Active Now

Spunky
Stu Spelling Bee
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Have you ever called the safety number om the back of a semi truck? What for?

Have you ever called the safety number om the back of a semi truck? What for?

I just did. We had a trucker just run us off the road and nearly into a wall. I got the trailer number and license plate. Called the 1800 number and left a voice mail. Stating the numbers and where we were located on the interstate at the time. Left my name and number as well. 
Do the call back? 

Thank God, my husband was alert and handled it safely. 

Posted - August 6, 2018

Responses

no cause I dont even drive
      August 6, 2018 9:53 AM MDT

I never have. Did they not see you or something? I'm always nervous around those things, but I've always wondered what would happen if you call the number.
      August 6, 2018 9:58 AM MDT

I don't know why but he suddenly and quickly came over into our lane. I don't if he had to avoid another driver on his other side or what. But we were not happy. I just got a recording press 2 to report a safety issue. And left the voice mail. No call back at this point.
      August 6, 2018 10:21 AM MDT

I'm not sure if those numbers work.  You might want to alert Highway Patrol.  Before getting too mad, make sure you weren't partially at fault.  Truckers have major blind spots - especially when it comes to small cars.  Granted there are a few truckers out there who think the road is only for them.  Some also drive a truck as if it were a car (especially the ones who were not trained properly).  When you're around a truck, always assume that it's driver can NOT see you.
      August 6, 2018 10:06 AM MDT

It was just a voice mail. We actually kind of in front of him (in our lane) when it started don't know it he was trying to avoid another driver on the other side or what. 
    There was no injuries or anything and truthfully I don't want to wait for HP. 
      August 6, 2018 10:28 AM MDT

Never called one.

If I have a problem with a truck driving ... I'll call the police.
    I've done that numerous times, when they run red lights.
       I know those big rigs don't "stop on a dime" - so they should start stopping when the light is yellow.

Don't forget to give the information to your insurance agent, as well.
    Even if there is no damage, they will report it to that company's insurance carrier.
    That's probably the best way for word to get back to the driver's manager.
      August 6, 2018 11:13 AM MDT

I have never seen one run a light or anything. This was actually my first issue with one. 
    I had not thought about calling my insurance company...I will do that. 
      August 6, 2018 7:55 PM MDT

It is so common in this area, for log trucks especially, that I won't go on a green until any approaching truck has actually stopped.
    I've seen too many go through lights that were red when the truck was a block away, and had plenty of time to stop.
      August 7, 2018 7:14 AM MDT

• "No" ... it's no telling how long that sticker had been on there and whether the trailer still belongs to the company that put it on there. Also the license plate on the trailer doesn't match the one on the tractor and because few drivers have their own trailer ... it is undoubtedly on another truck by now.

The information that I would gather would be .... (if they didn't stop)

Tractor license palte
    Tractor unit number
    Company name (on the TRACTOR door)
    Location of incident
    Time and date of incident
    Lane occupied and direction traveling

August 6, 2018 11:49 AM MDT

We were not close enough to get numbers off the tractor but I do have the rest and left it on the voicemail. 
      August 6, 2018 7:53 PM MDT

• That's good.  Best of luck.
      August 6, 2018 9:25 PM MDT

Not yet. I know my son, who drives an 18 wheeler, gets his share of honks, threats and even had a gun pulled on him once for going the speed limit in the slow lane. People are insane no a days. He said at least 80 percent of people driving at high speeds on the internet are on there cell phone , and he doesnt want to get into an accident because of there carelessness.

August 6, 2018 12:13 PM MDT

On the road today my son said that he is not driven around here....to many people on their phone TEXTING.  I don't even talk on my phone when I drive just too distracting. 
      August 6, 2018 7:58 PM MDT

Me either. It just doesnt make sense to risk an accident for something you can wait to get home to do.
      August 6, 2018 8:47 PM MDT

No, but I have called the suicide hotline and it wasn't on the back of a truck.
      August 6, 2018 12:15 PM MDT

I am glad you are still here. And don't need it again.
      August 6, 2018 6:19 PM MDT

No but I have seen a fair few of them driving really badly... diabolically.. They don't seem to care because being a large truck they know they won't be the one's getting hurt.. It's very lucky you were ok.. Perhaps a dash cam? 
      August 6, 2018 2:30 PM MDT

Sadly we do not have a dash cam. 
      August 6, 2018 7:40 PM MDT

If you don't want to know the answer to "How's my driving?" don't put the sign on the back of the truck.  I have called multiple times.  Big trucks terrorize people in cars.  When I see it I report it and I have called 911 before and been asked to stay behind the truck.  It's like it's up to car drivers to allow for the sleeping truckers rather than the truck drivers having to take responsibility stop driving when sleepy.  Also they threaten to run over cars going downhill.  I know they like to pick up speed when going downward but getting within a foot of a car going 80 mph is assault by definition.
      August 6, 2018 2:44 PM MDT

Do they call you back? 
    I thought about calling 911 but no one was hurt and it would have caused us to be late for an appointment. 
      August 6, 2018 7:50 PM MDT

Yes, I've talked to several trucking companies.  They want the number on the back of the truck and details if you have them.  When I dialed 911 they asked that I stay behind the truck until the state police could arrive and observe. They were there in minutes.  Just after I saw that grey car coming up behind me the  truck ran off the road and then jerked back on.  The blue lights went on and I kept driving.   
      August 7, 2018 2:46 AM MDT

The worst thing I ever saw was this tractor/trailer that pulled out in front of me.  2 miles later, he ran  through a school zone at 60 mph that had flashing lights on. Finally, he ran 2 red lights in the next town. I never could read what company it was. 
      August 6, 2018 3:41 PM MDT

Wow....never seen that. 
      August 6, 2018 7:51 PM MDT

Yes.  One truck tail-gated us at 65 miles per hour while I was passing someone in the slow lane.  He couldn't have been more that 10 feet behind us and my kids were in the car.  I called the company because their name was easy to see on the side of the truck.  I talked to a lady who said she would figure out which driver it was and would do something about it.  I'm glad I called them.
      August 6, 2018 8:22 PM MDT