at June 15, 2018 5:52 AM MDT
      June 15, 2018 5:42 AM MDT

Look how the boundaries are drawn.  San Diego gets a state, LA gets a state, and SanFran gets a state.  Six senators controlled by those three xxxxxxxxs.  

It's a no go.  Make the entire coast one state, fine and dandy.

If the voters go for it, which I don't think they will, it would require approval by the U.S. Congress. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at June 13, 2018 9:29 PM MDT
      June 13, 2018 9:14 PM MDT

I think it would be best if it just cracked off into the Pacific Ocean. ;+
      June 13, 2018 9:29 PM MDT

See how I said "Make the entire coast one state...."  Yeah, we're on the same page!
      June 13, 2018 9:37 PM MDT

Yes. Then it can become one big FLOATER!
      June 13, 2018 9:41 PM MDT

Well said, hahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHA omg that is classic. 
      June 14, 2018 4:44 AM MDT

• Dumb. Not going to happen. Dream on.
      June 14, 2018 8:21 PM MDT

It would have stood a slightly better chance had Hillary won but she didn't so the pressure is lessened to break up the Democrat's grip on the state.
      June 14, 2018 10:55 PM MDT

Well, at least you would be able to buy a compass in L.A. They don't sell compasses in L.A. now. Nobody wants to buy something that only points to San Francisco.
      June 14, 2018 11:34 PM MDT