Discussion » Questions » Travel » Do you live near an Interstate Highway?

Do you live near an Interstate Highway?

Posted - July 16, 2018

Responses

• "4.3 miles to I-405"  (near enough for you?)
      July 16, 2018 1:52 PM MDT

And what a dreadful Highway that is!!!!!!!!!!!
    I swear (well not often) but I'll be damned if drivers don't lose what little mind they have when driving the 405!  I am serious!  You could have the most aware, considerate driver on the 118, allow them to merge on the 405.......... You have created a beast!
    Another driver takes over!!!!!! They forget they have turn signals, where they are going, how many lanes might be whizzing by them, and have found their horn!!!!!!!  
    It is a nightmare...
    Then, the same driver will get on the I-5, and find all those tossed driving rules.  
    Adding the other lanes did nothing other than make the whole scenario worse!  I'm sorry ALF.  I hear ya, drive the same roads and feel ya.

P.S.  I do use my turn signals and drive the speed limit. I am also the one in a convertible who doesn't have a clue which exit to take... but doesn't fret it either.. I'll catch the next one..
    Big winks and smiles! This post was edited by Merlin at July 17, 2018 3:50 PM MDT
      July 17, 2018 3:44 PM MDT

• So you're that driver I've seen driving the speed limit!! How does it feel always being last?!?  :))
      July 17, 2018 3:51 PM MDT

I JUST got home!!!!!!!!!
    It's taken years and MY, How Don has Changed!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a DAMN good thing he had not moved!!! This post was edited by Merlin at July 17, 2018 4:13 PM MDT
      July 17, 2018 4:09 PM MDT

The closest one to my house is I-29.  It's 16.8 miles away.
      July 16, 2018 2:14 PM MDT

Live in the city....surrounded by interstate highways, lol....
      July 16, 2018 2:15 PM MDT

Nope.  Access to the nearest interstate is 27 miles to the south, 18 miles to the east or 56 miles to the northeast of here.
      July 16, 2018 2:22 PM MDT

no and im glad, bad enough i live by the train tracks
      July 16, 2018 2:49 PM MDT

No, I live at least four thousand miles from one over here in Blighty...:)D 
      July 16, 2018 3:30 PM MDT

• I live a few miles from I-80. 
      July 16, 2018 4:59 PM MDT

Oddly enough, so do I. Just a couple of miles.
      July 16, 2018 5:06 PM MDT

About 5km to National Highway 1.
      July 16, 2018 5:15 PM MDT

The freeway passes through town (pop. 369) less than a quarter mile from my house, but it's a mile to the interchange.
      July 16, 2018 6:07 PM MDT

I'm surrounded by them, but they are far away enough not to piss me off. The local traffic does that just fine.
      July 16, 2018 6:09 PM MDT

Unfortunately, yes. It's still being constructed, and that'll probably go on for another 25 years. 
      July 16, 2018 6:42 PM MDT

I am sorry SavvyAnsley.  Don does construction for a living and I know what it is like to have construction going on around you all the time.  You wonder if there will ever be a day when you don't hear "noise" of all sorts.   Just know, you are not alone and someday there will be a great interstate that will benefit you and your community. This post was edited by Merlin at July 17, 2018 4:14 PM MDT
      July 17, 2018 4:06 PM MDT

It's really the destruction of animal's habitats and their very lives that saddens me most. I also feel for the humans who are losing their land and businesses due to "progress". My home is far enough away that it's not a daily nuisance, but I when I do have to drive in the many miles of construction, I can't help but think of all that's being lost for a very few minutes of gain for truckers and other travelers. Doesn't seem worth it in my opinion. 
      July 17, 2018 4:13 PM MDT

I hear your feelings and know what you are talking about.  I am in a catch 22 as is Don.  I think over-population and expansion of humans and their needs is dreadful and selfish.  I don't like it one bit.  I don't understand why people can't grasp the concept that they don't have to demolish the planet and all the animals that live here.  If they would like to be intimate with one another that is great.  They don't have to make another human and do so.  Taking away from the other animals that live here and need fresh water, territory and freedom is not doing any body or the planet any favors.  My heart and thoughts are with you.  
    Unfortunately, Don does that for a living.  Thank goodness he doesn't do union work or building freeways.  He mostly does custom homes.  Still, it does take up a lot of land and trees and things we all need to survive.  I hear you loud and clear.  :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at July 21, 2018 9:35 PM MDT
      July 17, 2018 4:27 PM MDT

This looks kinda junky, but it has always been called "The Bridge Between The Oceans". There are only three good places to cross the Colorado River and this was the only good place to build a bridge. The freeway now runs right past this sight.

There was no other reason to have a town here. The first commercial structure in the town was a whorehouse. It was on a hill just to the right of this picture, easy to see. It looked just like the hotels you see in western movies: all wood, terrifically ornamented, wooden sidewalk, balcony above, and so on. The rooms were surprisingly small. The lobby was smaller than the average home kitchen today. It was erected by a famous woman named Sarah Bowman, who was so big she was called "Great Western", after the biggest ocean liner of the day. 

I happen to be interested in this story because the building was still standing when I was a kid. We called it "Hobo Hotel" and nobody in town ever spoke of it. It was a long time later and in a library hundreds of miles away when I stumbled across the story of the place.
      July 17, 2018 10:40 AM MDT

I live about 8 and a half miles from 101.
      July 17, 2018 4:39 PM MDT

8-9 miles
      July 17, 2018 8:19 PM MDT