Active Now

my2cents
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Calling someone a "DOG" has an upside, a flipside. Dogs are devoted loyal loving protective. There's NO UPSIDE TO USING THE "N" WORD. Right?

Calling someone a "DOG" has an upside, a flipside. Dogs are devoted loyal loving protective. There's NO UPSIDE TO USING THE "N" WORD. Right?

Posted - August 15, 2018

Responses

You must be wrong.

We are constantly told that it's okay for blacks to use the "N" word.
    But nobody else.
    SO it must be a part of their culture that only they can do.
    Like only certain indigenous tribal members are allowed to legally use peyote, since it's part of their heritage.
    Or only certain other tribes are allowed to hunt whales, due to their heritage.

There must be some upside to it ... since blacks allow it within their own community.
      August 15, 2018 12:30 PM MDT

When Oprah Winfrey had a TV show she devoted one to this subject. She thought it was unforgivable and reprehensible that anyone would use the "N" word, ESPECIALLY African Americans. Some guests on her show were rappers, celebrities.  All African Americn.  ALL MALE as I recall. They tried to justify it but I didn't buy any of it. The word is very hurtful and racist and degrading. What possible LOGICAL reason could they give for using it among themselves but being outraged when others apply it to them? That, m'dear, is ILLOGICAL. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Walt.
      August 16, 2018 2:09 AM MDT

I'm not so sure.  Black people love using that word.  They call their "friends" it and even they rap about it in song as  if it were a good thing.  They wear that derogatory name as if it were a badge of honor.  Yet if a "non-black" person dares to even think about that word they get all up in arms.  My opinion:  if they don't like hearing it then they shouldn't be using it either (no one should).    
      August 15, 2018 4:45 PM MDT

That is illogical Shuhak. Whatever the underlying reason for that view might be escapes me. The word is derogatory, denigrating, degrading, dismissive, condescending, HURTFUL It does not magically shift gears depending upon who says it. Trying to convince others that it does is ridiculous. We're not convinced. Why? Because it doesn't make any sense. It is what it is and will forever remain one of life's mysteries. Precisely like how anyone could not only support TGITWH but do it proudly so! Thank you for your reply Shuhak!   :)
      August 16, 2018 2:13 AM MDT

It’s a word no one should use. I have serious problems with black people calling themselves and others that word and not letting anyone with a different skin color to use the word. It baffles me they use the word with the racist and horrible history of the word. It isn’t okay for anyone to use the word in my opinion. 
      August 15, 2018 4:58 PM MDT

I think it's like women who call each other "b*tch". We often use it as a term of endearment between friends, yet if a stranger says it, especially a man, it's an insult. 

I'm just guessing, but that's my take on it. 
      August 15, 2018 6:12 PM MDT

I have never called a female I like/love a bit** SA. I don't think it's endearing at all. If it is mutually agreed to by all involved I suppose it is harmless. But it ain't for me. Not my cuppa tea.  My two scents' worth! Happy Thursday! :)
      August 16, 2018 2:16 AM MDT

I understand, Rosie. It might be a generational thing? 

There's a funny vid about all the ways to use the word, but I don't want to get dinged for profanity again. :)

Happy Friday! 
      August 17, 2018 9:34 AM MDT

Probably true sweetie. Us old folks grew up with different rules. But about the profanity Say What? I say "sh**" and "dam*" and "he**" a lot and I have not been dinged yet. What word did YOU USE my friend? Oh wait. If you tell me you're gonna be dinged again so don't tell me. Strange. Maybe because I'm off by myself I can get away with it? I dunno. Thank you for your reply SA and Happy Friday! :)
      August 17, 2018 9:43 AM MDT

I quoted Trumpty Dumpty here (sh!thole) and got dinged. 
      August 17, 2018 10:17 AM MDT

What? I just said it in on another thread! The one about "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"IFDR) and "Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country"(JFK). Then I listed below all the crappy things donjohn has said INCLUDING SH**hole countries. I don't get it SA. Why is it OK for me and not OK for you? I am not special. JA put me in my own little place to get me off and away. Which is fine with me. Fair is fair though and that is no way fair. Maybe she will explain WHY.  Maybe someone will tell her. I never go to her or anyone for anything. I just mosey along doing my thing. I'm disappointed. I don't like being treated differently. Maybe because I'm so old and may not   last long I get more wiggle room? SIGH. Thank you for the info. Sad am I!  :(
      August 17, 2018 10:26 AM MDT

I didn't ** any part of the word when I posted it. The rule is no profanity on the main sections, and I understand it. At that time there was another post with profanity that was left as it was, and I didn't feel that the policy was being fairly enforced for everyone, regardless of their political opinions. The situation was rectified, and I'm trying to remember to !@#$* parts of profane words. BTW, did you know that they are now automatically ** in private chats? I find that strange, but maybe the rumors about private chats not really being private are true and someone who is monitoring them doesn't want to be offended? 

To be clear, I believe JA is very fair and unbiased. I don't believe the same is true of all moderators.

**As far as I know, it's okay for me to make that general, non-specific statement. If it's not, I'm sure I'll hear about it.**

August 17, 2018 11:43 AM MDT

Once again I agree with thee word for word. Thank you for your reply Rizz.
      August 16, 2018 2:13 AM MDT