Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Business » How does big business come up with such devious ways to trick us out of our money?

How does big business come up with such devious ways to trick us out of our money?

Do you think airlines executives, for example, talk about deliberately hiding fees like for baggage, fuel and seats from people until they have already committed to buying there ticket?  Who in good conscience could bring up these scams in meetings with your fellow executives?  Or what about credit card companies that offer worthless perks like free "nights" in hotels that do not really mean you get to stay in a hotel for one night free?  Wouldn't you be ashamed to come up with ways to cheat the public out of their money dishonestly?  Aren't they ashamed of themselves?  What kind of a crazy world is this?

Posted - August 20, 2018

Responses

I wouldn’t do it in the first place. The sad reality is dishonest and morally corrupt people have always existed. 
      August 20, 2018 4:42 PM MDT

They do it on the premise that a fool and his money is soon parted....:( 
    Please dont blame all blondes though, as I'm still a bit skint from their last sting....:( 
      August 20, 2018 5:50 PM MDT

August 20, 2018 6:45 PM MDT

So many questions. I’ll give them a go:

1)It’s called revenue enhancement, and they employ numerous experts to invent new methods. 

2)Yes.

3)Conscience plays little or no role in big business. Conscience weighs you down in capitalism. This is why soulless people (think Trump) can succeed “bigly” in business. Greed is good. 

4)That, as Don King often said, is “salesmanship, Baby.”

5)Personally I might be, but really big bucks can temper shame. Is there an honest way to cheat someone out of their money? 

6)Not likely, unless they are about to face a long prison term for it. 

7)The one we have.

This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 22, 2018 3:45 AM MDT
      August 20, 2018 8:20 PM MDT

Once upon a time they had only one department for doing that (marketing), but now they have added another (lobbying).
      August 20, 2018 9:03 PM MDT

Tee he you are being so cynical :P I sometimes take advantage of a hotel deal, and never had a problem.. I know they add baggage on afterwards... I am sure they are all nice people really :P
      August 21, 2018 2:27 PM MDT

I am getting them back.  I have a cash back credit card from Wells Fargo.  I never pay interest or late fees and I collect about $500 per year in "Cash Back."  Ha ha gotcha Wells Fargo.  No doubt some of them are nice but the culture they live in is not.
      August 21, 2018 4:51 PM MDT

They take required classes on how to do it before stepping into their positions.
      August 22, 2018 3:47 AM MDT

They must also have to undergo some brain surgery to have their consciences removed.
      August 22, 2018 4:21 AM MDT

Not crazy at all - at least as far as what you are talking about.  They simply take advantage of and play on the consumer's very naïve desire to get something for nothing or as cheaply as possible. 
      August 22, 2018 6:59 AM MDT

not sure how
      September 9, 2018 4:31 PM MDT