Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Does the overriding sense of entitlement, lack of work ethic, and fixation with all things media give you cause for concern for Millennials?

Does the overriding sense of entitlement, lack of work ethic, and fixation with all things media give you cause for concern for Millennials?

Is the future bright? 

Posted - July 15, 2018

Responses

I have no concern for them. They are on their own. Those in that group who do not have those shortcomings you list will be the successful ones, just as all generations prior. You forgot one...fixation on material goods.
      July 15, 2018 7:10 AM MDT

As long as they pass diaper changing and bed pan maintenance they should get an "A". You will need those skills.
      July 15, 2018 7:26 AM MDT

It’s what lies in between those stages that is a concern, at least to me. 
      July 15, 2018 9:49 AM MDT

The millinials I know are not like that. There are lazy people in every generation. 
      July 15, 2018 7:29 AM MDT

Indeed there are, it just seems they have a more robust presence than before.

Watch out for Randy swooping down on your spelling... ;-) This post was edited by Don Barzini at July 15, 2018 12:06 PM MDT
      July 15, 2018 9:48 AM MDT

So, the millenials be all like, and then she goes, and I'm all, so he's like, and so i was like at starbie's taken pix of my fūd like right when my 'rentals txt'd me n like i dint txt bk rt 'way coz i feel like they shud b $ing my rent u no then helluva sudan my like best friend in da ho wiworld like actually walked in at that min i literally dyed laffin coz they had beets hdfonz on its so 90's
    im a englitch majer btw

[Tilde omitted intentionally.]
      July 15, 2018 7:44 AM MDT

Yes, the deconstruction of the language and the lack of vocabulary are troublesome as well. 
      July 15, 2018 9:46 AM MDT

Ikr?
    ~
      July 15, 2018 12:05 PM MDT

I know it must drive you up a wall, grammar aficionado that you are... 
      July 15, 2018 12:12 PM MDT

I like, hate to, like, tell you this, Randy. But it was, like, totally my generation who, like, started the whole, like, LIKE, thing. 
      July 15, 2018 5:11 PM MDT

I feel obliged to point out that your post above contain a number of syntax and spelling errors.
      July 17, 2018 1:51 PM MDT

That entitlement stuff is not entirely their fault because most of them were probably taught by liberal educators who really believe that somehow just being born should entitle everyone to government sustenance.  So many of them have just bought in to that is the way it should be.  So they rather look to the government as the source of all things and do not seem to realize that a government depends on a lot of other things.  Some of them are smart and conscientious workers but they do seem to share a kind of sense of ease. But I'm sure many of them have already learned that things are not exactly as they have been led to believe.  Their ease with technology I think is great  and I depend on one particular individual at work to help me with my computer problems both there and at home. 
      July 15, 2018 8:17 AM MDT

So no responsibility rests with parents to mentor their kids, just leave it to (blame it on) educators? 
      July 15, 2018 9:45 AM MDT

The age ranger for millenials is vague  (Things get even more complicated for millennials—a group the olds have tried to define (and shun) seemingly for years: Nielsen Media Research pegs the group to the years 1977-1995, PricewaterhouseCoopers defined it as 1980-1995, Time magazine used 1980-2000, and the reality show Survivor set it as 1984-1997.)

But I've always believed that it was ultimately my responsibility and privilege as a father to raise my boys to be fully functioning adults and I am quite pleased at the results (as are they).

I maintained as well that I could undo or counter any "crap" they happened to learn from some teachers and some peers.  

So I agree with what you point out here:  While some few people are born "broken" (perhaps 3%), the other 97% get their ethics and values from their parents---a realization that occasionally causes me to shudder.  
      July 17, 2018 3:12 PM MDT

I don't actually know a millennial. I only know people poking fun at millennials.

ETA: I guess it's like Pollock jokes: you don't have to actually know one to make up jokes.

ETA: I checked the spelling in a dictionary. People of Polish descent are Pollocks. Pollack is the name of a painter.

ETA: No tildites were harmed while making this post. This post was edited by Not Sure at July 15, 2018 12:06 PM MDT
      July 15, 2018 11:05 AM MDT

I see no reason to consider 'millennials' different from any other generation in human history. They start out ignorant, then they learn a bit, and then they live their life.
      July 15, 2018 2:19 PM MDT

Guess who wrote this:
    "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
    authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
    of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
    households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
    contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
    at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

ATTRIBUTION: Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato
      July 15, 2018 2:49 PM MDT

Rising when elders enter the room and gobbling up dainties puts this screed even way before my time. 
      July 15, 2018 3:57 PM MDT

Yes, it is from several centuries BC. You can select the post to see the attribution. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at July 17, 2018 4:28 PM MDT
      July 17, 2018 1:37 PM MDT

not sure
      July 15, 2018 4:43 PM MDT

I've thought about this a lot, as the mother of 2 millennials. I don't find your characterization to be true of my children, nor many of their friends, with the exception of the social media fixation. That does seem to be an epidemic, but I think that crosses generational lines. From what I see from my contemporaries, it appears to have afflicted many of them, too. I've had conversations with life-long friends about it, wondering why they're not living life without thinking of posting about it! Seems madness to me that they care what anyone else thinks of what they're doing. 

I honestly worry more about whatever this next generation is being called. Those who will never know a world without smart phones and social media. At least the millennials had a childhood without instagram, FB, snapchat, etc. 

July 15, 2018 4:57 PM MDT

Thanks for your post. Good to know there is still hope. I see the social media fixation as a double edged sword, SA. On-line gaming, on-line movies, on-line dating, on-line shopping, et al., while not bad things on the whole, have replaced physical activity and natural social contact to a degree that leaves me wondering. 

I was recently in a discussion with a proud Millennial who boldly asked what use is there in studying hard and learning in school when you can always “Google it“. This alarming POV was the source of my question. This post was edited by Don Barzini at July 16, 2018 9:30 AM MDT
      July 15, 2018 5:54 PM MDT

You're right. I think it's like most things, best in moderation. 

I know that I can't blame it all on Google, but I feel that's part of why I don't retain things that I learn now like I used to. It seems that knowing that I can always Google it has made my brain lazy. Of course, getting older doesn't help with that either. :/
      July 16, 2018 6:05 PM MDT

July 15, 2018 5:14 PM MDT