Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Is a replica of the body of Christ nailed to a crucifix not only in bad taste but also suggests he is not risen as much as a

Is a replica of the body of Christ nailed to a crucifix not only in bad taste but also suggests he is not risen as much as a

bare cross or an empty tomb would suggest he is?

Posted - June 21, 2018

Responses

There are different Christian traditions on this one. 
      June 21, 2018 3:28 AM MDT

I don't know but if he ever comes back and enters a christian church it is sure to kick off a very severe bout of PTSD
      June 21, 2018 8:23 AM MDT

• Catholics like to remind people of Christ's suffering and death. 
      June 21, 2018 9:46 AM MDT

As if he weren’t one of thousands to have met the same grim fate. 
      June 21, 2018 2:40 PM MDT

Only one of thousands to be resurrected and is why the focus.
      June 21, 2018 9:32 PM MDT

Aye, agreed. Catholics like to do everything contrary to what is taught in scripture and/or suggested. They commemorate his death when they should be celebrating his resurrection. Pagan Easter, another mockery, doesn't count. Scripture says no one to God but through Christ. Catholics have you go through a priest, Mary and/or anything but Christ. The list goes on. The Catholic RELIGION is Babylonian. The halo by the way is a representation not of holiness but of illumination or again sungod worship.
      June 21, 2018 9:30 PM MDT

YOU HAVE OFFENDED ME. I AM OFFENDED. TAKE YOUR PURITAN BACKWOODS THOUGHTS TO A DIFFERENT INTERNET.
      June 21, 2018 9:34 PM MDT

You should get out occasionally and talk to some of the Catholics who are living proof of the truth of their religion and how it has been instrumental to their personal growth.

All you ever say is it can't possibly be the true religion.  I see no indication that you have any personal experience with Catholicism that allows you to come to that conclusion.

Strange to see someone like you speaking from a pulpit and telling us what is good and evil.
      June 26, 2018 4:27 PM MDT

That is a pagan tradition, along with veneration of Mary as "mother of god", praying to saints, praying to statues, rosary beads, sunrise services, glorifying rabbits and eggs and crosses, claiming that Peter was the first pope, and on and on. They reduce the savior to either a helpless infant or a dying man.

Christianity is entirely defined by Romans 10:9 & 10 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

June 21, 2018 1:47 PM MDT

Do you have any reason to think that because it is written in the bible that it is actually true?
      June 21, 2018 2:16 PM MDT

The bible was written for believers. If you don't believe then it is nonsense by definition and there is no reason to discuss it. The bible asks me to preach the gospel, not to persuade people to believe it. Believers know who they are, and unbelievers are on their own.
      November 30, 2018 6:30 AM MST

Aye, indeed and would agree in total but calling The Savior "Jesus" is a problem for me.
      June 21, 2018 9:35 PM MDT

Some people claim that our Lord should not be referred to as “Jesus.” Instead, we should only use the name "Yeshua" or "Iesous". The Bible nowhere commands us to only speak or write His name in Hebrew or Greek. It never even hints at such an idea. That said and for what it's worth, I personally call Him Lord. :)
      September 27, 2018 12:18 PM MDT

Yes, publicly displaying a graven image of a man’s corpse succumbed to a horrible pagan torture is in exceedingly poor taste. Always was. 

I consider iconography like stars, crosses and crescents and the like essentially innocuous and more conducive to a positive message. 
      June 21, 2018 2:38 PM MDT

Actually, Christ was never nailed to a cross according to the Bible.
      June 21, 2018 9:31 PM MDT

Aye, indeed and should be pointed out. Thank you.
      June 21, 2018 9:36 PM MDT

I think so too. ;))
      June 21, 2018 9:38 PM MDT

He was crucified, died and was buried---which a depiction of such a crucifixion in that way (with His body nailed to a cross) would suggest.

The whole of his suffering, death and resurrection was a fulfillment of what had been foretold in the Scriptures.

And of course, the resurrection worked backward in time ans well as forward, and a new reality was established thereby.

And until a person realizes that, that person will never understand the Catholic Church.

Edit:  John 20:26 refers to His hands. This post was edited by tom jackson at June 21, 2018 11:08 PM MDT
      June 21, 2018 11:03 PM MDT

Well I always thought so but then I grew up Protestant and not Roman Catholic.  But its to symbolize Christ's sacrifice to atone for our sins. 
      June 22, 2018 5:05 AM MDT

Q "Is a replica of the body of Christ nailed to a crucifix not only in bad taste but also suggests he is not risen as much as a
    bare cross or an empty tomb would suggest he is?"
    ======================================================================================

Well, a bare cross or an empty tomb could suggest that we're still looking for someone to put on or in it. On the other hand, a huge crucifix outside a church building with a limp body nailed to it and a graveyard close by could suggest to anyone not aware of the Christian narrative that the building offers a crucifixion and burial service.

Perhaps the reason why people wear the gruesome image, strangely quite happily, around their bodies rather than a jubilant image is that nowhere in the Gospels in any of his post crucifixion appearances did Jesus say anything about the salvation. There is nothing even remotely resembling, "Yay, we did it. I sacrificed my life for you and you're now all free of sins."

June 24, 2018 6:26 AM MDT

People wear the stupid cross because it was a carryover from the Babylon Mystery Religion. The king Nimrod died and his wife Astarte had a baby boy five years later. She told everybody it was Nimrod's son and also Nimrod reincarnated, and then she started a church to worship this bastard. His name was Tammuz and churchgoers wore a letter 'T' on a necklace, same as misguided Christians do today.

Astarte = Eostre = Ishtar = Easter
      June 24, 2018 6:48 AM MDT

Aye, indeed. Good research :)
    I try not to dump everything on them in one question :)
    His wife was also his mother.
    What a family :( This post was edited by O-uknow at June 24, 2018 11:12 AM MDT
      June 24, 2018 11:10 AM MDT

Oh, please---don't hesitate on account of me.
      June 26, 2018 4:14 PM MDT

The origin of something inanimate is meaningless when it is used for a different symbolism as it is today.

But if some do God's work, I suppose it is to be expected that someone does the devil's work as well.
      June 26, 2018 4:20 PM MDT