Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Understand

Understand

What is one or more thing you wish more people understood?

Posted - August 11, 2018

Responses

So much for not responding to an atheist, eh? Too funny. 
    It is no great wonder that you perceive your God exactly as you’d like him/it to be. This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 12, 2018 4:28 PM MDT
      August 12, 2018 12:56 PM MDT

Don, you're babbling. We have a bible to tell us what God is. Some people misread it, some don't read it at all. That's why we who study it take seriously the command to "speak the truth in love." Even to atheists.
      August 12, 2018 4:07 PM MDT

The truth, it seems, is very subjective.. because while you clearly believe that.. that doesn't make it so.. You are entitled to your beliefs.. but that doesn't make them true. Just saying
      August 12, 2018 4:17 PM MDT

But it makes them true for us.  If you don't believe them that is your choice. 
      August 12, 2018 4:39 PM MDT

Well I did say it's subjective.. so I did take on board that some people believe it.. so I grudgingly acknowledge that for some people it's the truth.. I am not here to tell people what to believe.. I am dismayed for sure, sometimes a bit horrified... but I don't tell people what they can and cannot believe.. However, it does remain true that there's more than overwhelming evidence that the Bible, God etc.. in the form postulated is just a fantasy... I know it upsets people saying that.. and I don't like upsetting people, but in a debate on truth and facts then sorry to say, god as the creator etc is disproven.  
      August 13, 2018 12:56 PM MDT

Actually... I wanted to write a kinder version than the one I just sent... It's really not that I want to offend those who believe in god... I don't.. and I wouldn't ever bring this up... except what I can't stand is when religious people start trying to shove their beliefs down others throats... I don't mean you Office.. but Not Sure did post some things that highlighted the problem when people take their beliefs too seriously.. in other words start advocating things that are harmful, (i.e. forcing women to be subservient, losing freedoms and humane rights) and portraying those views as 'truth' - well that's when we have to gently suggests that truth and opinion/belief aren't the same things.. 
      August 13, 2018 1:21 PM MDT

Because that’s what you do, “speak truth in love”. Keep telling yourself that, you’ll keep convincing yourself you’re right. 
    Your posts demonstrate otherwise. 
      August 12, 2018 4:36 PM MDT

But if that is true then we just end up worshipping ourselves.  And whatever we want becomes our only law. 
      August 12, 2018 4:45 PM MDT

That God is the only answer. 
      August 12, 2018 7:54 AM MDT

To what? I can prove you wrong.

Can you not think of any question unrelated to God?

“What we call ‘God‘ is the ever-shrinking pocket of our ignorance.”
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 12, 2018 4:27 PM MDT
      August 12, 2018 1:03 PM MDT

Who is Neil deGrasse Tyson and why should I care?
      August 12, 2018 4:08 PM MDT

A much smarter fellow than either of us, and I wouldn’t expect you would, (Jewels).
    Your disdain for intelligence is your most glaring quality. 
      August 12, 2018 4:24 PM MDT

Well but don't you see?  Doesn't matter what you can "prove"!  Are your beliefs. whatever they may be, based on what you have to "prove"?   What I believe - we don't have to do that because its personal and we can even be ignorant of lots of things long as we get the basics.  Its what you know and not how much you know!  But God has given us free will and we can use it, if we so choose, to fight God rather than love and worship God.  If that is what we want to do.  
      August 12, 2018 4:34 PM MDT

There’s where we differ.
    I put no credence in unsupported presumptions, and I don’t practice Cognitive Dissonance. 
    My worldview is based on what can be shown, reality based on evidence and reason, not on what I merely wish to be so.

That’s what faith is, “...the substance of things hoped for, evidence of things unseen.“
    Clearly, the Bible has a problem defining evidence, much less producing any.

Believe as you wish, I’d rather be educated. This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 13, 2018 2:55 PM MDT
      August 12, 2018 4:54 PM MDT

True that many of us are not "educated" at least in the formal sense that you mean.  For various reasons. And many of us I guess are not smart or intelligent enough to understand difficult subjects or big words and all kinds of jargon.  Maybe you don't realize that by setting that up as your criteria you are creating a hierarchy for yourself.  Easy enough to look down at us mere imperfect mortals for our shortcomings and I guess simplistic understandings (or for you I guess misunderstandings).  Which however does not mean we don't or should not exist. Or that we are incapable of living happy lives or lives in service of others.  Yes are many things I don't know and would really like to know but I also know I that try as I do I am unable to understand them.  And that will always be so.  But my point is I know that I don't have to understand them so don't have to be hard on myself.

Goodness I would not even think of reading The Bible for "evidence" - just seems like that would be making it very difficult for myself and why would I want to do that?  I believe The Bible to be the Word of God rather than "evidence" for or against anything. 
      August 12, 2018 5:21 PM MDT

I don’t wish to insult you, and I know many who believe as you do.

Let me say this: what you say works for you, and it’s all well and good. Believing is easier than seeking to learn the deeper facts, and accepting things unseen is as expedient as it is intellectually unchallenging.

For those of us who find no reason to believe, evidence is lacking; for those who choose to believe, evidence is unnecessary. Hence, fantasy abounds there. 

This is not my way. 

I put a great premium on understanding the world, and the “truths” I found in the holy books I’ve read are patently absurd. The claims for divinity are unfailingly silly. I cannot just leave it that for something as important as forming my view of the reality of this life, in this universe. 
    Of course, being absurd or silly doesn’t rule out existance, but it doesn’t seem likely attributes of a being with infinite wisdom. 

Belief, I believe, is for those so inclined; but I am not as easily convinced.
    Regards to you. 
      August 12, 2018 5:49 PM MDT