Active Now

my2cents
Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » I saved, over a span of years, phone messages that help me when I'm down or need a smile. I just accidentally deleted them all.

I saved, over a span of years, phone messages that help me when I'm down or need a smile. I just accidentally deleted them all.

Help?

Big blow knowing I'll never hear those exact messages from those exact people ever again.

Posted - August 13, 2018

Responses

You would make a great stand-up comedian.

You know they say comedians are really people who are not laughing on the inside?

Anyway, that would be the best first line of a deadpan standup routine.

Pause, wait for the laughter.

I'm sorry, but that was God's way of telling you to stop attaching to the opinions of others in a time that has passed.  Love yourself another way.

Yes, it is nice to have cards and letters, but why do you need to depend on anything?  I have no cards nor letters and I just depend on the next right thing to do.  Like listen to Ekhart.

LOL

You would like him, trust me.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 14, 2018 11:24 AM MDT
      August 13, 2018 9:40 AM MDT

:)
    That was all probably good for me to hear. I still wish I hadn't deleted.
    Funny thing is -  I have had many people for long time tell me I would make a great stand up comedian. People do laugh a lot at things I say or do.

I like that guy in the video. You've shared him before but not this one with me. Another funny thing to me - - I should probably listen to how he quiets his mind but I need to quiet my mind first.

I'll keep thinking of what you posted, though.
      August 13, 2018 10:11 AM MDT

There may be a way to retrieve them..check online.

August 13, 2018 11:52 AM MDT

Won't work. Oh, well.
    Thanks for the inspiration, too.
      August 13, 2018 1:53 PM MDT

Contact your phone provider and ask them if there's a way to retrieve them.
      August 13, 2018 12:12 PM MDT

There isn't -- my answering machine is one of those old-school real answering machines that's attached to my landline phone and the manufacturer of the machine no longer exists.
    Oh, well.
      August 13, 2018 1:55 PM MDT

I feel for you.  I have the same kind of machine and when I mistakenly deleted a message, I couldn't get it back either.  I don't even know who it was from.
      August 13, 2018 5:20 PM MDT

That's happened to me before, too.
      August 14, 2018 11:09 AM MDT

Call your local FBI office and tell them the recordings were of mafia conspiracies ... I'm sure they have a way to recover them.  LOL
      August 13, 2018 1:58 PM MDT

That'd do it!
      August 13, 2018 2:33 PM MDT

Aww eeek that's really not good.. It's very cool you were able to save them and choose ones that bring a smile or more positive perspective - that seems a good strategy.. 

I accept you cannot bring them back so all you can do, I feel, is to learn from it and try to prevent it happening again.. there WILL Be other messages you can save.. not the same, maybe not quite as good but in time they will become precious too...  if the answer machine has tapes then maybe copy them or save them somewhere else to use in a device that isn't so delete inclined.. if not then perhaps play them but record them on something else, a microtape, a phone etc.. and back it up as many places as possible.. 
      August 13, 2018 2:06 PM MDT

Thanks. Yes I've thought of similar things like that and have never done it. And this isn't the first time I've deleted a set of them. So I've failed to avoid it happening again. I admit to being lazy at stuff like that.
      August 13, 2018 2:33 PM MDT

That means you are little more free today than you were yesterday.  :)
      August 13, 2018 4:23 PM MDT

Maybe you're right.
      August 14, 2018 11:10 AM MDT

• I've done it and know exactly how you feel.  Some of those voices I'll never hear again.  Be sure to call the ones you still can. 
      August 13, 2018 5:22 PM MDT

Thanks, Point of Light.
      August 14, 2018 11:11 AM MDT

I'd argue that happiness (or confidence, or support, or however we would term it here) needs to come primarily from within. This can be a step forward, to being someone who carries those voices, those words and those emotions with them anywhere, all the time, without any pressures or expectations (these so often being a source of disappointment) to turn to an external impulse to revive them. How've you been, Welby?
      August 14, 2018 11:31 AM MDT

Yes, I agree. Thanks, Danilo_G.
    I've had some challenges.
      August 14, 2018 1:09 PM MDT