Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Does the overriding sense of entitlement, lack of work ethic, and fixation with all things media give you cause for concern for Millennials?

Does the overriding sense of entitlement, lack of work ethic, and fixation with all things media give you cause for concern for Millennials?

Is the future bright? 

Posted - July 15, 2018

Responses

In a way, this is an example of my point, Zack. 
      July 15, 2018 6:18 PM MDT

I'm not concerned about it.  It's fake news.  Millennial is just something that marketers made up to describe an age group and now people in the news media spend their time making up stories about people in that age group.

This post was edited by Livvie at July 15, 2018 5:39 PM MDT
      July 15, 2018 5:29 PM MDT

Thanks for your response, Livvie. While your point may carry some weight of truth, my question doesn’t arise from any source I found in the news media. 

I used the term Millennial as a common reference to the emerging generation who’ve never known a world without internet, and all of its collateral blessings. Certainly the qualities I mention aren’t unique to them, but are perhaps less likely to go unrecognized now that everyone is “on”, 24/7.   
    Hence the purpose of my question. This post was edited by Don Barzini at July 17, 2018 3:40 PM MDT
      July 15, 2018 6:13 PM MDT

I think that's an unfair sweeping generalization about my group. I'm sure that that each group has appeared as such, having comforts slightly (or vastly) better than those prior. Some of us lack work ethic while others don't, but I feel that technology (that we've grown up around) has opened new doors career-wise in which it isn't necessary to have a typical 9 to 5 to make a decent amount of money. So no, I don't feel that there is a need for concern because I'm sure those feelings are typical of every generation about the subsequent. It makes me wonder what the generation before yours said about you.

Anyway, I will admit that I do miss face to face interaction. I'm a millennial who does not care for her phone unless if it's to set up a time to hang out, peruse articles, or read. I'm not glued to social media (anymore) because I realized that it swallows a lot of time (and I could be doing something else). So I prefer a personal appearance rather than Skype but if people are in different areas of the world, it allows contact.

*shrugs* There are blessings and curses accompanied with advancing technology.

Edit:

Bahahaha. I haven't logged in in so long that I forgot my profile pic! ....I'll just leave it up there. This post was edited by Araya at July 16, 2018 6:12 PM MDT
      July 15, 2018 8:08 PM MDT

Holy cow!!! There's a name (and avatar) I haven't seen in ages!!! You were the very first friendly face I met on AB like 6-7 years ago. If it hadn't been for you, I probably would have just asked my question and moved on, never giving a second thought to AB or anything of the like. Talk about a butterfly effect. 

I'm really glad to see you here again. I hope you stick around!!!
      July 16, 2018 12:17 AM MDT

Hey JA!! Aww, thanks! Lol! I do want to stick around but I wish more of the folks that I knew would come back (like ChelseaLee). :)
      July 16, 2018 6:14 PM MDT

July 15, 2018 10:41 PM MDT

• Araya , I must agree with you , you hit the nail on the head .
     Every generation goes though doubts from the old goats .
    My Grandfather who was born in 1901 saw and lived though some bad lean times . 
     He died in 1993 , was my best friend . 
    But I wonder too if he saw my generation that never went to war , work ,money , food was plentiful as being spoiled .
     I think the kids will be fine . :-)
      July 15, 2018 11:06 PM MDT