Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » If the tables were turned and people treated Obama when he was in office like they treat President Trump, would it still be acceptable?

If the tables were turned and people treated Obama when he was in office like they treat President Trump, would it still be acceptable?

Posted - August 14, 2018

Responses

Many of us did not agree with his outlook or his policies.  And especially with his denigration of this country.  But we were content to let him have his   shot and enjoy his position.  Perhaps because of that there was just not the hatred felt for him that there seems to be for President Trump.  Don't know about anyone else but I was just not brought up or socialized to hate.  I do remember some public figures who did criticize Mr. Obama publicly were labelled by some liberals as "racist".  Which they are still using now to attack their enemies even though Obama is long gone!
      August 14, 2018 7:16 AM MDT

Perhaps if your guy Trump adhered to the Golden Rule, he’d be treated with more respect. 
    Or, maybe things are as he wants them.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 17, 2018 10:34 AM MDT
      August 14, 2018 8:10 AM MDT

Being politically incorrect sometimes is not a crime, its an asset.
      August 14, 2018 8:59 AM MDT

He's way more than politically incorrect, just saying.. and the point is.. if one behaves in an illogical, imbecilic way, ranting and then changing opinion every day, saying he never said things that he clearly did, calling everything fake - then that isn't just politically incorrect, it's worrying behaviour and more to the point it is NOT behaviour acceptable in a leader.. A leader should inspire confidence and respect.. when one shoots off at the mouth, speaking like an illiterate idiot, getting things clearly and badly wrong - then that doesn't inspire respect, or confidence - it inspires derision and disrespect... It's not people's fault they despise him.. it's his own actions that inspire that. 

To put it this way... it's like choosing the village idiot who can only get things done by bullying and hurting - I find it hard to comprehend that anyone would see choosing a nasty liar and braggish bully as a leader.. that is NOT acceptable behaviour and if it now has become something that people look up to then I honestly have no hope left.
      August 14, 2018 9:42 AM MDT

An asset for Trump, but disrespect from everyone else? How nice. 
    I’m not gonna compete with your programming.

(BTW, that was the weakest defense of despicable behavior I’ve ever seen. Sarah Sanders included)

This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 14, 2018 11:56 AM MDT
      August 14, 2018 9:44 AM MDT

The American people are used to Puppets running the country. Puppets that are politically correct without any convictions of there own.
      August 14, 2018 10:44 AM MDT

The American people get stuck with puppets to vote for, as a repeated result of the broken political system. Trump emerged as the “Non Puppet”, but unfortunately, he’s incompetent to govern, is of a uniquely low character and in declining mental health. 

Before you go there, Hillary was a terrible choice as well, her candidacy was the product of a tone deaf political machine. This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 17, 2018 10:35 AM MDT
      August 14, 2018 11:17 AM MDT

Do you have a link to where it says his mental health is declining? And for someone you claim to be incompetant, he sure has accomplished a lot in the short time he has been in office.

https://www.magapill.com/
      August 14, 2018 2:00 PM MDT

Why bother with the link, it isn't FoxNews. We’re all aware of your stance on all media that isn’t FoxNews. 

You and I completely disagree on the substance of Trump’s actual accomplishments. 

That said, he HAS managed to tell 4,229 lies in the 558 days since he took office: 7.6 falsehoods per day. THAT is quite remarkable.
     Trump has also exceeded the number of golf days that he slammed Obama for, ...in much less time. 
     I find it curious that Trump threatens to shut down the US Govt over financing a wall he repeatedly promised that Mexico would happily pay for. Don’t you?  This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 14, 2018 5:57 PM MDT
      August 14, 2018 4:48 PM MDT

Do you have a link for those lies he supposed to have told?
      August 14, 2018 5:01 PM MDT

Sure, the Washington Post has been keeping a running tally.

It seems likely you will dispute it as “Fake News” or whatever. Believe what you like. This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 14, 2018 7:59 PM MDT
      August 14, 2018 5:15 PM MDT

PolitiFact is keeping a running tally here https://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/

They also have a list of promises kept or not (only 25 of them)
    https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/subjects/politifacts-top-promises/ This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at August 14, 2018 11:38 PM MDT
      August 14, 2018 11:30 PM MDT

Let me start by saying Trump has earned some of his criticism. We all know if Obama’s had been treated this way people would have been called racist and bigoted. Period. If people spoke about Michelle the way they speak about Melania, they’d be called racist. 

There are some who said some horrible racist things about Obama and his family who probably are 100% quiet when it comes to Trump. Both sides are guilty of this. Doesn’t make it right. 
      August 14, 2018 8:25 AM MDT

Actually.. people DID speak about Michelle in a far worse way.. she and her children were called female gorillas.. I think perhaps you don't remember or didn't see all the vile things that were said about Michelle and the Obamas.. 

Obama wouldn't have been treated that way simply because he behaved in a manner befitting his office - regardless of whether one agreed with his policies - he behaved in a way that was dignified and which commanded respect round the world.. 

I see a LOT of defending going on where people criticised Obama's trips, his golf vacations etc.. the amount of money both cost the country.. But when Trump does it.. that's apparently ok.. hmm now that IS illogical and is hypocritical... but apparently they cannot see this.. As you say it's not right.

Sometimes when people say racist things.. they are racist.. One can criticise without referring to race..
      August 14, 2018 9:47 AM MDT

Did you read what I said? I acknowledged some people said some horrible and racist things about the Obama’s. But it wasn’t at the level of hatred for Trump. You of course favor Obama. I don’t favor either. Obama was clearly more tactful and clever how he insulted people, but don’t act if he was a saint. 
      August 14, 2018 10:21 AM MDT

I have some news for you They did. Only more so.

But you are right, People did not make as much fun of Obama as they do of Trump. He was much harder to ridicule (apart from the prominent ears.)
      August 14, 2018 8:27 AM MDT

Obama did damage to our country, he hated the United States. President Trump has proven by his actions, that he loves this Country and has done much more than Obama ever did to make it great again.
      August 14, 2018 9:01 AM MDT

• The memory span of some here is remarkably short. 

I was much younger then, but I remember a lot of hatred for Bush too. This is the kind of thing presidents receive. 
      August 14, 2018 10:41 AM MDT

Well the problem with that is... that Obama wasn't a lying, egotistical, megalomaniac... He didn't brag and exaggerate illiterately on twitter..Obama behaved with class and dignity... AND more to the point.. didn't do anything to deserve people's ire and ill-treatment.. 

I remember when Obama was voted in... people thought he could walk on water.. I knew he could not fix all the problems he inherited so I thought people were a little unrealistic in their expectations of him.. But I sat and watched... I had no cause to say anything bad about him... if I had have done I would have done..  The only thing that came close was when he threatened the UK over Brexit.. |He said something like that if we voted Brexit then America would have nothing to do with us again...  My feelings on that were that it discredited him.. he clearly THOUGHT that his silly threats would influence voters here? In actual fact if it had any influence it would have been the other way... that people would vote Brexit just to show that we don't take threats kindly...  I understand, and have said it before.. Obama didn't much like the UK... but I saw no reason to take issue with anything he did or said as it seemed sane, reasoning and reasonable as far as I could see and he behaved like someone worthy or representing a nation... 

I tend to speak as I find.
      August 14, 2018 9:32 AM MDT

JUst to add though.. if Obama were behaving like Trump and Trump were behaving like Obama, that is dignified and with class the way a leader should, rather than behaving like a deranged illiterate, then yes, I'd be making comments about Obama. 
      August 14, 2018 9:34 AM MDT

I dont care how a president acts, its actions that matter. Trump has kept most of his campayn promises and has accomplished much more than most presidents have in recent history.
      August 14, 2018 10:46 AM MDT

Most of his promises, and by golly weren't there a lot of them.. every time he opened his mouth a new promise spouted forth.. SO it would be pretty hard for him to keep most of his promises.. well mainly cos a lot of them were unrealistic pie in the sky rantings.. And I do confess I always thought he was way too busy drinking coca cola, tweeting, watching FOX News and swanning off for another golfing trip to actually get anything done.. 

However since we have fair reporting here I had a looksee and apparantly, to my utter shock he hasn't just been tweeting like a deranged idiot.. he has done a few things.. Regardless of whether they are good things or will further damage America remains to be seen.. 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37982000

And as to the question of whether he has achieved more than any other president... well since there is question over what is actually attributable to Trump and very little to base such a claim upon... I think that's probably just hype or wishful thinking. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/03/09/what-deals-has-trump-actually-gotten-done-as-president/?utm_term=.5a853cf7855f

As to his other achievements... yes alienating still further America, making them a laughing stock for electing the world's dumbest, least intelligent ever prez, making enemies of old, loyal friends, turning over half of fellow Americans into despair.... 

August 14, 2018 1:15 PM MDT

• They did. Constantly. All I heard online during Obama's presidency was incessant complaining, racist comments, accusing him of being a Muslim, of being the Antichrist, comments about how ugly and masculine Michelle was, about his daughters being sluts, all sorts of things. Trump has a much more incendiary personality, so I'm sure he is drawing more ire than previous presidents, but all presidents are mocked and hated by those who disagree with them. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 17, 2018 10:51 AM MDT
      August 14, 2018 10:39 AM MDT

The anti-Obama crowd on EP was just as bad as the anti-Trump crowd on AM.  It's nothing new and I'm pretty sure the next time there's a Democratic president the haters are going to be just as bad as the Trump haters are now.
      August 14, 2018 12:06 PM MDT