Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » For those people who are eligible to vote in a particular election but choose not to, what are some VALID reasons for opting out?

For those people who are eligible to vote in a particular election but choose not to, what are some VALID reasons for opting out?

~

Posted - July 26, 2018

Responses

I usually don't bother with general  local elections because they are all unopposed. Primaries are what matters here. 

I do vote if it is something that matters....different Proposals, tax issues etc. But if it is all unopposed candidates I just don't bother. 
      July 26, 2018 8:29 AM MDT

I don't usually vote in primaries, but I always vote in general elections.
      July 26, 2018 10:56 AM MDT

I usually vote.. there's been a time or two when I haven't.. usually local elections.. mainly just too busy, can't find time, (perhaps it was a day where I worked during the day and again all evening) or just can't-be-a**ed-itis
      July 26, 2018 11:13 AM MDT

Ennui.  General belief that the system is rigged.  The politicians lie.  And why bother.

But NOT THIS TIME.

THIS TIME... anyone who is a Democrat must take the seat.  People of the heart and mind and soul of this country must be able to officiate in whatever capacity they can gain foothold; so that they can oust Trump and his insane and frenzied focus on selling this Nation to the Highest Bidder.  In this case, the person who holds him by the short hairs.

VOTE BLUE. 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 26, 2018 1:28 PM MDT
      July 26, 2018 12:14 PM MDT

I'll answer the question now.

In the drunk-tank during election day.
    Having a baby.
    In the hospital with injuries or a heart attack.
    A funeral and reception.
    Unexpectedly called out of town.
      July 26, 2018 12:16 PM MDT

Apathy
      July 26, 2018 1:17 PM MDT

I think any reason is "valid".  People can do what is most meaningful (or not) to them. 
      July 26, 2018 3:30 PM MDT

Bad case of rigor mortis. 
      July 26, 2018 3:37 PM MDT

dont know much about the people im voting for
      July 26, 2018 4:59 PM MDT

Being uninformed is a valid reason not to vote.  I implore people to not vote if they don't care enough to know what's going on.

July 26, 2018 6:49 PM MDT

No matter who you vote for, the government always wins. The identity of the candidate makes almost no difference.

Every government rules with the permission of its citizens, or at least enough of them to support the country while enforcing policies on the rest. When the citizens withdraw their consent to be governed, the regime collapses. You don't have to throw it down, just stop holding it up.

Deuteronomy 30:19
    I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

That is a very basic distinction: a political system encourages you to die for your country, but the ways of rightness ask you to live. It is also distinctive that God commanded His people not to create a central government.

But of course some people do not consider "rightness" to be the same as "valid". That's ok, they are on their own. I've read the book. We win in the end. And that is NOT up for a vote.
      July 27, 2018 12:28 AM MDT

"When the citizens withdraw their consent to be governed, the regime collapses. "

Please, give an example where that has happened, without an active revolution.
    I can't recall an instance.
    There are always enough citizens joining the military ... or the regime imports mercenaries.

This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at July 27, 2018 10:54 AM MDT
      July 27, 2018 10:54 AM MDT

"Consent of the governed" is a basic principal of government. More basic than some people care to admit.

For example, some legislatures have considered passing a law requiring Jewish babies to be circumcised by MDs. The rabbis told them to consider something else because priests have been circumcising babies a lot longer than legislatures have been passing laws. The law was never passed.

Google "jury nullification". A jury has authority to acquit a defendant even when he is clearly guilty, just because they think the law is unjust in that particular case. Of course nobody ever tells the jurors that.

You don't see examples very often because the sheeple are often too terrified to exercise their rightful powers. And quite often the example is passed off as a moment of glory, as is the case with the American revolution.

Another example is the whiskey rebellion. You can google that to get the story. A small group of people in Pennsylvania still remember that as if it happened last week, but a closer look shows that the government had to back down because so few citizens would march with the army to collect the tax.

There is no shortage of examples, only an unwillingness to re-evaluate things.
      July 27, 2018 3:43 PM MDT

In other words, you don't have any examples of a regime collapsing, through anything OTHER than people actively working against it.
      July 27, 2018 5:29 PM MDT

You simply refuse to accept my examples. Ok, you're on your own. This post was edited by Not Sure at July 27, 2018 11:10 PM MDT
      July 27, 2018 11:08 PM MDT

The only examples you gave are people working against the system.

You SAID that isn't necessary.  Quote: "When the citizens withdraw their consent to be governed, the regime collapses. You don't have to throw it down, just stop holding it up."

So ... I asked for one example where people didn't work to "throw it down" (which means they took an active hand it ending a regime.  Either through peaceful or violent means.)

NONE of you examples show that.  They ALL include people actively working against the government.

July 30, 2018 11:26 AM MDT

In my case, it's because I feel alienated from traditional left-right politics.

I regard myself as left of centre on bread-and-butter issues, but right of centre on cultural and social issues, so none of the parties in my country come close to representing me. One party says we should slash the state and pander to the super-rich, the other says we can just solve all our problems by throwing money at them, but when it comes to many of the issues I care about, like immigration, policing and civil liberties, they are all singing from the same grubby hymn sheet. 

Come the next General Election, I will probably abstain again, unless there is the option of voting for one of the smaller newer parties such as the English Democrats or For Britain. Or unless there is a good independent candidate. Nothing wrong with voting for the lesser of two evils (or the least of several) if it is an informed choice, but it shouldn't just be voting for the sake of voting.
      July 27, 2018 6:17 AM MDT

I am suspicious of the question. It is almost always asked by people who firmly believe there are NO valid reasons for not voting.
      July 27, 2018 6:30 AM MDT

I've voted in every election since I turned 18 but before that I never voted.  

I didn't vote in student council and class president elections in high school.  I also sat out the elections for homecoming king and queen and prom king and queen.  I didn't vote because I thought it was stupid popularity contest.  I guess I was a poor citizen in high school, lol.
      July 27, 2018 8:26 AM MDT

I didn't vote for the king/queens, either ... because those didn't effect me.
    The class officers, however, are utilized after graduation ... for things like reunions, alumni activities, etc.
      July 27, 2018 10:56 AM MDT

Sometimes all the candidates are rubbish. 
      July 27, 2018 2:05 PM MDT

can you say...GERRYMANDER?

July 30, 2018 11:27 AM MDT