Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » Is it a bad idea to take a Jacuzzi in a thunderstorm if the Jacuzzi is located in your front room?

Is it a bad idea to take a Jacuzzi in a thunderstorm if the Jacuzzi is located in your front room?

Posted - July 19, 2018

Responses

I think it is ok. In the old days it was dangerous.
      July 19, 2018 7:26 AM MDT

What makes it ok now, opposed to the old days?
      July 19, 2018 7:28 AM MDT

I was wrong. It is advised not to bath, shower, do dishes etc during a lightening storm. About 20 people a year get shocked. 
      July 19, 2018 7:41 AM MDT

Yikes. I personally liked your first answer better. lol ;))
      July 19, 2018 7:43 AM MDT

Me too....I always thought is was an old wives tale not to bath in a storm....will not be doing that anymore.
      July 19, 2018 8:58 AM MDT

Invite Trump over and find out.  Use him for a guinea pig.

He's already a pig so you are not far from a perfect example.

July 19, 2018 7:48 AM MDT

It's a bad idea to take a jacuzzi anywhere.  Not only are they heavy, but they never offer to pick up the bill (freeloaders).
      July 19, 2018 9:09 AM MDT

Not at all. Why don't you ask Randy D to join you. 

July 19, 2018 9:14 AM MDT

probably
      July 22, 2018 4:34 PM MDT

Can't be many homes whose Jacuzzi is in the front room, but if using it was hazardous in a thunderstorm I think I would want the electrical wiring, especially the earth-bonding, testing PDQ!
      February 4, 2019 11:10 AM MST

Well I think that as long as the power plug to the Jacuzzi has a polarized plug it would be safe. But if you happing to be making toast in the Jacuzzi and a thunderstorm occurs it could be deadly because you might get startled and drop the toaster in the Jacuzzi. Cheers!
      February 4, 2019 11:23 AM MST

I think the question is very much tongue-in-cheek - as Nanoose seems to have taken it, too. Though the statistic My2cents gives about electrical shocks is disturbing, suggesting weaknesses in the design, construction or maintenance of the electrical systems involved.

For the thread so far reads right strange to me, and I wonder if some of you live in areas relaxed on electrical safety

To stick to the tongue-in-cheek though...

After all, what if the Jacuzzi were to be in the dining-room, kitchen, conservatory, or even (perish the thought) the bathroom instead? Would that be safer? Maybe move it according to the weather?

"Polarized" plugs? Aren't they all? (I.e., standard live, neutral and wired earth pin configurations.)

I didn't know you can buy portable Jacuzzis either, plugged into a normal wall-socket. I do not have any pattern of froth-bath, and I know no-one who does; but I am used to considering any such equipment to be fully-fitted, plumbed-in and with hard wiring to specific standards.  Even the lights in the bathrooms round our way have to use ceiling-switches worked either by a pull-cord if in the bathroom, or by normal switches but these outside the room. 

I will though, follow Nanoose's advice fully and properly by ensuring the integrity of the Sellotape round that frayed bit on the two-core, non-earthed 3A lighting cable I have connected to the toaster so it reaches from the socket outside the bathroom, to the appliance itself, on the bath seat - but tied on securely. And the bit of aluminium foil in place of the blown plug-fuse for which I'd forgotten to buy a replacement, might blow, with luck, when needed.

Naturally I will also arrange a plastic bag to minimise shower-spray entering said toaster, where apart from any risk of a full 240V shock from my hands to my toes in the nicely-conductive soapy water, I don't want the bread to become soggy.   

Also of course I will ensure the butter-dish is secure in the soap-rack, lest I create a slip hazard in the bath.

Jacuzzi in front room ... whatever will they think of next? TV in the bathroom and kitchen-sink in the garage?
      February 4, 2019 3:58 PM MST