Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Mystery Yellow dots on Don's new car from a tree. Even after washing it 3 times,they reappear. Any ideas &how to get rid of them?

Mystery Yellow dots on Don's new car from a tree. Even after washing it 3 times,they reappear. Any ideas &how to get rid of them?

Posted - June 14, 2018

Responses

As long as you park the car near that tree where the wind blows the "mustard-like" substance onto it, you'll never be able to avoid it.  It's some kind of tree sap that dries quickly into a powdery dot that hones in on freshly-washed cars faster than the US Navy radar and sonar technology can find enemy ships and subs.  I have the exact problem from a tree in my front yard, so we have stopped parking our cars there.
    ~
      June 14, 2018 9:41 PM MDT

Ding! Ding! Ding!  Thank you Randy.  You hit it RIGHT on the money!!!  Now, what did you do about the paint on your cars?  Do they look like they have the chicken pox?  Dons does.  
    We've looked up every thing on the internet and are afraid to try some of the suggestions.  For some reason, rubbing alcohol and car paint just don't seem to go hand-in-hand in my mind. 
    We were thinking about peanut butter.  Maybe the oil will pull it out. 
    Of course!  The obvious answer... Don't park your cars there anymore.  Unfortunately, in our car port it is the only place to park.  Investing in a car cover will probably be our best bet.  It will be cheaper than a new paint job. Until then, we're stuck.  Ugh!!
      June 14, 2018 10:27 PM MDT

Tree puss?
      June 14, 2018 10:02 PM MDT

Good Guess!  I like it.  The behavior of this goo acts just like puss, only it's stickier.  Thanks O-uknow.  Now, how do we get rid of it?  We've looked up Sap and Tar and it keeps coming back! Ugh!
      June 14, 2018 10:22 PM MDT

Car cover if you have the time or mix some kind of repellent to tree puss.
      June 14, 2018 10:25 PM MDT

Exactly.  A little less expensive than a new paint job.. but the chicken pox look just isn't cutting it..  I must have skipped this paragraph in the car-care book.  :)
      June 14, 2018 10:29 PM MDT

What color is the car?
    ~
      June 15, 2018 9:26 PM MDT

Hi Ran Man~ It's a dark-grey, metalic color.  You'll know this description: :)~ It a Mazda 3 Hatchback, 2017, color. You know it because you have passed them on the road from time to time over the past year or so. :) :)
    They are STILL There!  We're going to try Spunky Sr.'s idea with the Goo Gone.  We also did try peanut butter and surprisingly, it worked a little bit. 
    It is really a BIG< FAT< DRAG!!!!!!!  :(
    It's great to see YOU though!! :) :)
      June 17, 2018 7:33 PM MDT

I hope you find the right solution, my friend!  My regards to Don.

:)
      June 17, 2018 7:45 PM MDT

He's says "Back at cha!  If he finds 'the cure,' he'll let you know, for sure!"
    ;) :) This post was edited by Merlin at June 17, 2018 7:50 PM MDT
      June 17, 2018 7:50 PM MDT

You could try a produce called Goo Gone.  It's used to remove those sticky adhesive labels from items and it shouldn't hurt the paint.  When i picked up some road tar on my car, the car wash used gasoline to remove it.  that might also work without stripping the paint.  
      June 15, 2018 8:57 AM MDT

Hi Spunky Senior~ :)  I think you're onto something.  The Goo Gone we have and I've heard that works too.  I'm going to try it on one of the spots tonight.  I"ll let you know.
    Thanks for your input and taking the moment to respond.  We really appreciate it.  Love, Merlin :) :)
      June 17, 2018 7:30 PM MDT

My pleasure.  I hope it works. :)
      June 17, 2018 8:07 PM MDT

:) :)
      June 17, 2018 8:12 PM MDT

It's a sugary exudate from the leaves.

What might work on the sap without harming the paintwork is a garage-type hand-cleaner. Use it as you would on your hands, without water first, then wash off with car-shampoo and water.

Another candidate cleaner, which is very good for cleaning cooking-fat from stainless-steel panels, is baby oil! I don't know what's in it, but it softens the fat. Let it work on the tree-sap for a bit, without drying too much, then wash as above.

Fresh orange or lemon juice (not a cordial form) might work too, though a bit wasteful of fruit!

I don't know if the above will work, but are ideas I'd try on my own car.

I have used one type ( "Swarfega") very effectively to clear the grease from a badly-smeared windscreen on a long wet Winter night-drive in heavy traffic. In that case I simply lathered the screen with a hefty dollop of Swarfega on my hand, then cleaned if off with the screen-washers.  
      December 17, 2018 4:58 PM MST