Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast

Tolerance

Why does it seem those who preach tolerance tend to be the most intolerant?

Posted - July 18, 2018

Responses

'Tis a puzzlement.
      July 18, 2018 1:37 PM MDT

Democrats to a Tea!
      July 18, 2018 2:20 PM MDT

Ahem.. cough...
      July 18, 2018 3:54 PM MDT

Yup. :)
      July 20, 2018 6:16 PM MDT

• No one should be tolerant of intolerance. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 22, 2018 1:39 PM MDT
      July 18, 2018 2:22 PM MDT

People that preach Tolerance have always been taught to leave a little Gap to allow for a bit of Wiggle room incase things Turn out wrong...   :)D
      July 18, 2018 2:37 PM MDT

I have never known anybody who preaches tolerance. If I were to meet some such person, I would consider them bonkers. Most things in life involve a choice between right or wrong. "Tolerance" in those cases is merely avoiding responsibility.
      July 18, 2018 3:24 PM MDT

I always try to be tolerant and I can't stand to be around people who aren't.
      July 18, 2018 3:47 PM MDT

It's a fascinating phenomenon... it's true.. and i have often wondered why... it's almost as if they truly cannot see their own actions.. Defence mechanism? Projection? 
      July 18, 2018 3:56 PM MDT

Tolerance is "an allowable amount of variation of a specified quantity."

If you use the correct definition, it is simple to understand that certain things are intolerable---i.e., totally unacceptable as a position or theory, and can be loudly denounced by a "tolerant person."

For example, "Shoot 'em all and let God sort it out" is is not a position to be tolerated when dealing with racism.

But to answer your question, tolerant people who seem to be the most intolerant frequently have the intelligence, education, and training to be able to easily identify the ideas and suggestions that haven't, don't, and won't work---or we are just plain stupid and overly macho.

And my experience is that we ae not hard to tell apart.

Edit: there is a concept in production management called "Lot Tolerance Percent Defective."  It allows you decide if you want to produce a perfect product (expensive) or one that can be examined and easily fixed before it goes into the box for sale (lower cost) and the buyer still gets exactly what he ordered.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with "intolerance."

This post was edited by tom jackson at July 18, 2018 4:50 PM MDT
      July 18, 2018 4:11 PM MDT

I'm just chiming in to say I 'liked' all the answers as of 07/18/18 - -  because all had me sitting here and reading and thinking.

And often being on the cruel (in-my-opinion) butt-side of intolerance from others, I'm sometimes too close to the subject to be fair.
    :)

I know I harp on it a lot, but, darn -- can't we get to that Golden Rule?! I was raised on it. I still think it would work wonders if somehow we all gave it a try. I am talking about the human species in general, not specific answers/people here.

Rough day, not making logical sense - - ha! I'm Sorry, Everyone!
    :)

Image result for THe golden rule This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 18, 2018 9:57 PM MDT
      July 18, 2018 4:54 PM MDT

It doesn't seem.  It is.  I've said this before.   That group can be described as tolerance-preaching bigots.
      July 18, 2018 9:32 PM MDT

The original definition of tolerance and the way in which the word is used now are quite different. Originally, tolerance meant to acknowledge that others have differing beliefs and accept that it is their right to do so. Something I can except. Today the definition of tolerance more closely resembles giving everyone and everything equal space to be right; acceptance of all views and actions as equally true; and lack of any judgment toward one another. That I cannot and will not accept for obvious reasons.  I'm thinking though that tolerance/intolerance isn't the real issue we are debating. It's only the politically-correct, easy-to-argue smokescreen disguising the deeper problem we don't really want to address-the issue of truth. As always, just my opinion. :)
      July 20, 2018 6:39 PM MDT

maybe theyre in denial that they dont have it themselves
      July 22, 2018 5:33 PM MDT