Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Don't read the question if you're very "delicate". I warned you. Is all poop alike? Is it only cow poop that is used for fertilizer? Why?

Don't read the question if you're very "delicate". I warned you. Is all poop alike? Is it only cow poop that is used for fertilizer? Why?

Posted - June 21, 2018

Responses

No.  The simple answer is - what goes in is what comes back out.  While all poop is "fertilizer", some is less nutritious than others and some may contain undesirable ingredients.    Some poop, such as human, can contain parasites, germs and chemicals (from the foods eaten). 
    Nature sometimes uses poop to propagate plants.  Meaning the seed goes in but isn't digested, and is then pooped back out (in a nice warm, semi-moist incubator).  While the packaged poop you buy at stores is heated to try and kill off theses seeds and "critters", some of them can still survive.  Some animals are left to graze freely on anything (e.g. sheep, goats), and they're not too particular on what they eat.  Therefore seeds form undesirable plants can come out in their poop and germinate (how did I get milk thistle in my garden?).  Some poop is lacking in nutrients that plants need (e.g. magnesium, phosphorus) therefore it doesn't make good fertilizer.

Straight poop can be detrimental to many plants as it contains chemicals which can burn their roots and/or leaves (e.g. ammonia).  That's why you shouldn't stick a plant into straight poop, but rather blend it into or let it leach into the soil (although sometimes fish poop (emulsion) is ok)

And that's the poop on poop.
      June 21, 2018 8:43 AM MDT

Most impressive my friend. Thank you for the excellent scoop on poop. Here's the backstory of why I asked the question. An Answermug pal replied to one of my question and included  picture of a statue of poop! I'm not kidding. Who wants a statue of that? But it got me to thinking about cats and dogs and bulls and chickens. Wondered if anyone ever successfully fertilized with such "ingredients". Thanks so much for answering with much helpful information and for taking the question seriously, although with a gleam in your eye and good humor! I appreciate it! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 21, 2018 1:24 PM MDT
      June 21, 2018 9:26 AM MDT