Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Now the Trump administration opposes breastfeeding! How in HELL can his supporters condone this?

Now the Trump administration opposes breastfeeding! How in HELL can his supporters condone this?

Decades of research - but the US delegation to the WHO, backed by infant formula manufacturers, opposed the resolution and actually resorted to blackmail in an attempt to get Latin America to follow suit.

Posted - July 9, 2018

Responses

Trump is trying to bully the world..

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.smh.com.au/world-north-america/us-stuns-world-health-community-by-opposing-breastfeeding-20180709-p4zqua.html

Redirect notice omits the www in this link (????) WTF.. 
    You can google 'trump opposes breastfeeding ' This post was edited by Kittigate at July 9, 2018 4:54 PM MDT
      July 9, 2018 2:12 AM MDT

Can you just imagine what a miserable childhood Trump must have had to make him what he is today?
      July 9, 2018 8:46 AM MDT

I'm sure they'll justify it somehow. 

I imagine that bottled water manufacturers have a hand in it, too. In the US, most of us know better than to drink the water straight out of the faucet. 
      July 9, 2018 9:24 AM MDT

I'm fortunate that NYC has some of the best water in the country - and straight out of the tap.
      July 9, 2018 9:54 AM MDT

We get water reports from the city a couple of times a year, claiming it's safe. I'm still skeptical. I don't even give my dog water straight out of the tap. Better safe than sorry. 
      July 9, 2018 9:58 AM MDT

In NYC?  
      July 9, 2018 10:06 AM MDT

No, not NYC. I live in a smallish city in middle America. 
      July 9, 2018 10:11 AM MDT

OK, thanks.
      July 9, 2018 10:20 AM MDT

Can't be worse than Adelaide, Australia. Our tap water can etch glass. Visiting ships don't water here, it's one of only 3 seaports in the world where they don't. 
      July 9, 2018 10:38 PM MDT

Yikes! That doesn't sound good at all. 
      July 12, 2018 6:59 AM MDT

Considering the size of the type of woman Trump likes they must think the only thing Mammary glands are good for is motor boating. Cheers!
      July 9, 2018 9:36 AM MDT

See this is what mystifies us outsiders... firstly we cannot imagine how people fell for the lies of such an arrogant ridiculously illiterate man.. but beyond that it's beyond mystifying how his supporters can condone and cannot see that having a deranged illiterate tweeter running off at the mouth every five minutes is a bad thing for their country.. I mean... if you have someone who thinks nothing lying, do you really think he gives a dingoes kidney about the people? 

But the fact is that his supporters are willing to overlook his lies, his constant failures in the world arena and his cringe-worthy failures at diplomacy, his ill-thought through policies, his blustering, his involvement with Russia even though not so long ago they were America's number 1 enemy, and so on...  They don't seem to make a peep about appointing judges who are anti-abortion, about women not being able to take control of their own bodies, and now breast-feeding... Hardly anything surprises me now :( 
      July 9, 2018 9:38 AM MDT

I would like to see the text before making a decision and nobody seems to be publishing that. The argument is that it supposedly would have made it harder for parents to get access to formula, which would bother me too. I'm pro-breastfeeding, but I don't think parents should have to fight for access to formula either. Sometimes, it's absolutely 100% necessary. 

Does anyone have a link to the actual resolution as it was presented originally? 
      July 9, 2018 1:25 PM MDT

This is the only thing I can find. ....

Just one portion, calling on the World Health Organization to provide support to member states seeking to halt “inappropriate promotion of foods for infants and young children,” was removed.

https://fortune.com/2018/07/08/breastfeeding-resolution-us-opposition/

Sounds like they may have been referring to formula as inappropriate food for babies. While it is certainly not better than breast milk....it is not inappropriate food. 
      July 9, 2018 2:30 PM MDT

Not exactly - the resolution was intended to prevent the promotion of formula as a PREFERABLE alternative, which is precisely how it is being advertised in places like Latin America and Southeast Asia - where literacy is low, access to correct information also low, childbirth rates high and childhood mortality gruesome.
      July 9, 2018 4:57 PM MDT

As JA said no one is posting full context of the resolution. And from one side is saying they were defending access to formula...and the right to chooose. 
    Personally I do not believe the USA gov has switched to anti breastfeeding. When and if I see it I will believe it. 
    I have never seen a formula company even try to claim they are better than breast milk. As an alternative (if Mom is unable or not producting enough or even not getting enough nutrients herself or on meds etc) it is the most preferred...as opposed to cow/goat milk or other possible foods....formula is the best to use if breastmilk not available. 
      July 9, 2018 5:11 PM MDT

You've never seen the way it's aggressively promoted in the Philippines or El Salvador? Fomula companies are indeed making that claim, just not in First World countries where correct information rebutting those claims is readily available.
      July 9, 2018 5:28 PM MDT

No....I live in the USA why would I see ads from El Salvador or Philippines? 
    Got a link?
      July 9, 2018 5:33 PM MDT

Saw those ones in a documentary, not on the web.

How about Vietnam?
    https://www.nbcnews.com/id/32899377/ns/health-childrens_health/t/aggressive-push-baby-formula-vietnam/
      July 9, 2018 5:48 PM MDT

And just where in your link does it say formula is being promoted as better than breast milk? It says agressive advertising but nothing claiming they say it is better....so if I missed it, feel free to paste it. 
      July 9, 2018 7:17 PM MDT

July 9, 2018 8:25 PM MDT

What M2C said. I want to see the actual words used, not just someone's take on it. I can't stand the Trump administration, but I'm not going to call this a smoking gun until I see what the actual document says.
      July 9, 2018 5:27 PM MDT

Thanks. I saw that quote too. Still hoping to find the full text.
      July 9, 2018 5:24 PM MDT

not sure how, didnt know he was doing that
      July 9, 2018 3:56 PM MDT