Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » How much lemon water can a person safely consume?

How much lemon water can a person safely consume?

I've always hated water and have tried to make it more appealing over the years, but nothing ever stuck. For whatever reason, I apparently like lemon water now. Nothing special- I just threw half a lemon in a pitcher of water and let it sit a while. You have to drink water here or you die, so I was probably getting 8-10 glasses per day anyway, but now I'm drinking at least twice that. 

Sooo.... How much can I safely drink and how can I tell when I'm at my limit? Do odd symptoms emerge if a person drinks too much? Or could I drink gallons of it without an issue?

Posted - July 20, 2018

Responses

• I don't know if there is a limit on water consumption, but an overdose of lemon juice is figured at around three cups a day.

Lemon Juice Side Effects:

Tooth Erosion
    Canker Sores
    Heartburn, Gerd, And Ulcers
    Nausea, Vomiting, And An Upset Stomach
    Frequent Urination And Dehydration
    Migraines
    Sunburn

Source:  https://www.curejoy.com/content/side-effects-lemon-didnt-know/
      July 20, 2018 1:44 AM MDT

I went that route too, except I froze lemonade and made granite. That is pronounced "gruh-nee-ta" and it is a distinctly Italian treat. 

That lasted a couple weeks. Now I make root beer by the gallon using half the suggested amount of sugar. Oh boy that is good! I add vitamin C just to be sure I get some regularly.
      July 20, 2018 3:44 AM MDT

Too much water can kill you; it causes brain swelling and seizures.  That would take gallons.  I drink coffee all day along with five or six pint bottles of spring water.  
      July 20, 2018 10:33 AM MDT

I'd think you would be safe to drink unlimited lemon water.. you would get vitamin C which can build up but I think the amount leeched from the lemon into the water is relatively small.. You could probably research that.. 

The only other thing I thought was... has this increase in consumption happened suddenly? Are you replacing other drinks with the extra lemon water, or is it that you are drinking lots more full stop? And, is it very hot at the moment? Sudden increased drinking for no reason might be a sign of a health problem. 
      July 20, 2018 10:46 AM MDT

It's summer in Arizona. We're ranging temps from about 110-117. It's also monsoon, the rainy season, which means it's humid too. I looked at the "feels like" temp the other day and it said 130. So, yeah, it's hot. It's really easy to get dehydrated, so even though I normally drink 8+ glasses per day, it's a little light. I tend to force myself to squeeze in the last couple glasses before bed so I don't wind up with muscle cramps. I had to move my mom from one assisted living facility to another on Monday and just about died. I also had the flu last week, so I'm still trying to get my body back to feeling ok. I'm probably still not drinking enough water for what my body has been contending with, but I'm getting there. 
      July 21, 2018 4:53 PM MDT

i would think you could drink as much as you want
      July 22, 2018 3:58 PM MDT