Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » According to whichever source you use 50,000-65,000 US bridges are unsafe/dangerous/in need of repair. Do YOU bridge to work?

According to whichever source you use 50,000-65,000 US bridges are unsafe/dangerous/in need of repair. Do YOU bridge to work?

Do you bridge anywhere? School, visiting relatives, going on vacation? Are these unsafe/dangerous bridges posted as being unsafe/dangerous? Are any of them blocked/closed/shut down/inaccessible?

Posted - August 16, 2018

Responses

Our 50 year-old "freeway" is elevated right through the center of town.  After the collapse of the Cypress Structure in 1989, they supposedly "reinforced" it.  Even so, driving beneath it isn't the "funnest" thing, nor is being stopped at a red light underneath it. 
    Most other bridges here (all made in the late 1800's to early 20's) have been or reinforced, replaced (as they either collapsed or washed away), or were completely bypassed and turned into historical landmarks.
      August 16, 2018 9:55 AM MDT

Was that the Nimitz freeway? My son lived up there during that time and I think there was a ballgame that night. The structure pancaked. I couldn't get hold of him and panicked. Finally at 9:30 pm I got a call from him from his then-girlfriend's office. Terrible times. Thank you for your reply Shuhak.
      August 16, 2018 10:19 AM MDT

Yep, it was the Nimitz.  We took that section of freeway to get to my grandma's all the time.  As a kid I always looked forward to going on it.  I remember being able to see the Nabisco building from the lower deck (about all you could see from under there).   Really good place to see out of state license plates.  The top part (westbound) wasn't so much as it was just like any other freeway, but the lower deck was neat... of course so was being "flushed" through the Alameda tube (the tiling made it look like a bathroom)
      August 16, 2018 12:24 PM MDT

I think that was about the scariest thing I've ever experienced Shuhak. Being hundreds of miles away and not knowing what was going on. My son and his pals were big baseball fans and regularly attended games. Almost 30 years ago and I still remember being paralyzed with fear and there was nothing I could do about it but sit and wait. I'm not good at that. Thank you for your reply. That was long ago and far away! When freeways or bridges collapse there are usually casualties. How do you escape it if you are in the middle of it? This post was edited by RosieG at August 17, 2018 8:57 AM MDT
      August 17, 2018 3:17 AM MDT

I drive a few.

One (Longview - Rainier) was privately built in 1929-1930.  
    Interesting tidbit - it was designed by the same fellow who did the Golden Gate Bridge.
    The original investor/owners sold it to the government, and it was paid for by tolls.

According to Oregon and Washington ... every single major bridge in those states is overdue to major repairs or renovations.
      August 16, 2018 11:23 AM MDT

I guess spending money on building a 6th arm of the military...a Space Force; "paying" the wealthy an additional $100 billion in tax cuts; building THE WALL; paying hush money to possible stoolies or former sex mates; letting gubment heads splurge  and pig out at the public trough; etcetera and so forth is far more important than repairing unsafe and dangerous infrastructure. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Walt.
      August 17, 2018 3:25 AM MDT

That would be true for the interstate bridges/infrastructure.
    But the bridges and roads that are the responsibility of the state are also in need of major repairs/replacement.
    So the question is ... what are the states spending money on? (that they can't pay for maintenance/repairs)
      August 17, 2018 8:01 AM MDT

I dunno Walt. The roads in Hemet, California are old and rutted and crappy. We are a retirement community and not part of the ritzy rich. I betcha the roads etecetera in Bel Air or Beverly Hills or Malibu or any other ritzy ditzy California town are PERFECT! What d'ya wanna bet? Money talks bigly 24/7. SIGH. Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 17, 2018 9:23 AM MDT

I bet the main roads in those towns are ... but the "back streets" are probably as run-down as most towns.
    I get that the main corridors/roads have better maintenance, since they are use more (and by out-of-towners).
    But the "back roads" should have at least 50% the budget of the "main roads".

Of course, now we're getting materials that don't wear as fast ... so it would make sense to at least replace roads you don't want to maintain as often with that material.
      August 17, 2018 9:54 AM MDT

Have you ever visited Bel Air, Malibu, Beverly Hills Walt? Or any place in California for that matter? We have Carmel and Monterey up north and Laguna Beach and La Jolla in the south and other beach towns as well. All gloriously beautiful. The ritzy ditzy spiffy wealthy towns are very well maintained. I can't state it factually because I have not visited every inch of those towns but I'm pretty sure there are no back roads or backstreets that are rundown in those towns. If anyone out there does know and I'm wrong please correct me. Thank you for your reply WAlt! :)
      August 17, 2018 10:13 AM MDT

The only place I've gone in California in the last 20 years, has been to the redwoods.
    Not that I have anything against California in particular ... I try to avoid ANY large city (over 30k population), if I can.

Nor do I know much about those towns in specific.
    I imagine they are similar to the "bedroom communities" around the larger cities in Oregon/Washington, though.
    Mostly wealthy people - but there are some middle/lower income neighborhoods. 
    For "the help", you know.  And those are the ones that tend to lack infrastructure maintenance.
      August 17, 2018 10:32 AM MDT

Redwood country is beautiful.  Maybe one day you'll see your way clear to visit here and see the sights. Thank you for your reply Walt!  :)
      August 17, 2018 11:03 AM MDT