Active Now

Danilo_G
Randy D
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » How did Adam and Eve get enough protein to survive? Did they just nosh on little critters as they scampered by?

How did Adam and Eve get enough protein to survive? Did they just nosh on little critters as they scampered by?

Legit question because most vegans have to really work hard to get their protein and often make smoothies with protein powder. Adam and Eve didn't have protein powder, I'm guessing. I wasn't there, but I assume. Anyway, from what I can tell, they had some variety of spinach (a high-protein veggie), which could have given them 1-3g per cup, but women need 46g and men need 56g per day, meaning a woman would have to eat a minimum of 15 cups per day or raw spinach, just to get protein. Yuck. 

Posted - July 9, 2018

Responses

Not sure if this is supposed to be a joke but would mention there is sufficient protein in all kinds of vegetables and grains.  As well as legumes of course. All those figures you mention are arrived at by analyzing the chemical make-up of our bodies.  Which do not take into consideration that our bodies change the chemical make-up of the food we take.  Thus you have civilizations being very healthy just eating a few things.  Anyway you take in too much protein and all you end up doing is your body craves more carbohydrates which unfortunately you tend to get from sugar or junk food all of which are bad for you. 
      July 9, 2018 12:06 PM MDT

Like I said in my notes, even the most abundant non-animal protein sources would require enormous amounts of veggies. We're talking a gallon or more of spinach, and that's only IF it was the kind with the highest protein content. Realistically, we're talking three or so gallons of very specific types of produce just to get enough protein alone. But, the body needs other things too, so it would be highly unlikely that someone who didn't know anything about dietary needs would actually ingest enough of specific foods to be healthy. Not surprisingly, starvation was a real cause for concern for our ancestors. 

The reality is our bodies are designed to handle meat. Early civilizations might not have eaten cows, but they surely ate bugs, birds, lizards, and the like, much like our primate cousins. 
      July 9, 2018 1:07 PM MDT

Well you are free to subscribe to and I guess teach whatever "reality" you choose to.  But I will stick with mine. 
      July 10, 2018 8:39 AM MDT

After they ate the magic apple a different kind of evolution began: over a long period of time those cell mutations that took place in that first bite, changed everything. You might say the worms in the apple ate their way through everything.  Our bodies, which were meant to live a long time, needed different things to survive.  
      July 9, 2018 12:07 PM MDT

Clearly, you don’t understand evolution. This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 13, 2022 9:00 PM MST
      July 9, 2018 5:43 PM MDT

Protein doesn't have to come from animals or animal products.  Protein can come from legumes, nuts, and from fruits like avocados, guavas and such.  God provided everything they needed to survive in the garden.  
      July 9, 2018 12:12 PM MDT

My notes in the opening address this. It's virtually impossible for someone to ingest enough high-protein produce to be healthy. That's why modern humans who do it use supplements and powders. Add to the fact that they wouldn't have known what their bodies needed in the first place, it's incredibly unlikely Adam and Eve sat down and munched on 3-9 gallons of spinach a day. Avocados are roughly the same. Adam would have had to consume 14 every day or 40 guavas. And, that's in addition to all the other things they needed. 
      July 9, 2018 1:14 PM MDT

According to scripture, Adam and Eve were designed to live a vegan lifestyle.  Therefore, the plant food supply that God provided for them was ample enough to accommodate their dietary needs.
    Perhaps while they were in the garden they didn't require as much protein as it wasn't until after they were banished that they started killing animals for food.  Once banished from the garden they were forced into an agrarian lifestyle.  Food was no longer available at their fingertips as it'd been in the garden.  The ground was now cursed and they had to work very hard to obtain it (Genesis 3:17-19).   
      July 9, 2018 1:58 PM MDT

I just looked up the scripture you quoted and it doesn't say anything about that. Are there actual passages that talk about them being vegans and somehow having a body change after? 
      July 9, 2018 5:48 PM MDT

I know of no scripture about a body change.  As for being vegan - Genesis 1:29-30.  (of course I'm doubt God called it 'veganism').   I'm not saying that what I say is what really happened as I wasn't there.   I can only going on what God said in the bible. 
      July 9, 2018 9:29 PM MDT

“I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.”

By that token, all animals we know are carnivores would also be vegan, but it also doesn't say the plants are the only food. 
      July 10, 2018 11:22 AM MDT

It is indeed quite hard to balance veggie and vegan diets...  I know this because I tried being veggie for a while and was really quite unwell... SO here's the thing... all this God stuff...assuming there is such a thing... we know *he* created nature and all the plants, legumes etc... yea but he didn't create them to all flower/fruit all the time... so this garden would have had to have been massive but at the same time realistic, no good going a thousand miles to harvest a legume to help balance the deficiency... but it would be hard to have everything within reasonable reach, simply because of the way things grow...  And then we also know that God, (supposedly) made animals for man to eat... so... I can't see why they wouldnt have had a nosh or two on some little critters
      July 9, 2018 1:28 PM MDT

That's something I didn't even consider- the amount of space all that produce would take to grow. O_o 

But also, I'm betting they didn't cook them, so that adds a whole other dimension of WTF. lol 

I'm an atheist, but one of my agnostic friends who is amid a diet shift asked me this question this morning, and I surely could not answer it. It came from a legit place of curiosity, but I couldn't get the vision of a naked Eve grabbing a chipmunk as it scampered by and chowing down. I was a little disturbed. If we're going with the Adam and Eve story, there's no way they weren't eating raw meat or they never would have survived long enough to reproduce. 
      July 9, 2018 1:41 PM MDT

not sure if any of us can ever know that since we werent there
      July 9, 2018 2:52 PM MDT

Asker's pick. Simpler answers are best.
      July 9, 2018 5:58 PM MDT

Apparently in those times diet was such that people routinely lived for 900 years. Think of the demand for food inherent in that. Who harvested it? Did a banquet simply appear each day? Where were the latrines? The bare logistics alone kill the story. 

As an aside, ask yourself: what did all the carnivores eat after everyone got off the Ark? This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 13, 2022 9:02 PM MST
      July 9, 2018 3:19 PM MDT

And now we know what happened to unicorns. They were on the ark. They just got eaten. 
      July 9, 2018 5:45 PM MDT

I believe that may be true.

July 10, 2018 11:49 AM MDT

Try to remember there was a tree of life in those days. That's why people lived hundreds of years. 

As for the protein question, well, we only know nutrition as it works now, and we don't know much even at that. 

Try to remember that our God is very good at this God business.
      July 9, 2018 4:20 PM MDT

A good and practical question, JA. I shall add to it. How would they even know what to eat? How would they know what was good or bad for them?
      July 9, 2018 6:00 PM MDT

Hello Elemant. That's kind of a good question to ponder if there was no God to tell them. With no god you then gotta figure out how each stage of evolution knew what to eat? What was good or bad for them? (Assuming their diet changed as evolution progressed.) 

Considering the Jewish scriptures helps to see how they would know.
     The creation account from Genesis 1:1–2:4 describes the creation of the heavens and the earth and everything in them.
    Genesis 2:5–4:26 concentrates on the creation of the human race and its fall into sin.
    The first account is constructed chronologically, divided into six consecutive “days.” The second is written in order of topical importance. After a short prologue, it logically goes straight to the creation of Adam, since he and his family are the subject of what follows. (Genesis 2:7)

(Genesis 1:11, 12) Then God said: “Let the earth cause grass to sprout, seed-bearing plants and fruit trees according to their kinds, yielding fruit along with seed on the earth.” And it was so. 12 And the earth began to produce grass, seed-bearing plants and trees yielding fruit along with seed, according to their kinds. Then God saw that it was good.
    (Genesis 1:29) Then God said: “Here I have given to you every seed-bearing plant that is on the entire earth and every tree with seed-bearing fruit. Let them serve as food for you.
    (Genesis 2:8, 9) Further, Jehovah God planted a garden in Eʹden, toward the east; and there he put the man whom he had formed. 9 Thus Jehovah God made to grow out of the ground every tree that was pleasing to look at and good for food and also the tree of life in the middle of the garden and the tree of the knowledge of good and bad.
      July 9, 2018 8:11 PM MDT

Here we see the reason for most or all of the confusion about the bible. The bible says "In the beginning god created the heaven and the earth." People say no, creation dragged on for six days, and there was something before that. 

Psalm 12:6 The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace. [Words] of earth, purified seven times.

We have an ellipsis here: a word is used twice but omitted once. The addition of "words" is because "of earth" is plural, agreeing with plural earth and not singular furnace. This verse says God speaks to us in our own languages; we don't have to look for murky interpretations or read stuff in. Genesis 1:1 defines the word 'beginning' and defines God as the creator, in addition to nailing down the timing. 

Isaiah 45:18 For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord; and there is none else.

The Earth was not created vain, it became that way, and God spent six days setting it up again. ("Void" in Genesis is the same Hebrew word translated "in vain" in Isaiah.)

Stop preaching your own made up bible. Learn the one God gave us. Here is a book to help you to understand the bible. It's a free download and you can get a hard copy at any bible book store.
    https://www.philologos.org/__eb-htetb/ "How To Enjoy The Bible"
      July 10, 2018 7:37 PM MDT

I don't agree with the 2 earth theory....
    2 earth ages or periods yes and the 3rd is still to come.
    ...I agree with the earth was not created void and without form...it became that way. And the earth was recreated (remodeled) and replenished in Gen 1. This post was edited by my2cents at July 10, 2018 8:11 PM MDT
      July 10, 2018 8:07 PM MDT

Has God given up on us by failing to inform us what foods cause cancer or other health hazards in modern time?
      July 17, 2018 5:04 AM MDT