Active Now

Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Politics » A new Gallup poll shows that more than 50% of those asked believe President Trump is intelligent, decisive, and able to bring about change.

A new Gallup poll shows that more than 50% of those asked believe President Trump is intelligent, decisive, and able to bring about change.

Do you agree or disagree and why? Responses are welcome from the usual suspects (you know who you are!) and others.

Posted - June 25, 2018

Responses

As a usual suspect....yes of course I agree.
      June 25, 2018 4:48 PM MDT

I would agree that Trump has brought change. The rest I do not agree with.

-Trump exudes what Stephen Hawking warned as “the greatest enemy of knowledge“: the illusion of intelligence. That Trump denies science, to me, speaks volumes. As do his stunted vocabulary and how he copes with dissent. 

-As for decisiveness, I’ve seen our new President seem VERY decisive, up until the moment(s) he reverses course and undermines himself and his staff. 

PS - Would it not be more accurate to say “...those who responded...”? This post was edited by Don Barzini at June 26, 2018 11:50 PM MDT
      June 25, 2018 5:10 PM MDT

Not really, he seems to have trouble remembering whitch alternate reality stories he have told to who.
      June 25, 2018 5:17 PM MDT

I agree that he has average intelligence. He is decisive about certain things, like not giving a fig about the environment or people who he doesn't deem worthy. I agree that he's already brought changes, though I don't agree with the majority of them. 

P. S. - You left out that in the above mentioned poll, more than 50% of those asked find that Trump:

- does not keep his promises
    - does not understand complex issues
    - does not put the country's interests ahead of his own political interests
    - does not care about ordinary peoples' interests
    - cannot manage the government effectively
    - is not honest or trustworthy
    - is not likable
    - is not admirable
    - has not chosen mostly good advisors and cabinet members
    - does not work well in Washington with both parties to get things done

Way to focus on the positive, though. 
      June 25, 2018 5:20 PM MDT

Yep.   https://www.wnd.com/2018/06/smart-or-stupid-what-americans-really-think-of-trump/
      June 25, 2018 6:39 PM MDT

WorldNetDaily is an American news and opinion website and online news aggregator which has been described as "fringe" and far right as well as politically conservative. The website is known for promoting falsehoods and conspiracy theories.
      June 25, 2018 10:04 PM MDT

Gallup states: “The 58 percent of Americans who consider Trump intelligent likely agree with his own self-perception, as evidenced by his terming himself ‘really smart’ and ‘a very stable genius’ in response to concerns about his temperament and intelligence. This ‘intelligent’ dimension has not been asked frequently enough to provide clear historical context, but when asked in a different format, Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush scored higher on a similar question in the early 1990s.”

Fifty-one percent call Trump “a strong and decisive leader,” while 50 percent think he “can bring about the changes this country needs.

But Gallup notes: “He does much less well in terms of likability, his choice of advisers, and his ability to work with both parties in Washington.”

For instance, only 37 percent say Trump is “likable” and “honest and trustworthy.”

Two-thirds at 67 percent do not think Trump “works well with both parties in Washington to get things done.”

Sixty-four percent do not agree with the statement that Trump “is a person they admire” and that he “has chosen mostly good advisers and cabinet officers.”

Gallup states: “Trump’s below-average score on picking good advisers may be related to the unusually high turnover of advisers and cabinet members in the Trump administration, as well as the number of his aides and associates who have been embroiled in controversies and scandals. Trump himself often derides his own cabinet members.”

The poll comes as Trump hits his one-and-a-half-year mark in the White House. It was taken on June 1-13, among 1,520 adults, and has a margin of error is 3 percentage points.

https://www.wnd.com/2018/06/smart-or-stupid-what-americans-really-think-of-trump/
      June 26, 2018 10:53 AM MDT

So basically you are in agreement with my original post ?????
      June 27, 2018 6:37 AM MDT

Dude, the poll is the poll regardless of what news agency/site is reporting on it. 

https://news.gallup.com/poll/235907/americans-evaluate-trump-character-across-dimensions.aspx
      June 27, 2018 7:51 PM MDT

Yes I agree 100%. You have to be intelligent and decisive in order to bring about the change he has been able to achieve.
      June 25, 2018 6:39 PM MDT

If that were a true/false question I would answer yes (true), but I would need an opportunity to explain my answer.  

I know.....I'm not easy.  That's why I need to be in charge.....or only take essay tests. 

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at June 29, 2018 2:08 PM MDT
      June 25, 2018 6:46 PM MDT

I think that says as much about the average intelligence of respondents as it does about Donald
      June 25, 2018 9:56 PM MDT

He has good intelligence for business re -his book 'The Art of the Deal' and knows something about bankruptcies; he has changed the Whitehouse into a state of chaos and he is decisive -that's why the Whitehouse is in a state of chaos.
      June 25, 2018 11:07 PM MDT

White House is two words!
      June 25, 2018 11:52 PM MDT

Who do you think you are, Randy D?

June 27, 2018 7:52 PM MDT

I am he and he is me and we are altogether, ho ho ho, ha ha ha, hee hee hee! This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at June 29, 2018 2:09 PM MDT
      June 27, 2018 9:24 PM MDT

Yes, I think 50% is about right. That is to say 50% is as good a guess as any.
      June 26, 2018 1:01 AM MDT

The poll was taken of members of his immediate family :( This post was edited by O-uknow at June 26, 2018 10:23 AM MDT
      June 26, 2018 1:49 AM MDT

For anyone to think of Trump as intelligent they would have to be severely short on brain cells themselves. The man, who cannot remember from one moment to the next, who tweets like an illiterate twit, who hasn't a clue about diplomacy or how to speak to people, who has so many failed business ventures, and who acts and talks like the village idiot, is clearly very short-changed in the intellect department. 
      June 26, 2018 10:20 AM MDT

I think President Trump is intelligent (other wise he wouldnt be president) and I am not short on brain cells. ;(
      June 26, 2018 10:23 AM MDT

My fondness for you prevents me from getting into this.. I will say though that I have never said you are short on brain cells.  However, I would say that logically, merely being prez does not infer intelligence.. 
      June 26, 2018 10:27 AM MDT

Of course being president does not infer intelligence, but nobody who is able to do what it takes to be elected president is stupid or lacks intelligence. To believe otherwise is extremely naive. Only 44 people (Grover Cleveland was both the 22nd and 24th) have achieved that since 1788.
      June 26, 2018 12:20 PM MDT

How do you know what he can or cannot remember?
      June 27, 2018 1:09 PM MDT

This is evidenced in his own words, he will continually refute and forget what he has said.. contradicting himself.. the examples of that are numerous.. that he says one thing then another would strongly indicate that too.  As to the intelligence level.. I am sorry but in your country, money and influence count for more than intelligence and you guys tell me all the time how corrupt all politicians are and how big business wins the day, how people are hoodwinked and controlled in what they read and see...  I am an open minded soul who believes that there are many measures of intelligence, not all of which are included on traditional IQ scales.. however, if we were to test Trump's IQ do you really think it would be high? Despite his inability to string a sentence together, his inability to read documents or sustain attention, his thinking he knows better than experts re defence, military, etc..  the not taking advice from said experts, his continually making bad choices re staff
     as evidenced by his hiring and firing on an unprecedented basis.. You see it from the way he tweets like a deranged illiterate fool.. these are NOT the signs of intelligent life. Then there's the sheer number 

Perhaps the measure of intelligence is relative? Perhaps to some people he represents an intelligent life form.. but that really doesn't say much about them if so...  however, I do have to remember that perhaps it's relative in that you guys had Raygun, an actor and you also had that twerp Bush who was clearly several loads short of the haystack.. we used to laugh like drains at w idiotically he talked.  So I am willing to accept that to you guys Trump and Bush seem like mega brains? But then again that doesn't really wash as you had Obama who spoke with clear intelligence... so... 
      June 27, 2018 3:08 PM MDT