Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » THE ONE TRUE RELIGION?????

THE ONE TRUE RELIGION?????

So......the catholic church claims it's the 'one true religion'.

where did they get that idea?

if the Jews are God's chosen people, wouldn't that be the 'one true religion'???  why not?

far as I'm concerned, their holidays, etc., coming from God, are IT.

Xmas and Easter and all the 'lent' crap are NOT in the bible anyway, so why the hell do 'christians' celebrate them?

they are not from God,  as the Jewish holidays are, so what the hell????????

I was raised catholic and left home when I was 19...............

I detest 'organized religion' as it has too much of what MAN wants and not what God said.

I feel the bible may be inspired by God, but if so, then why THE HELL ARE THERE DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF IT!?!?!?!!

GEE, I kinda feel sorry for you real 'christians' out there!!!!

SOOOOOOOOOO

can anyone give me their thoughts on any or all of this!!!

and by the way, I NEVER CAPITALIZE 'catholic' as I don't think they deserve the respect of a capital letter!!!!!!!!!!

TEE HEE

LOL

:-D

:)
'

Posted - June 25, 2018

Responses

Eeeeeeek, cringeeeeeeeeeeeee  I hardly know where to start.. religious posts are almost always a minefield I find, and you certainly won't find me getting involved in which religion is best..  I like Jews and I like Christians, as well as whole bunch of other religions, I don't think any one of them has the monopoly on being right, true or proper..  I think, for me the difficulty I have in supporting your post that seems to be that Jews are more right because their stuff came from God... my point there would be... how do you know that|? Have you any proof? Answer is no.. so I am afraid that it's no more right than any others, neither is it more wrong though. 
      June 25, 2018 9:27 AM MDT

As is usually the case in religious topics, you don't know what the words mean. Religion is men telling each other what to do to earn righteousness. Christianity is defined by Romans 10:9&10 and no denomination teaches that. The Roman Catholic church is not Christian, it is the modern form of The Babylon Mystery Religion.

WHY ARE THERE VERSIONS OF THE BIBLE?

The bible was not written in English. There are no English translations. A translation is when you take each word of the original message and replace it with an exact equivalent in the target language. It is possible to translate between Hebrew and Greek, but not English. English requires capital letters and punctuation, which don't exist in Greek and Hebrew.

For example, "pneuma hagion" might refer to God, in which case it must be capitalized, or it might refer to God's gift to man, in which case it is not capitalized. So every time the text says "pneuma hagion" the interpreter must give his opinion of what that means, and that changes it into a version.

Another example is "also". The Greek word "kai" is translated "and", but if it appears at the end of a passage then it is translated "also". We see this in
    Luke 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; 23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
    In Greek you do not begin a sentence with "and". To obey the rules of the language, that must be included with the preceding passage and translated "also" -- "The rich man also died and was buried also in hell." Verse 23 then begins "Lifting up his eyes," etc.

The original text had no chapter divisions, page headings, or verse numbers. Oh, and no center references. There are places where versions put a chapter number in the middle of a sentence. John 8:1 for instance. Chapter 7 should be "Every man went to his own house. Jesus went to the mount of olives."

Then we have figures of speech. There are almost a thousand different kinds of figures, all carefully categorized by Greek scholars and almost forgotten by everybody since then. An English minister wrote a list of the kinds with a brief description of each, and that is the only work in the field in the last two thousand years. A figure of speech is a departure from normal discourse for the purpose of emphasizing or embellishing something. One of the trickiest figures is the idiom: a word or phrase that has special meaning in a certain location.
    1 Corinthians 15:29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?
    Mormons claim that this documents the practice of baptising living people in behalf of dead people. There never was any such practice. It is an idiom: "dead" means corpses, and "the dead" means departed people. Properly translated, it says "Else what shall they do which are baptized? [It is] for corpses if the dead rise not at all. Why are they then baptized? [It is] for corpses."

So as long as interpreters have to inject their own opinions of what the text says, some people are willing to inject their own opinions of what they wish it would have said. And that is why there are so many versions.

In the 19th century Americans started moving west and three institutions went with them. There was vaudeville, traveling entertainment. There was lyceum, traveling education and culture. And there was the itinerant preacher, offering a new style of preaching called "hell fire and brim stone". It was very entertaining, only loosely based on scripture, and pastors didn't even try to compete. Instead they switched to preaching public morality and philosophy. Eventually an entire generation grew up not knowing the first thing about the religion they claimed to believe. That is why most Christian churches don't teach doctrines, and most members don't know what they are supposed to believe.

June 25, 2018 11:44 AM MDT

The fact that every current theistic religion (Buddhism is not a theist religion) was derived from or selectively plagiarized something else that came before should raise some red flags.
    All are guided by books that were written and edited by men; the Bible in particular was retranslated numerous times from different languages, copies of copies of copies of copies. Not one primary claim of either of the major theisms can be supported by any historical facts, contemporary written accounts, nor by any presentable evidence. Not one word ever uttered by Jesus, nor Abraham, nor Moses, nor the Angel Gabriel was written down by anyone who heard them speak. Not one event described in the Bible was documented by any person who we know witnessed it. 

Hence the complete reliance upon blind acceptance, or faith, in their alleged truthfulness. A reliance that for centuries has been enforced by fear and murder. Ask yourself if this is a sturdy enough basis upon which to build your worldview. 

An examination of any if these dogma will reveal fantastical stories that all claim to be true, yet none are the same; it is simply not possible that all are true, but very possible, likely even, that none are. This post was edited by Don Barzini at June 26, 2018 9:07 AM MDT
      June 25, 2018 3:07 PM MDT

It might interest you to know that there were eye witnesses to what we mistakenly call creation, and their records totally agree with the description presented in Genesis. They recorded their observations as best they could, carving some records into stones and passing verbal accounts from one generation to the next. It has taken a very long time to interpret these records because they don't describe anything we have seen. For example the legend of the dragon is carved into rocks all over the world, but it is only recently that anybody has noticed a natural effect that fits that description. This is a long book because it tries to cover everything completely.
    www.saturniancosmology.org/ 

But I suppose you won't bother to read it because in spite of your elaborate whining, you don't actually care.

This post was edited by Not Sure at June 26, 2018 10:51 AM MDT
      June 26, 2018 12:09 AM MDT

Keep dreaming, Genesis is a fable. Chapter One doesn’t even agree with Chapter Two, and there is no evidence supporting either one. 
    Oral traditions? Get a clue, won’t you, no one was present 4.6 billion years ago when the earth formed, nor for any of the 5 mass extinctions we have proof of. Even silly Genesis itself refutes your assertion that anyone was present to witness when God allegedly “created“ the world, as Adam is supposedly the last of His “creations” before “He rested” from His storied 6-day exertion, and yet Adam wrote (or carved) nothing of an account, nor did his any of his grandchildren. So much for eyewitnesses.

No doubt you think your one obscure reference is sufficient to counter the mountains of evidence and libraries of research that debunk the childish accounts of Biblical Creation: Plants before the sun, woman from a rib, men living 900 years, and all the rest. But that’s your call. 

Seriously, long past time for so-called intelligent adults to give up denying the findings of real science in preference to legends from ignorant ancients lousy with superstition, and actually learn something. Though I’m sure you will live out your life still preaching that no one really knows anything about anything. That’s too bad. It’s really only you that believes it. This post was edited by Don Barzini at June 26, 2018 7:59 PM MDT
      June 26, 2018 4:51 AM MDT

Don, you are immune to evidence because you have pre-rejected it. Stop blaming other people for your own decision to believe the way you believe. It's your own fault.
      June 26, 2018 10:06 AM MDT

Wrong again. My position on this matter is based on the preponderance of the evidence, a view I have built over decades of personal study. As such, I remain receptive to new evidence. It just so happens I’ve encountered the story in your posted link previously, and find it’s claims to be at least as unconvincing as yours.

What you refuse to assimilate Jewels, (to your own detriment) is that there exists an entire society of people who are more informed and simply better educated on these and other subjects than you are, and considering the quality of your arguments, I’m very clearly among them.  

Perhaps you’d be better served by challenging someone who’s less prepared. This post was edited by Don Barzini at June 26, 2018 7:49 PM MDT
      June 26, 2018 12:22 PM MDT

someone probably gave them that idea
      June 25, 2018 3:58 PM MDT

My thought on "any or all of this"

Let's see---You said "I was raised catholic and left home when I was 19..............."

---So of course you have spent the necessary amount of time studying theology and philosophy so as to be considered an expert on religion.

---And you have studied the Catholic Church and its teachings sufficiently to speak intelligently on them.

---And you fully understand the effects of the Redemption on creation---

Just kidding---of course you haven't---as proved by your question.

But---lucky for you---God always welcomes prodigal sons when they return 
      June 25, 2018 3:59 PM MDT

Why are you SHOUTING, and what's up with the excessive question marks?
      June 26, 2018 12:19 AM MDT

As an ex-Catholic, i remember being told the Catholic church was the true religion. They failed to prove that on many levels. (Matthew 7:15-21)
      June 26, 2018 10:59 PM MDT

Q "THE ONE TRUE RELIGION?????
    So......the catholic church claims it's the 'one true religion'. where did they get that idea?
    if the Jews are God's chosen people, wouldn't that be the 'one true religion'??? why not? far as I'm concerned, their holidays, etc., coming from God, are IT.
    Xmas and Easter and all the 'lent' crap are NOT in the bible anyway, so why the hell do 'christians' celebrate them? they are not from God, as the Jewish holidays are, so what the hell????????
    I was raised catholic and left home when I was 19............... I detest 'organized religion' as it has too much of what MAN wants and not what God said.
    I feel the bible may be inspired by God, but if so, then why THE HELL ARE THERE DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF IT!?!?!?!!
    GEE, I kinda feel sorry for you real 'christians' out there!!!!
    SOOOOOOOOOO can anyone give me their thoughts on any or all of this!!!
    and by the way, I NEVER CAPITALIZE 'catholic' as I don't think they deserve the respect of a capital letter!!!!!!!!!!
    TEE HEE LOL :-D :) '
    ==============================================================================

I think we can all agree that

1. If there isn't, and never was, God then all religions, without exception, are, and always were, man made, certainly not inspired by God.

2. We have no evidence in our daily lives of things happening without causes. We have not grown up with any theories or rational thinking arguing that things can happen without a cause. So even the most insignificant thing or event must have a cause. That being so, the universe, hardly an insignificant thing, must have an ultimate cause or point of convergence.

3. There is no reason why we can't refer to this ultimate cause or point of convergence using the single word God, for convenience.

4. If God is sentient we can assume He [single willed and gender neutral] intended the universe to come into existence and we can therefore attribute the design, creation and functioning of the universe to Him. [Functioning can be attributed to Him because He's the creator of the laws that govern all the functions and processes that regulate every event in the universe]

5. Now if the creation was intentional, not accidental, and the creator can at any time destroy His creation, then it is reasonable to say that He likes His creation and therefore wants the best for it.

6. If He wants the best for free-willed beings on earth and He is omniscient then it is reasonable that He would send these free-willed beings wherever they lived guidance which would be revised from time to time to match their developing knowledge and abilities. This guidance then would be the one true religion.

7. Though this one true religion would have been evolving or developing, its essential core message would be unchanging and would a] introduce and describe God, and b] say that it is in man's best interest to do the will of their creator and omniscient God and not follow their own whims and desires.

8. This one true religion would be in the Vedas [which never mentions Hinduism] and in the teachings of tens of thousands of guides who were genuinely sent by God to all people all over the world, including Moses [whose teachings do not mention Judaism] Jesus [whose teachings do not mention Christianity] and Mohammed [whose teachings claim to be the final manifestation of this one true religion]

This post was edited by CLURT at June 28, 2018 9:11 AM MDT
      June 27, 2018 8:37 PM MDT

Yes...Jews are God's chosen people. The Bible is very clear on that. Those of us who choose to believe in the God of the Bible are grafted into their family. We did not and do not replace them.

There are not "different versions" of the Bible. There are different translations as the Bible was not orginally written in English. It was written in Hebrew and Greek. 
      July 10, 2018 11:55 AM MDT

There is an element of truth in all religions even if I don't believe that there is any true one.
    Most claim the there's is the only true religion so I guess it depends on who and what you believe.

July 29, 2018 6:15 PM MDT

There is abundant evidence to conclude that the literal Jewish nation no longer enjoys God's favor. Jesus Christ himself stated that Israel was being abandoned. (Matthew 23:37,38)the nation of Israel to this day refuses to accept jesus Christ as God's beloved son who came to earth to sacrifice himself on behalf of humanity. Therefore, when the bible speaks of nations going to the "house of the God of jacob", and the "law will go out of Zion, and the word of Jehovah out of Jerusalem.", this can not be taken literally but symbollicly. This prophecy thus states that in the time of the end a one true religion would surface and spread throughout the entire planet promoting true worship. (Micah 4:1-5) This post was edited by Autumnleaves at October 29, 2018 12:48 AM MDT
      October 29, 2018 12:45 AM MDT

Abundant evidence? What evidence? The bible, written by human beings after the supposed facts contained therein, is a piece of literature and proves nothing.
      October 29, 2018 1:29 AM MDT

How very true Stu....are you one of the Wise Men then     :)D 
      October 29, 2018 3:01 AM MDT

Matthew 10:5–6, Jesus said to the twelve apostles as he sent them out during his life, “Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans; but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” And in Matthew 15:24, Jesus said, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” So during his earthly life, Jesus was focused on the Jews. They had priority in his ministry.

These are the very words of Jesus in John 4:22. Jesus says to the Samaritan woman at the well, “You worship what you do not know; we [Jews] worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews."
      October 29, 2018 4:43 AM MDT