Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » How did Adam and Eve get enough protein to survive? Did they just nosh on little critters as they scampered by?

How did Adam and Eve get enough protein to survive? Did they just nosh on little critters as they scampered by?

Legit question because most vegans have to really work hard to get their protein and often make smoothies with protein powder. Adam and Eve didn't have protein powder, I'm guessing. I wasn't there, but I assume. Anyway, from what I can tell, they had some variety of spinach (a high-protein veggie), which could have given them 1-3g per cup, but women need 46g and men need 56g per day, meaning a woman would have to eat a minimum of 15 cups per day or raw spinach, just to get protein. Yuck. 

Posted - July 9, 2018

Responses

You tell me. Does your Church teach that God has given up on us? Are you Catholic again? Are you not a Catholic again? Sorry, can't keep up with which way the wind blows you in that regard.
      July 17, 2018 5:49 AM MDT

I'm asking you. It doesn't matter if I'm a Catholic, a stamp collector, an electrician, or short and fat. You obviously don't have an answer. Sorry to hear you lost the point on your compass to give you a direction on which way the wind is blowing. Adding that to your failure to give me an answer in relationship to your Jehovah, makes you pointless.
      July 17, 2018 4:28 PM MDT

I think we have had enough conversation for us both to know that you have no sincere questions for me. Read the Bible, it tells you about a rebellion and why people suffer and die. You don't follow anything else in the Bible, why would you follow any dietary restriction within it?
      July 17, 2018 7:05 PM MDT

Scientists have found more evidence in nutrition and protein in meat and produce, in modern times, than your holy books bound together will ever explain. Someone failed and you're included with nothing more than little digs and energized pointy attacks. 

July 19, 2018 4:35 AM MDT

Why did you post here? Same reason you have posted on my other post over the years, yes? Little digs and energized pointy attacks, yes?

If you would read the Bible, you might realize the purpose of the Bible but we both know that want happen even though your Church will no longer burn you at the stake for reading the Bible.
      July 19, 2018 9:45 AM MDT

Why did I post here?
    Didn't know I wasn't allowed to.
    Please sir, may I post here?

Same reason I have posted on your other post over the years, yes?
    No, just looking for knowledge they did not teach up in college, sir,

Little digs and energized pointy attacks, yes?
    No sir, just bring up points on your erroneous doctrine which you can not defend or accept.

Well, I answered your questions and hope I have comforted your curiosity.  

"If you would read the Bible, ... your Church will no longer burn you at the stake for reading the Bible."
    So, tell me more about my, "Little digs and energized pointy attacks, yes?"

If I didn't read the bible, I would know nothing about your misguided interpretation of the original bible in your New World Translation.

Thanks for caring.

This post was edited by antibiotic at July 20, 2018 4:56 AM MDT
      July 20, 2018 4:54 AM MDT

Of course you are allowed to post here, you really don't get that I was responding to your assertion that I am the one with "little digs and energized pointy attacks" when it is you always responding to my post with those?

Quote: "Scientists have found more evidence in nutrition and protein in meat and produce, in modern times, than your holy books bound together will ever explain."
    You obviously have not read the Bible or have any understanding there of if you think it was meant to be a scientific text book. It doesn't tell you which mushrooms you can eat or how much nutrition is in the types of mushrooms you can eat. Enough reason for you to throw out the Bible, huh? What came first, the modern scientific text books about nutrition or man? If there is no God and man needed modern scientist to write books about nutrition and protein to exist, how did we get here? 
      July 20, 2018 5:25 AM MDT

"... how did we get here?"

Do you mean, how did we get here, to modern time to understand which mushrooms you can eat or how much nutrition is in the types of mushrooms you can eat?
    Through science.

Or, do you mean, how did we get here, in existence through time, to find which mushrooms you can eat or how much nutrition is in the types of mushrooms you can eat?? 
    Through an intelligent design.

This post was edited by antibiotic at July 21, 2018 2:15 PM MDT
      July 21, 2018 2:12 PM MDT

It seems that even today there is plenty of protein without meat.(From a quick google search.) Supposedly, 1 cup of soybeans has 68g of protein.

https://www.google.com/search?q=soya&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&oq=soya+&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6838j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&ei=wxBEW5f6F5CosgXT3bK4Cw&q=how+much+protein+cup+nuts&oq=how+much+protein+cup+nuts&gs_l=psy-ab.3...2888.3489.0.3770.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.LRAoqqTpHqo

https://www.google.com/search?q=protein+without+eating+meat&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&oq=protein+without+eating+meat&aqs=chrome..69i57.8880j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

July 9, 2018 8:01 PM MDT

I'm familiar with Google. It's the handy tool that taught me soy is inedible if raw (it causes severe digestion-related issues) and that eating even 1/4 cup of it per day can reduce a man's testosterone levels by 19% in a matter of weeks. So, 'ol Adam was not eating soy. He'd be too busy with his explosive diarrhea and ED to be off making babies or enjoying life. Try again.   
      July 9, 2018 8:48 PM MDT

Try again? Nice.
    That was just one example. For all I know there may be now, or may have been 6,000 years ago, other fruits or vegetables that have as much protein that don't need to be cooked. (Not 100% positive that they didn't cook anything as I never read anything on that and the Bible doesn't say they cooked back then.) I am sure you are familiar with google but that wasn't my point in mentioning google. I am not a nutritionist nor an expert on protein without meat as I eat meat, so I did a quick google search or three and found several fruits and veggies with protein. Adam and Eve did not just eat one fruit or just one vegetable. There apparently are 38 grams of protein in peanuts. (Please don't think I am saying that they only ate peanuts. I also don't know for sure that there were peanuts back then but other plants were likely there that we don't have today.)

EDIT: 
    I found this interesting in regards to chimps and gorillas, if true:
    https://gorillaprotein.com/category/chimpanzees/
    Chimpanzees eat meat for two simple reasons: they can catch it and they like it. Chimpanzees are particularly likely to eat meat during the dry season, when shortages of the foods that normally make up the bulk of theirdiet cause them to lose weight. Although the meat may be a useful source of calories during the dry season, wild chimpanzees don’t need to include meat or any other animal-based food in their diet to fulfill their needs for protein or any of the amino acids. In fact, plants provide all of the nutrients that are known to be essential for a chimpanzee, except for vitamin D (which they get from the abundant sunshine in Africa) and vitamin B12 (which comes from bacteria). This post was edited by texasescimo at July 10, 2018 11:50 AM MDT
      July 10, 2018 6:34 AM MDT

The reason why I asked this was because a friend of mine who was raised as a christian has just been told to take on a vegan diet by a nutritionist, and the friend actually asked me this. It's a legit question the person had while mulling over the ramifications of being vegan. In their mind, it was likely a question of what Adam and Eve ate because they pondered whether they could adapt the same diet and be well. 

As you may know, I'm not religious. I couldn't come up with any kind of logical answer for my friend, so I figured I'd turn the question 'round to you folks to see if there was more info out there that neither I nor my friend knew. 

Raw peanuts are toxic. But, sure, I suppose there's nothing that says they didn't cook their food, but that would be difficult because they'd spend the vast majority of their time foraging- somewhere between 60-80% of it just looking for food. 

I think what the article is leaving out are the smaller critters chimps eat all the time. Even when they're not actively hunting, they still munch on bugs, eggs, and other "non-meat" animal products. 

July 10, 2018 11:43 AM MDT

They got their gains from eating snakes. Snake steaks.  
      July 9, 2018 8:06 PM MDT

I think that Adam and Eve were in the Garden of Eden.

Before we killed things and butchered them, we ate fruits and veggies and that is how, MR. SCIENTIST, protein is formed.

That is why the biggest, strongest animals are eaters of vegetables.  Gorillas and Elephants for example are much stronger than their meat-eating brothers who sleep their lives away after a meal of PROTEIN.

Dat ain't da way protein is made in da body.

Not da best way.

July 9, 2018 8:15 PM MDT

That didn't answer the question. 
      July 9, 2018 8:50 PM MDT

Maybe they ate lots of beans. The Garden of Eden must have been quite a smelly place..
      July 9, 2018 10:04 PM MDT

As long as they were not eating meat, they won't smell.  They will smell fruity and hopefully, they don't eat too much broccoli.   P.U.  Then all bets are off.

The devil's tree.   That green broccoli

Broccoli.

It smells like old pee.

Broccoli.

Broccoli when it's cooking smell like hot afflatus

Do not serve with mashed potaetas.

July 9, 2018 11:33 PM MDT

Silly. lol
      July 10, 2018 6:35 AM MDT

If Israel got manna, why not Adam and Eve? (not that it says in the Bible). 
      July 10, 2018 8:35 AM MDT

Because it doesn't grow, it's made... just a guess.
      July 10, 2018 11:06 AM MDT

There were numerous trees which they were allowed to eat. And only one they were forbidden to eat of.....and after they ate there was another tree which they were then forbidden to eat of.  The Tree of Life.   I figure if the fruit of the Tree of Life was able to cause one to live forever...if certainly could also provide whatever nutrients they needed to survive.
      July 10, 2018 11:20 AM MDT

They were not forbidden to eat from the tree of life. God posted an angel to keep them away, that's all. If they had eaten from that tree, the devil could have kept them in their unsaved state FOREVER!
      July 11, 2018 9:08 AM MDT

I consider placing a guard to prevent eating from it as being forbidden. But yes that is why the guard was placed there.
      July 11, 2018 10:49 AM MDT

To be quite honest ,I don't think any imaginary people can consume any type of foods ...
    Its also  highly unlikely that the very first Homo Sapiens had a language or could evern talk or comunicate with each other....:( 
      July 17, 2018 7:56 PM MDT