Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Can you name/say one thing that you admire or even envy/feel a little jealous of about another country? Real or perceived.

Can you name/say one thing that you admire or even envy/feel a little jealous of about another country? Real or perceived.

This was inspired by a post on another thread.. 

For me, I envy and/or am jealous of American wooden houses and the land that seems often to come with them... I envy how endlessly adaptable and customisable/extendable they are.. We have brick or stone houses mainly and they are a real pain to alter... Oh and I totally an green with envy of porches... we don't really have them in the same way.  I also envy the sheer amount of space... land... UK is quite a congested little island. 

I admire Japanese elegance and determination. Such fascinating people. I admire their longevity and hard working ethic.  And I adore green tea with roasted brown rice and Japanese curry.

I love almost everything about Italy and Italians :P But especially their passion and their food. 

There's loads more but you get the idea :P

Posted - August 21, 2018

Responses

Canadian healthcare.. basically it works like Medicare, but for everyone. Medical care is free, and it covers almost everything other than prescription drugs, glasses, and dental care. (Most people have supplementary insurance to cover those)
      August 21, 2018 3:22 PM MDT

Same here, we pay a small standard charge for prescriptions and glasses and dental is very subsidised.
      August 24, 2018 11:18 AM MDT

I envy yours and theirs...
      August 24, 2018 1:29 PM MDT

I envy Bavaria, Germany. How beautiful and well taken care of that part of the country is. When I visited there I noticed how quiet and well behaved people were in restaurants. People we’re talking, but not loud like here in America. Children were sitting st their tables behaving and not being obnoxious. It was refreshing seeing people enjoying each other’s company without being glued to electronics. This post was edited by Rizz at August 24, 2018 11:18 AM MDT
      August 21, 2018 3:31 PM MDT

The food in southern Germany is underrated. The scenery is incomparable. The winters are brutal. 
      August 21, 2018 4:58 PM MDT

You are absolutely correct. I fell in love with the food. 
      August 21, 2018 5:01 PM MDT

I admire the beauty of places like Switzerland and Iceland.
      August 21, 2018 3:57 PM MDT

Me too, a friend is in Switzerland right now.. she says that it's easy to drive to from the UK... 
      August 24, 2018 11:19 AM MDT

• "Canada" ... not covered with asphalt like the United States. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 24, 2018 11:19 AM MDT
      August 21, 2018 4:00 PM MDT

The U.S...
      August 21, 2018 4:44 PM MDT

I admired the tidiness of Norway. In Bejing, China I liked the way people used public spaces for chatting, taking their caged birds for an outing, practicing tai chi in the early hours of dawn, etc. In France, I admired the way even the most ordinary meal was served in way that made it seem elegant. In England, I envied the public transportation where you can take a bus or train from town to town and don't really need a car.
      August 21, 2018 4:50 PM MDT

I admire/am jealous of the landscape and climate of Italy. As you mentioned, the food is enviable as well, and I speak fluent Italian.
    If it weren’t for the troubled politics and the ongoing migrant crisis there, I would likely be residing in a certain seaside Italian village today. 
      August 21, 2018 4:55 PM MDT

I'd move to Italy in a heartbeat. I'd even learn Italian :)
      August 24, 2018 11:21 AM MDT

Been there many times, and I’d go back again. One of my favorite places. 
      August 24, 2018 12:04 PM MDT

This is not about the people, the government, or the culture, but after having traveled there twelve or fifteen times, I have to say that I have always loved how green everything is in The Philippines. The vegetation is of such a rich, dark, luscious, vibrant green color that I am always absorbed in its beauty every time I go there. 

Both Hong Kong and Singapore are the cleanest, most orderly places I've ever been to in my life.

Australian people were very warm and welcoming.

Many of the countries of the world have aspects that I find deliciously attractive, far to many to name. 

(Great question!)
    ~
      August 21, 2018 9:31 PM MDT

I'm jealous of Canada's healthcare system. This past year, I didn't sign up for insurance because the cheapest premium was $400+ per month. I just got a notice from the Freelancer's Union that premiums are going up another 10-25% this coming year.

I don't feel good about going a second year with no coverage, so I either need to find a standard employer with benefits or pretend to believe in god so I can join a cost-sharing network. (Unless anyone knows of one that is not faith-based.) I tried to find someone with good insurance to get married to this year, but that fell through, so... yeah, god it is, I guess. 

August 21, 2018 10:43 PM MDT

Perhaps you and I can "arrange something".  It will involve neither spirituality nor marriage, and we won't have to become Canadian citizens, but you'll certainly be able to work it off in trade. (Cough, cough.)

~
      August 22, 2018 5:08 AM MDT

New Zealand. Lush, green and has a political party in power that actually cares about governing rather than squabbling among themselves.
      August 22, 2018 12:42 AM MDT

I've relatives in NZ... I should go see them :)
      August 24, 2018 11:23 AM MDT

Yes Norway for its magnificent scenery and clean water and New Scandinavian Cooking.  Italy for smoking tomatoes.   France for its vineyards, Caribbean countries for wonderful beaches, Austria and Germany for Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, Wagner and all the other great composers, the Philippines for warm, friendly, and affectionate people, Canada for Glenn Gould, Angela Hewitt, and Thoreau MacDonald and the romance of the north,  Spain for tapas bars, Ireland for Guinness beer (delicious!) and Irish music, Japan for sukiyaki, tempura, norimaki, and okonomiyaki (sp?),  New Zealand for Omaka Springs sauvignon blanc.   And so on!
      August 22, 2018 6:27 AM MDT

Denmark for healthcare and education.
    Sweden for using waste for energy (I strongly believe every American state should have at least 1 waste-power plant, instead of us burying our garbage).
      August 22, 2018 7:05 AM MDT

I am a canadian, and i love my country cuz here its really good, but i secretly admire russia, its a place id like to go one day 
      August 23, 2018 7:25 PM MDT

My older son has visited Russia - from the pics it looks stunning. 
      August 24, 2018 11:25 AM MDT

No.  I have no jealous in me.

Stupid word for a stupid emotion.
      August 23, 2018 7:27 PM MDT