Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Divisiveness.

Divisiveness.

With how divided our country (USA) currently is, what measures do you feel can be used to improve the deviciveness?

Posted - August 9, 2018

Responses

Every dominant culture eventually collapses, all in the same general manner and for the same general reasons. Symptoms are demands to close the borders, drastic drop in quality of entertainment, change in dominant religion and primary language, rejection of traditional morality, and others. Details and timing of the collapse are random, but always include many calls for improvements and cooperation. Here is an ebook explaining all the concepts:
    https://comingdarkage.blogspot.com/
      August 9, 2018 2:21 PM MDT

• Well, I hate to be cynical and pessimistic, but I don't really know that there are any means of remedying the divide. This country has been divided for a long time, at least since the Civil War. Economic prosperity (or turmoil, for that matter) and war can mask the divide, but it doesn't mean that it's not still there, festering quietly. That doesn't mean I think the worst is coming. The country was extremely divided in the 1960s and we mended, but the mending can fail. We may be headed for another "mend" or we could be headed for another civil war. I'd rather think the former, but I don't know. All I can do is try and see through the BS, even when it's a thick, dark fog. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 10, 2018 8:09 AM MDT
      August 9, 2018 2:48 PM MDT

There needs to be a greater focus on our commonalities, the need to agree on what the real problems are, and be willing to listen to all the ideas, no matter what party thought it up.

Partisanship is part of our problem, Dems voting for Dems for no other reason than party allegience. Repubs siding only with Repubs for the same reason. Both overlooking their own faults while continually spotlighting those of “the other side”, to no one’s benefit.  

Then there is the rhetoric. We’ll never achieve unity of purpose with a boorishly divisive president. Civility is in tatters. Lashing out is the M.O. of the day. There is a dearth of real leadership. 

There are many other issues that need resolution, but the current landscape is   unfavorable. 
      August 9, 2018 2:59 PM MDT

create jobs, i could use one
      August 9, 2018 3:36 PM MDT

How to end deviciveness?  Well, I would start with outlawing smartphones and all other handheld devices. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at August 10, 2018 7:04 AM MDT
      August 9, 2018 4:14 PM MDT

Don't be part of the problem.  Be part of the solution. 
    Remember, "We The People."   We are all here at the same time in the same space. Let's stop finding the faults in one another and find the good.  A little bonding session might be in order.  If we want to survive, we need to compromise some of our beliefs and listen.  Listen to each other.  See all sides and then decide what will better our needs, not our desires. This post was edited by Merlin at August 10, 2018 8:12 AM MDT
      August 9, 2018 4:16 PM MDT

Well, on one side you have the red corner, and on the other the blue corner....

Ding! Ding!

Quote from this website:https://washingtonsblog.com/2011/07/the-founding-fathers-tried-to-warn-us-about-the-threat-from-a-two-party-system.html

John Adams said:There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of  the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and  concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble  apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our  Constitution.

George Washington agreed, saying in his farewell presidential speech:

The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the  spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages  and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a  frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and  permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries, which result, gradually  incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute  power of an individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing  faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this  disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of Public  Liberty.

Without looking forward to an extremity of this kind, (which  nevertheless ought not to be entirely out of sight,) the common and  continual mischiefs of the spirit of party are sufficient to make it the  interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it.

It serves always to distract the Public  Councils, and enfeeble the Public Administration. It agitates the  Community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms; kindles the  animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and  insurrection. It opens the door to foreign influence and corruption,  which find a facilitated access to the government itself through the  channels of party passions. Thus the policy and the will of one country  are subjected to the policy and will of another.

There is an opinion, that parties in free  countries are useful checks upon the administration of the Government,  and serve to keep alive the spirit of Liberty. This within certain  limits is probably true; and in Governments of a Monarchical cast,  Patriotism may look with indulgence, if not with favor, upon the spirit  of party. But in those of the popular character, in Governments purely  elective, it is a spirit not to be encouraged. From their natural  tendency, it is certain there will always be enough of that spirit for  every salutary purpose. And, there being constant danger of excess, the  effort ought to be, by force of public opinion, to mitigate and assuage  it. A fire not to be quenched, it demands a uniform vigilance to prevent  its bursting into a flame, lest, instead of warming, it should consume.

“All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree.”

“Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be
    their own governors must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives.
    A popular government without popular information, or the means of
    acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both.”

“You must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place, oblige it to control itself.”

"No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”

―  James Madison, in Letters and The Federalist Papers

August 9, 2018 4:41 PM MDT

Absolutely prescient. How could we not have prevented it...
      August 9, 2018 5:29 PM MDT

The fallacy of Mr. Washington's reasoning is that when you have a central government, your opinion is worthless unless you can get someone elected to enforce your opinion. That means a party. It is part of the system. There have been nations without a central government (such as the American colonies) and they were free from the bickering described by Mr. Washington, at least until they demanded a central government.
      August 10, 2018 2:19 AM MDT

I agree with Don Barzini and K. James.  Democrats and Republicans are a big part of the problem but I don't know what to do about them.  I'm not sure abolishing them would even work because liberals and conservatives would still exist and the news media would still only pay attention to only those to groups of people and nobody else.

August 9, 2018 8:12 PM MDT

• I've lived a long time and I've seen a lot. At least I've been around long enough to draw some disturbing comparisons between today's culture and the one we lived in thirty or forty years ago. Much of today's strife is a symptom of a far more significant problem and that is a degeneration and deterioration of moral and ethical behavior. While we've seen an acceleration of knowledge and technology, there's been an appreciable decline in common sense and reason. We've never really had the wisdom to use what intelligence has brought. Someone long ago said that the accomplishments that mark us as being civilized are: Government, Religion, Artistic Endeavors, Law and Technical Advances. If that's the case, we've done a pretty good job of trashing the building blocks of civilization. Political parties and factions are poised to have us fight it out in the streets. I used to be cautiously optimistic but no more. We're sitting on a powder keg and it's not going to take much to set it off.
      August 9, 2018 8:58 PM MDT

"Someone long ago said that the accomplishments that mark us as being civilized are: Government, Religion, Artistic Endeavors, Law and Technical Advances."

Tell us his name so I can insult him.

One principle of Jewish and Christian belief is that Satan is the god of centralized government. A Christian tenet is that religion is made up by men and God does not approve. Laws - see "government". Art is an indicator of civilization, not a cause; lousy art is a prominent symptom of collapsing civilization. Technical advances have nothing to do with civilization. There are cities in S.E. Asia that had indoor plumbing and flush toilets 4,000 years ago and they are mostly remembered for their constant wars and stupid religions.
      August 10, 2018 7:49 AM MDT

People need to stop believing in the fairy tales their politicians feed them and get back to believing in God. 
      August 10, 2018 5:57 AM MDT

"deviciveness"?

It is possible to edit your post, you know. If you so desire, it's the 'Edit Description' button that you want. 
      August 10, 2018 7:08 AM MDT

Or perhaps you should give up the grammar police gig. 
      August 10, 2018 7:18 AM MDT

Yeah, right. As if that will ever happen, lol!  You're good, you've got jokes!  

As long as there are grammatical errors . . .

~
      August 10, 2018 7:31 AM MDT

Become an English teacher.
      August 10, 2018 7:35 AM MDT

No need. Just because one is adept at something doesn't automatically make him or her qualified to teach it. 
    ~
      August 10, 2018 9:11 AM MDT