Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Would women be okay with a man having more than one wife if that man also has more than one million $$$ ?

Would women be okay with a man having more than one wife if that man also has more than one million $$$ ?

In scripture a man can have more than one wife not to say he should. Many should have not even one.

Posted - June 21, 2018

Responses

Wife is a complicated word. Scripture says one thing and the states say another.  If you think about it for just a second, when you get "married," you are actually marrying the "state" in which you receive the papers from the courts.  The ceremonies and reception are for relgious and partying purposes.  All are great reasons to celebrate the love between two people.

As brutal as this sounds, it is really for tax purposes according to the government. And, THAT is what makes it "legal."

It has always been my belief that two people who truly would like to share their lives together marry from their hearts.  Money is irrelevant. The rest is just legalistic. 
    If those two people are o.k. with adding another, that should be their business, not the states.

It would never fly with me.  But, I certainly don't place judgement on those who do. 

This post was edited by Merlin at June 21, 2018 11:04 PM MDT
      June 21, 2018 10:19 PM MDT

• I agree with Merlin that the essence of a good marriage resides in the heart and only the heart.

But human cultures have had countless models for marriage.

Among Aborigines in Australia before the white invasion, love was never an issue. The sole qualification for marriage was the degree of genetic separation necessary to avoid incest.

Mohammed ruled that one man could have up to four wives, but only if he could afford to keep them and their offspring, treated them equally and the existing wives agreed to each new bride. He made this ruling for several reasons. One was that there was so much war in his lifetime that there were too many widows. Another was the practice of female infanticide. Parents were burying their female babies alive (they saw suffocation under the earth as not technically murder) because there were insufficient men to marry their daughters. Thus Mohammed's solution was a compassionate one for the circumstances of the day.

Humans can adapt to a huge variety of situations if necessity demands it.

June 22, 2018 1:38 AM MDT

But men who don't have anywhere near that can and do have more than one wife.  That is the reality.  Not a matter of money but of consent.  I would not want to be in such a situation because I want my husband, our home, our marriage and not have to share my position with anyone else.  What anyone else chooses to do is up to them. I know women who have two or three husbands in those group marriage things. 
      June 22, 2018 4:58 AM MDT

Indeed I've seen many a proclaimed religious person say that the bible tells him he can have more than one wife.. but it also says a whole bunch of other stuff that indicates that that isn't the norm and would be only under special conditions.. like to protect a woman, who back then had no means of supporting herself..  That doesn't apply now so imo the religious point is mute. 

My own personal beliefs are that most men struggle to satisfy one woman let alone more than one... and that the natural order as far as i am concerned is for a woman to have more than one husband but that's another story :P
      June 22, 2018 12:57 PM MDT

OOh forgot to make my main point which was to be, that the bible definitely doesn't say a man can have more than one wife if he is rich.. so I think that that's the least valid reason for having more than one wife 
      June 22, 2018 12:58 PM MDT