Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Why don't they build bigger prisons giving inmates more space to keep their sanity instead of cramming them in cage like areas?

Why don't they build bigger prisons giving inmates more space to keep their sanity instead of cramming them in cage like areas?

At least they can set their settings up so they can maintain some comfort instead of mentally pummeling them so they get crazier upon release. You can't lock people up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted - August 20, 2018

Responses

Where do you honestly feel States and the federal government come up with the funds to build all new prisons? They cost millions of dollars to build. We are over twenty trillion dollars in debt. Most states aren’t in any better financial shape. Why don’t people stop committing crimes? Prison isn’t meant to be fun and like a vacation.

Yes we can lock up people. People who steal, rape, molest children, kill, rob, sell drugs don’t belong in society. What do you suggest we do with convicted felons?  This post was edited by Rizz at August 22, 2018 1:17 AM MDT
      August 20, 2018 4:35 AM MDT

(I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's probably posted in jest.)
    ~
      August 20, 2018 4:59 AM MDT

Maybe so, but it’s a serious topic to me.
      August 20, 2018 4:07 PM MDT

• Hey! This has quite taking me aback! It's the smartest thing anybody has ever said! Officer? Sir?☺
    Thank you very much! I am honored! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 22, 2018 1:17 AM MDT
      August 20, 2018 10:33 PM MDT

They lock people up to keep them from further harming others.  
      August 20, 2018 4:42 AM MDT

(I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's probably posted in jest.)
    ~
      August 20, 2018 4:59 AM MDT

• It really was!

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 22, 2018 1:18 AM MDT
      August 20, 2018 10:39 PM MDT

(cage-like)
      August 20, 2018 4:58 AM MDT

I agree.
    We shouldn't lock people up.
    We should just shoot them, as soon as they are found guilty.
      August 20, 2018 8:03 AM MDT

Randy D believes this is posted in jest.. I can see why he thinks that..  However, since it's an interesting question and I am home from vacation relaxing this evening, having been offline for several days.. I do agree with others.. prison is supposed to be a punishment and a deterrent - it's not supposed to be fun. 
    There are issues regarding human dignity and avoiding ill-treatment but i think many would say that most prisons are way too lax and way too comfortable.. 3 meals a day.. tv, videos, often education as well.. 
    There's also the point others made.. prisons cost an awful lot to built.. I am worried they are starting to say let people off some crimes because the prisons are overcrowded.. I don't like that at all because as it is the conviction rates and arrest rates are going down :(
      August 20, 2018 1:50 PM MDT

In Oregon, statistics show that 75% of convicted criminals don't serve time in prison because there isn't enough space for them.
      August 20, 2018 2:35 PM MDT

Sigh well in that then we share that problem as the same is true of the UK :(
      August 20, 2018 2:48 PM MDT

It would be nice if we had "Demolition Man" technology.
    Freeze 'em and teach them a trade while they're incarcerated.  

Although if we had the ability to program brains ... we could go with the total reprogram, and create a new identity for them, and resettle them far away from their victims.  I mean, that would essentially "kill" that criminal.  (I think there was a movie with that, as well.)
      August 20, 2018 2:57 PM MDT

Perhaps if they remembered these two simple thoughts, they wouldn't be there to begin.
    1. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    2. When there is action there will be a reaction.  If you would not like to be put in prison as the reaction, you probably needed to rethink the action. 
    You should see some of the prisons they used to have.  My word!  They were a million times worse than they are today.  Eeeeek!!!  Scary!!!!
      August 22, 2018 1:21 AM MDT

Who's "they?"
      August 22, 2018 1:27 AM MDT

On the Discovery Channel and I think it was Cuba and Fidel Castro.  It was insane and fed off paranoia.
      August 22, 2018 7:19 AM MDT

nnaybe to encourage thenn not to want to conne back
      September 9, 2018 4:45 PM MDT