Active Now

my2cents
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » What were your parents' occupations?

What were your parents' occupations?

Here are mine. Dang, I actually looked like this guy when I was 30. Note to JA...coffee molecule...but there is a mistake.

Posted - July 8, 2018

Responses

My mother was a housewife and my father was a salesman on the road for an equipment company he founded with two other men. 
      July 8, 2018 1:17 PM MDT

Your mom was "Rosie the Riveter?"  I feel like I'm talking to a celebrity!  You must be well-built.  Your dad hung out with Einstein? Well, I think most of us already figured that.
    Funny!  I pictured you like this today, only with grey hair and a fuzzy cat whom you still can't figure out.  If you want to stop your grey, stop surrounding yourself with things that are puzzling to you ;) :)

My parents both did things to help others, too.  My mom was an Intensive Care Unit nurse for 35 years.  After that she worked Hanford. The fight against the nuclear testing they did in Hanford and the repercussions it had on the people exposed to the fallout.  HTDS and HEDR.  Dad and she then moved out of Oregon and she worked for the County in Public Health Services.  She retired last year.

My dad worked at the European Health Spa as a Personal Trainer than moved to administration and became the manager for many years.  Unfortunately, European Health Spas closed down their spas.  He then moved to retail for men's clothing for gosh, I can't remember.  A number of years.  He moved to out-of-store sales at Easterday and is now retired. 

Being retired, they hardly have time to breathe!   Between keeping their property and animals, (which they adopted more of now retired,) and entertaining, they hardly have time to do anything! This post was edited by Merlin at July 11, 2018 6:30 PM MDT
      July 8, 2018 1:27 PM MDT

Mom helped built ships at the Bath Naval Shipyard during WWII. After that she became a baby factory. Then she waited tables for many years. My father was a chemist for about 10 years when he left us. I never saw him again. I was well built from 25-45. Now not so much. And I like my gray hair.
      July 8, 2018 1:41 PM MDT

It sounds like you got the best of both worlds from them.  I know you have a good work ethic and are smart as a tack.  (I don't know where that statement came from but it seemed to fit perfectly :))
    You gave back to the community like your mom and took on the complexity of things and how they work together.  Your mom must have been good with people and your dad must have liked problem-solving. 
    Being well built isn't the point.  Being as balanced as you can between your fat and muscle ratio is more important as we age.  Keeping in cardio and mental shape is always nurturing to the soul. Stretching is a must. As we get older, these things really make a difference. 
    You already knew all that.  It just made me feel important to share with ya (big smiles.)
    I like grey hair too.  Don is all silver and I call him my Silver Fox.  He says I gave him every single one of them.  I don't know about that.
    I'm probably the weirdest character on earth.  I don't mind aging.  I think with age comes wisdom and beauty, inside and out.  
      July 8, 2018 1:59 PM MDT

My dad worked as a hardware clerk until he was 77.  Mom was a housewife.
      July 8, 2018 1:38 PM MDT

• MOTHER:  Movie theater cashier
    FATHER: Inspector (aircraft)
      July 8, 2018 1:41 PM MDT

Both of my parents are retired and have been for some time. My mother is a retired civilian government employee. She had over 33 years. My dad is a retired corrections officer who worked 28 years. 
      July 8, 2018 2:05 PM MDT

Dad: Mechanic...owns his business
    Mother: Factory Worker, Disabled
    Stepmother: Former Factory worker, worked at Fathers business
      July 8, 2018 2:36 PM MDT

my parents had a tailor shop
      July 8, 2018 2:42 PM MDT

mail carrier/ ESL teacher
      July 8, 2018 2:58 PM MDT

My dad was a fighter pilot, then when he got too old and gross he moved on to fixing jet engines and investigating crashes. My mother is a computer programmer. She pumped out a bunch of babies and raised us before putting her college degree to use, so she was a housewife for a while before that.
      July 8, 2018 3:19 PM MDT

Mum was a teacher. Taught other people's kids, then retired to have her own, taught us, then her grandchildren before passing at the age of 69.
    Dad also finished his career as a teacher (high school industrial arts - metal and woodworking, tech drafting and engineering science), but he had a varied career before that - fitter/turner, then retrained as an ambulance paramedic. Retrained as a teacher after an injury carrying a stretcher crippled him.
      July 8, 2018 3:27 PM MDT

My mom was a homemaker and my dad worked construction.
      July 8, 2018 3:50 PM MDT

Dad was a farmer cattle/grain.
    Mother housewiife/amature horticulturalist. 
      July 8, 2018 4:24 PM MDT

DAd architect, Mum Boss's secretary. 
      July 8, 2018 4:30 PM MDT

I don't remember them all, but I'll do my best... Here they are in order:

Mother: Paper mill worker (machine operator of some sort), real estate agent, gas station clerk, fast food manager/ area manager, telemarketer, public schools food service, temp agency worker, medical assistant, corrections officer, TSA agent, travel insurance claims processor, banker, restaurant dishwasher

Father: Paper mill manager of some sort, antique refinisher/ furniture sales, manager of building supply company, home rehabber/ flipper, owner of handyman company This post was edited by Just Asking at July 11, 2018 5:36 PM MDT
      July 8, 2018 4:34 PM MDT

My dad has his own building company and does every trade hinself.......he also plays with anything mechanical that has wheels and floats... 
    I followed in his footsteps until I met who I'm with now......:( 
      July 8, 2018 6:21 PM MDT

My dad was a farmer but now he's mostly retired.  My mom was a housewife until she left my dad.  Now she's a waitress.
      July 9, 2018 1:50 PM MDT

They're retired now, but my mom worked at a hospital for 40+ years and my dad was a custodian.
      July 9, 2018 2:07 PM MDT