Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Education » Do you think there should be legal high centers or sex centers so people remain stable?

Do you think there should be legal high centers or sex centers so people remain stable?

Posted - August 20, 2018

Responses

No because that would be just increasing the problem and taking the responsibility of dealing with it away from the individual.  If they can't cope with that they will not be able to cope with anything else really. That kind of "stability" is only illusory. 
      August 20, 2018 4:49 AM MDT

• Reality by the tail!

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 22, 2018 1:01 AM MDT
      August 21, 2018 4:48 AM MDT

I'd rather we offer free treatment centers for drug/alcohol addiction.
    That has been proven more effective than punishment.

As to "sex centers" ... why?
    People can "get relief" for free.
    Though I believe prostitution should be legal and regulated (for health reasons).
      August 20, 2018 8:36 AM MDT

As others said.. no..  It doesn't really help anyone... it just creates more problems.. treatment should be offered yes, but allowing people, or even condoning no.. 

As to the sex centres... in an ideal world no.. it just perpetuates the idea that women are/should provide sex - which really doesn't educate and doesn't resolve the problem.. Unfortunately, even making it legal doesn't help.. In Amsterdam where prostitution is legal there are still problems with drugs, women drugged and/or trafficked into prostitution, controlled by mafia. The girls are often abused by the men who control them, and from punters. Women *disappear* regularly.. And unfortunately, while one can say it's a job, like any other - this job runs a personal risk, bodily to women and in terms of STDs..
      August 20, 2018 2:21 PM MDT

Yes but seems to me your perception (the questioner did not mention gender) is that it is men who would "need sex" to remain stable.  And we do not.  Do you recognize the dichotomy there?  I look at sex more as a desire than a "need" so I think it is not necessary for anyone to be stable.  And I would mention that though mostly men do pay for it that some of us do as well.  For particular services or desirable situations. 

And I am thinking that if such hypothetical "centers" were government-run (and please understand I am not advocating them or that at all) there would be much less exploitation of the kind you have mentioned.  And while those all are very real problems I would point out they are very much tied to particular life styles and needs and strata of society.  There are many millions of women who operate intelligently on their own and so avoid those worst-case scenarios. 
      August 21, 2018 5:45 AM MDT

Just to reassure you.. nothing of the sort was intended.. I personally don't believe men or women need sex.. want it yes, desire it yes, but need - no.. Perhaps someone with a sex addiction might.. but even that's not a guaranteed position.. The questioner didn't mention gender - I absolutely grant you that.. but it seemed implied... and generally speaking female sex workers are the more common.. and where there are male sex workers many of their services are utilised by men... perhaps we are being a bit finicky but yes, I always seek to be fair bearing in mind that there are real and nurtured differences between men and women when it comes to sex generally.. my hobby is sexology so yes, I do take on board female thoughts, feelings and attitudes towards sex.. We agree but technically speaking you are correct that I didn't address the female side of things.. usually I do things on here in way too much of a hurry, in between other things and always trying to get as many answers in as possible.. Perhaps I should slow down :)

I take your point..about government run sex centres...  it's an interesting idea.. but I still think, it's exploitative and in a direction we really ought not to go.. This goes deeper.. should we really encourage people paying women, particularly for sex? I heard an interesting debate once.. Michael Sandell, an American I think, calls himself the public philosopher or something, (see I am rushing again lol) and one of his debates included dwarf throwing and prostitution.. Dwarf throwing is where people of restricted height are paid to be thrown.. I do see comparisons.. Sandell asked.. even though the people of restricted height were consenting.. was it really non-exploitative... and even though they get paid.. is it really ok? The person of restricted height gets money.. but they risk their life, they get hurt.. it isn't at all a pleasant job.. I see again direct comparisons there.. Professional women, (and men!) risk their lives, both in terms of STDs, (condoms don't protect against everything and if they break it's the sex worker who gets stung)... And they get hurt.. and it's not a pleasant job.. Anyone who thinks it is is sorely mistaken and really doesn't understand how it works.. They don't get to choose and actually it isn't nice to have to have sex with someone who is really unappealing.. not to mention may be violent, aggressive, derogatory or rough.. 
    This feeds into your point, with which I agree - about it being part of a lifestyle.. well not always as that doesn't apply to people who are trafficked or held hostage by making them dependent on drugs.. .but yes, many of the women are poor and need the money, perhaps not able to easily find other work..  But see, that is what I am saying.. SHOULD we allow such people to be exploited, even if they are willing.. how willing are they.. maybe they feel they have few alternatives? Is that the answer? It's like the dwarves.. IS it ok.. 
    You point to high class women who make almost a career out of it.. yes, those exist.. but they are the minority, And they are also at risk both from STDs and violence/murder, quite often they have to do more to earn their money too...Selling sex is one of the oldest professions.. but I wonder... doesn't it really say something about attitudes to women that we believe that  men, (usually men) have the right to buy sex.. I wonder if a whole attitude shift isn't really needed here..  

Just my thoughts :)

August 21, 2018 1:18 PM MDT

• Reality by the tail!
      August 21, 2018 4:50 AM MDT

Hear in BC we have legal safe injection sites. They don't  get free drugs but they do get free needles and free distilled water (junkie sometimes use water from a ditch or puddle to cook up their fix). There are also trained people at the centers in case someone over doses. The centers also pay 10 cents for old needles so it helps to keep dirty needles out of the community park so I think the centers are a good thing, BC also has a free legal methadone program its expenses to run  and not very affective  so  to quote Joey Ramona - I'm against it and I'll use the same quote to legal sex centers. Cheers!
      August 21, 2018 1:54 PM MDT

I'm with the general consensus vote on this.  No.  I don't think either would be a good idea.
      August 22, 2018 1:07 AM MDT

probably
      September 9, 2018 4:47 PM MDT