Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Is it emotionally easier for men to walk away from a family than it is for women?

Is it emotionally easier for men to walk away from a family than it is for women?

Or do both parties seem to do it equally?

Posted - July 19, 2018

Responses

I have never been a man.  Don't know how to answer. 

I think it is an individual choice.  Some women have no maternal instincts at all.  Some men live for the family and vice versa.

July 19, 2018 2:16 PM MDT

Agree.....I think the odds are in the mothers favour though,,,,
      July 19, 2018 3:55 PM MDT

I don't like to generalise but almost always end up doing so..  In general it does seem men, especially traditionally find it easier to walk away, and this can start quite early, for instance, not saying all men are this way but I observed from my own experience, baby cries, won't shut up, dad tries to comfort baby, baby still cries, daddy gives up and hands baby over.. WHen that happened to me, I always thought.. hmm you CAN walk away but I don't have that option... It proved the case in so many times.. 

BUT that's not all men and I have heard many stories of the mum being the one who leaves it to the father, I have heard so many tales of men who are utterly destroyed at having to leave their family...  but I still think that whether by nature or nurture our society is still geared up so that it is physically, if not emotionally easier for men to leave. 
      July 19, 2018 2:22 PM MDT

Hey, I've got an idea! Let's make up cliches and hate each other!
      July 19, 2018 2:37 PM MDT

Except that it has nothing to do with cliches. There's a very logical answer below yours.
      July 19, 2018 3:36 PM MDT

I didn't see any hate.. perhaps you are seeing something I am not
      July 20, 2018 8:31 AM MDT

From a strictly scientific point of view ... meaning how men and women's brains operate differently ... it would be easier for a male, because the female brain is more developed for relationships while a male brain is more developed for linear thinking.  Thus making it easier for a male to rationalize an excuse to leave a relationship.
      July 19, 2018 3:05 PM MDT

That's kind of the answer I was looking for. Not necessarily one way or the other, but more whether there were statistics and science which led to a general answer. Thank you.
      July 19, 2018 3:35 PM MDT

I couldn't find anything to disagree on there.. in general men and women's brains are different, though not all and it doesn't always make a difference in practical terms but generally yes. They do believe however that while there are real differences in the brains that we cannot discount that women and men just have different neural pathways for doing the same job.. 
      July 20, 2018 8:33 AM MDT

May be 50/40 in favor of the mothers....a lots depends on what country the kids are born in though ...in many countries ,females are still second class virtual slaves....:( 
      July 19, 2018 4:01 PM MDT

It seems so, traditionally.  In recent times we are seeing more women simply murdering their kids to get them out of the way.  This is part of the breakdown of marriage and family and the pure crazy that has become epidemic in our society.    

*than*
      July 19, 2018 9:46 PM MDT

Good catch. 

I do think there has been an increase in parents killing their kids, but the stories I see most often are revenge killings and those where the parents think god wants them to do it. Still could be part of the whole thing though. I've actually looked to see if anyone is researching this because I feel certain there's been a huge surge, but nobody seems to be looking at that yet.
      July 19, 2018 11:32 PM MDT

And on the other hand can we really be sure there is more killing of children by parents? Even kids who were being abused were overlooked say when they went to hospital... I am wondering, a lot more was glossed over when I was young, and more isolation meant more could be covered up and hidden.. I am not saying it's so but it could be just that we are now more connected and able to read and hear about things? 
      July 20, 2018 8:35 AM MDT

There's no time for that.  Everyone is too busy for that; gotta destroy the president.  
      July 20, 2018 10:19 AM MDT

Yes of course if they have little or no emotional involvement.  Whereas our children ARE US so even if we try to let them go we can't do so without letting a part of ourselves go.  We are more family and community oriented because we derive our strength from those but men tend to in general be more work-oriented because they have to get over by their accomplishments.
      July 20, 2018 8:50 AM MDT

i wouldnt think it would be easy for anyone
      July 22, 2018 4:25 PM MDT