Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Family » Tomorrow is Fathers' Day in the US, happy Fathers' Day to all fathers! My question is:

Tomorrow is Fathers' Day in the US, happy Fathers' Day to all fathers! My question is:

Are there more mothers in the world, or more fathers?  
(This refers only to women and men who have conceived children, are the step-parents of children, are the adoptive parents of children, and it specifically includes only those who are currently alive, not deceased people.)

Posted - June 16, 2018

Responses

Google it...It's been a long, hot day.
      June 16, 2018 3:37 PM MDT

Thank you, but whenever I post questions on AnswerMug, I am seeking answers that derive from members' thoughts, opinions, ideas, etc., not what I could find myself if I were to go to google.  That's not why I'm on AnswerMug, merely to get an answer, it's the human interaction I seek.        

I do know that some members' responses are directly from google and other such sources, but to suggest to me that I google it myself not only defeats the reason I posted the question, it misses the point entirely.
    --
      June 16, 2018 4:00 PM MDT

Exactly my sentiments.
      June 16, 2018 4:06 PM MDT

When I am this hot and tired I caan't think.
      June 17, 2018 6:16 AM MDT

¿Y eso?  Eres que tiene la culpa, nosotros no.

~

June 17, 2018 6:34 AM MDT

You 2 sound like the Odd Couple!!  Goodness!

Are you and Element spatting?  
      June 17, 2018 9:01 PM MDT

You seek perspective and will have a hard time when the AnswerMug A.I takes over.
      June 17, 2018 10:51 PM MDT

Its probably equal, married and not, because it takes two to tango, and both sexes are sluts. ;)
      June 16, 2018 4:58 PM MDT

Huh?
    ~
      June 16, 2018 7:18 PM MDT

None of the answers so far have taken into account that the numbers might not balance due to unequal death rates between men and women. Surviving parents might be represented more by one gender as opposed to the other. 
    ~
      June 16, 2018 7:21 PM MDT

Yes. -cricket- -cricket- -cricket-------
      June 16, 2018 7:45 PM MDT

A woman can only one baby daddy at a time, but a man can have multiple baby mamas. So, I would say there are more fathers than mothers, especially if you include sperm donors who don't stick around to help raise the child.
      June 16, 2018 6:01 PM MDT

We should also take into account mommas who have had children by multiple partners. Could we also cite the non-participants such as priests to balance the sides? This post was edited by Don Barzini at June 17, 2018 9:02 PM MDT
      June 16, 2018 6:08 PM MDT

My point was that they can only have one pregnancy per partner at a time, not that they could not have multiple pregnancies by different partners. A man is not limited to fathering one child and then waiting until that child is born to have another.
      June 16, 2018 6:19 PM MDT

None of the answers so far have taken into account that the numbers might not balance due to unequal death rates between men and women. Surviving parents might be represented more by one gender as opposed to the other.
    ~
      June 16, 2018 7:22 PM MDT

Nor have they taken into account that men can continue to father children well into old age; women stop reproducing at a sensible age. No answer is going to cover all the variables such as that a single sperm donor can father dozens or more children in his lifetime, same sex couples can adopt children, and whether or not an adopted child or a stepchild has more than one mother or more than one father. This post was edited by Jane S at June 17, 2018 4:47 AM MDT
      June 16, 2018 7:45 PM MDT

Good point. 
      June 16, 2018 7:28 PM MDT

Merci. 
    ~
      June 16, 2018 7:36 PM MDT

Kind of a gross thought... that last one.  A point well-taken - But, man, did we have to go there?  Yes.  O.k. You're right. 
    Still, Ick!
      June 17, 2018 9:03 PM MDT

Since biology dictates that it takes one of each gender, no more, no less, to produce each mammalian offspring, one might think the number to be more or less equivalent in humans.
    In the animal kingdom there are definitely more mommas than poppas as the dominant males of many species get the privilege of mating with all the females. 

Why did we get away from that? 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at June 17, 2018 4:47 AM MDT
      June 16, 2018 6:05 PM MDT

~
      June 16, 2018 7:22 PM MDT

Happy Fathers Day !
      June 16, 2018 7:24 PM MDT

Hey, did I see discrimination there against dead people? In the interests of fairness should you not open this question up to dead people too? 

The obvious answer is there are equal numbers.. even if a man has a second family with a woman or vice versa.. .even if the baby is conceived by artificial insemination. 

I generally answer without reading other people's responses - I do this so that my answer is uninfluenced by others. However, in this case I looked at what others said.. I looked at what you said... 

I don't think we have any stats on it really...

But if we are going to exclude dead fathers and mothers... then we would also be excluding men who were fathers because they donated sperm, or because they didn't know that someone became pregnant? Would we exclude women who had given birth but who gave the baby up for adoption or in surrogacy? 

I am mindful that in the not so distance past many women used to die in childbirth, even now it's not unknown.. the mortality rate was very high - young women dying. 

SO I think it's not as simple to give a straight answer to this one...  

It does make one think... but I am thinking too that actually, just as mothers no longer die all that often from childbirth in most western countries, they do say now that the gap between men and women in terms of age when they die is lessening and men may even have caught up...  SO hopefully that's good news for fathers everywhere. 
      June 17, 2018 4:21 AM MDT

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32512343

That's a link to a story from the BBC  - I seem to recall that you don't like to look at links  - that's fine.. no worries but perhaps if you get time have a look around to see if you can't find stories saying similar. 
      June 17, 2018 4:24 AM MDT