Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you often step, or even leap outside your comfort zone? How does it feel?

Do you often step, or even leap outside your comfort zone? How does it feel?

I was discussing this with my counsellor... and I very often do step, knowingly outside my comfort zone, particularly if it's a matter of injustice... But i don't like doing it.. feel nervous etc.. 

Posted - July 18, 2018

Responses

Nope.  It's called a comfort zone for a reason.
      July 18, 2018 9:06 AM MDT

Very true that.. it's where we feel safe and able to operate to the best of our abilities... but even so... it can become a limitation... like.. I hate driving, i get nervous if I have to go somewhere I don't know... but if I didn't... I'd miss out on so many things.. 
      July 18, 2018 9:35 AM MDT

I'm experimenting a little bit and so far I haven't been disappointed. However, with this experiment, it does depend on how I feel.
      July 18, 2018 9:09 AM MDT

Tis an experiment worth trying I'd think.. you never know until you try.. there will be things you find disappointing.. but you never know, out there among all the disappointing results there could be one that really brings you, teaches you, something special that you can then build upon..
      July 18, 2018 9:36 AM MDT

July 18, 2018 9:39 AM MDT

:)
      July 18, 2018 9:40 AM MDT

• Not as often as I used to, but if you don't ever push the envelope you wind up with a pretty small envelope.

People get afraid of what they don't know or understand, but after they've been there a couple of times they no longer fear it.
      July 18, 2018 9:18 AM MDT

Exactly.. I am that person lol, I'd stay in my nice safe house, never meet people, never try new things - so you do have to keep pushing that envelope even if just a little 
      July 18, 2018 9:38 AM MDT

• Let me bore you with a little story ....

My brother moved away, for many years, and when he returned we discovered that we both liked riding motorcycles.  He said he'd like to go on a ride with me, so we donned our motorcycles and ventured out into the canyon areas around Malibu Beach. 

We were coming down a canyon road, behind two cars and a small pickup ... doing the speed limit and I looked in my rear view mirror and he was falling behind.  I started to slow down, still watching him, when I saw his arms go straight/rigid on the bars.  He froze and drove straight into the hillside. (wasn't injured except for pride).

What we were doing ... going 35 mph down a twisty road following three cars that were doing the speed limit ... I didn't think twice about, but he didn't have much riding experience and was in over his head.

Anyway ... when a person first starts riding they are apprehensive about leaning the bike, mostly because when you tilt your head to the side, your brain signals something is wrong.  There are things that you can do and training to overcome this, but most beginners are unaware of them and learn on their own ... by running into walls.  :)
      July 18, 2018 10:06 AM MDT

Love it.. the moral of the story is... you live and learn and by trying things you learn more but sometimes you might get a bit bruised :)
      July 18, 2018 10:40 AM MDT

• Sometimes, true.  He could have learned the easy way, without getting bruised, but didn't. I could have shown him, but he didn't have a sign on his forehead that read, "I don't know how to go around a thirty-five mph corner at 35 mph." I felt really bad, but it could have EASILY been avoided.
      July 18, 2018 11:26 AM MDT

I'd say if you do it often ... then it isn't really outside your comfort zone.
      July 18, 2018 9:18 AM MDT

Ahh but I can assure you it is... each and every time.. and the reason for that is.. that it's not within my comfort zone.. it's not where I like to be

Ahh but I can assure you it is... each and every time.. and the reason for that is.. that it's not within my comfort zone.. it's not where I like to be

Not often.
      July 18, 2018 9:31 AM MDT

Well, if it's any comfort, I really don't enjoy it.. I am quite shy, reserved and don't like to draw attention to myself.. it makes me nervous and stressed. but I do it when I have to for the greater good, or because I know it's needed. 
      July 18, 2018 9:34 AM MDT

Me too. I kind of forget how to talk when Im out of my comfort zone. lol ;)
      July 18, 2018 9:34 AM MDT

not very often since its uncomfortable
      July 22, 2018 5:47 PM MDT