Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Is the dominant religion of the United States really positive thinking instead of Christianity?

Is the dominant religion of the United States really positive thinking instead of Christianity?

People really don't get that upset if you tell them you don't believe in God.  It's pretty much OK to say whatever you want about Christianity but you can expect some hate if you say you don't believe in positive thinking!

The last time I went to church the sermon was all positive thinking with some random bible verses thrown in there.

Posted - July 12, 2018

Responses

I dont know. I think they might go hand in hand.
      July 12, 2018 6:26 AM MDT

Don't know about that and in fact I would say there is markedly less positive thinking today  than when I was young.  Which is one reason we have so many people using drugs, tending to depression inactivity, laziness, and suicide. Interestingly positive thinking came out of Christianity.  You may have heard of Norman Vincent Peale who was a minister and radio and TV personality and wrote The Power Of Positive Thinking many years ago.  It was Biblically-based but sort of a liberal secularization of Christianity.  I do think the lack of religious, specifically Christian, belief is one of the things responsible for the ills of society. People no longer have faith and so do not have hope for themselves either.  And the faith they or their ancestors once put in God they instead put on themselves or other individuals or secular movements or the government.  Because they just don't feel hopeful enough to even act but they want others to do it for them.  Too bad.  The basic hope that Christianity teaches is faith in God and that God loves us and through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ we can hope for our salvation and eternal fellowship with God.  Which is pretty powerful stuff. Assurance of that makes us more positive in our daily doings whatever the downers we encounter. 
      July 12, 2018 6:34 AM MDT

Nope.

First ... "positive thinking" is not a religion.

Second ... There are very few people in America (or any other country) that think "positive thoughts" on a regular basis.  The vast majority of people are realists - neither optimists (positive) nor pessimists (negative).
      July 12, 2018 8:49 AM MDT

I agree.  It's a philosophy, not a religion.  The people who I know IRL who are self-described positive thinkers treat it as a religion.
      July 12, 2018 2:11 PM MDT

If the dominant religion in the US is positive thinking, then why are things there so bad?    Depression, suicides, addictions, alcoholism, and such are skyrocketing in the US.  Are they the result of positive thinking? 

I have never seen anyone hate someone for positive thinking.  I’ve seen them hated for their actions and/or speech, but not because of their thinking.  I understand why people “hate” Christianity.   Look at how many bad things have been done supposedly in its name.  Some people also perceive it as a religion of hypocrites.  But how can one “hate” positive thinking?  Surely they can’t read someone else’s mind?  And if positive thinking truly produces positive results, then that’s a good thing.  People can’t hate things that are good... can they?

True Christianity is not just positive thinking and a few scriptures – no matter what many may preach.  True Christianity is understanding that all the positive thoughts in the world aren’t enough to make you right with God.  Only Jesus can do that.  And He’s already done it for you.  THAT’S the most positive thought in the entire universe.

July 12, 2018 8:59 AM MDT

How can one "hate" positive thinking?  I'll try to answer that as best as I can.  My mother-in-law used to be a self-described positive thinker and she was the most extreme example of positive thinking.  She finally gave it up but she was way more annoying about positive thinking than Christians could ever hope to be when they proselytize.

The "hatred" of positive thinking comes from the positive thinker telling someone the reason something bad happened to them was because they secretly wanted it to happen to them so somehow they attracted the disaster with their thoughts.  I just find that offensive but I understand that might not be what you personally think is positive thinking.

While she was on her positive thinking binge she absolutely didn't want to hear anybody talk about something bad that happened to them because I guess she thought it was somehow going to contaminate her and ruin her happy bubble.

Her method of dealing with bad things that happened to her was total denial.  She gave it up but last month I went to a family reunion and there were a few of my cousins who were spouting of the exact same stuff about positive thinking.

July 12, 2018 2:32 PM MDT

If it isn’t, then it should be.

Can we assess how much more positive the world could be if we freed our species from the compulsion to form worldviews based on primitive fictions and imaginary characters.
    Ergo:

The Christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad.   —  Friederich Nietzche This post was edited by Don Barzini at July 12, 2018 2:32 PM MDT
      July 12, 2018 9:30 AM MDT

That quotes a bit of an over simplification. Only thing that scapegoating quote is good for is to make those opposed to Christians feel superior.

"Horrendous crimes against humanity because Christians think they will happen." Yeah, makes sense.
      July 13, 2018 8:17 AM MDT

The quote obviously served more than just that, Texas, it rattled your cage to attempt to discredit it. Your opinion is a gross mischaracterization of the meaning of Nietzsche’s quote; you clearly don’t get it. But then, who does that surprise? 

I’d be amiss not to mention, coming from JW, whose version of Christian beliefs essentially condemn everything “of this earth”, your comment is particularly ironic. This post was edited by Don Barzini at July 13, 2018 4:16 PM MDT
      July 13, 2018 3:45 PM MDT

That's your very biased and bigoted opinion. You condemn everyone that doesn't believe like you believe.
      July 16, 2018 7:43 PM MDT

This is a really good question, one that makes us think... and it's deep and not superficial.. but... I don't have an answer :P  I take a great interest in all things American, but on this one, I don't know - I've not personally heard much said about positive thinking in relation to America. I do know that a LOT of Americans are very strongly Christian though. 
      July 12, 2018 11:10 AM MDT

In the 19th century Americans started moving west and three institutions went with them. There was vaudeville, traveling entertainment. There was lyceum, traveling education and culture. And there was the itinerant preacher, offering a new style of preaching called "hell fire and brim stone". It was very entertaining, only loosely based on scripture, and pastors didn't even try to compete. Instead they switched to preaching public morality and philosophy.

Eventually an entire generation grew up not knowing the first thing about the religion they claimed to believe. That is why most Christian churches don't teach doctrines, and most members don't know what they are supposed to believe.
      July 12, 2018 2:08 PM MDT

I can't speak for the whole country but being overly positive and denying that bad things happen, as you said of your mother, is unrealistic to the point of not facing reality.   Being optimistic is important in preventing people from abandoning their dreams and ceasing to strive but some take it to the ridiculous point of saying that you can think things into existence.  The Roman stoic philosopher, Seneca, said, "You make your own luck."  That sounds like the delusional boast of someone who had everything handed to them or were otherwise extremely lucky.  Donald Trump once made that statement.  Next time I meet someone who says that I am going to take them to Las Vegas and offer them 20% of my winnings if they will make their own luck while deciding what numbers I should bet on at the roulette table.  It's hogwash.
      July 12, 2018 8:37 PM MDT

Philippians 4:8  "Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things."

Proverbs 17:22  "A joyful heart is good medicine, But a broken spirit dries up the bones."

Those are but two of many Bible verses that speak of thinking positive thoughts but positive thinking isn't a religion like some would like you to believe. Unfortunately and sadly, there are some folks that make millions off of weak and greedy people by making it a religion, A religion that bypasses God altogether and replaces it with a god of money and meism. :)
      July 16, 2018 3:35 PM MDT

I promise you that it is definitely NOT your version of Christianity.   Let's make that perfectly clear right now.

Because ?

Religion is a private matter and while all people need to unite in loving the God of their choice, it is still a God of THEIR PERSONAL UNDERSTANDING with religion merely a guideline.

That's all. A GUIDE.    And only a CHRISTIAN would think of the term "positive"  as anti- JESUS and a dirty word.    Being positive is being hopeful and trusting that good will come.  That's all.  Being negative is distrusting and hating your brother because he is DIFFERENT and NOT A CHRISTIAN.

Just like they were afraid of the term NEW AGE and made a big deal of misunderstanding that word, now we have to say we are CHRISTIAN?  I am NO Christian and I am VERY POSITIVE of that.

Jesus would puke if He saw what is being done in his name by CHRISTIANS.

They are the biggest embarrassment this country has vomited out so far.

Loving Jesus has zero to do with being a puppet in some CHURCH that needs lots of money in the name of JESUS.  Jesus would NEVER call a Muslim an enemy.  NEVER.  Only a judgmental Christian or a TERRORIST MUSLIM would behave like that.  And that has nothing to do with JESUS CHRIST.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 16, 2018 9:44 PM MDT
      July 16, 2018 9:39 PM MDT

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

That is the definition of Christianity and it has no connection to "religion". The book of Romans explains repeatedly that what you do counts for nothing, except a better life here and now. In other verses it is pretty clear that God has a dim view of "religion".

As for dominant religion, a change of religion is one symptom of a collapsing culture. The dominant religion now is ANYTHING as long as it's not Romans 10:9 & 10.
      July 16, 2018 10:17 PM MDT

I like it.
      July 16, 2018 10:18 PM MDT

??? You like something? I'm flabbergasted!!!
      July 17, 2018 10:11 AM MDT

Most have become very disillusioned with religion, especially Christendom. Christendom has set a deplorable example of what true Christianity is. (John 13:35)
      September 5, 2018 11:35 PM MDT