Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Communication » How do you feel about all schools being be-lingual? Why not have us all speak the same language, verbally, on an intellectual level?

How do you feel about all schools being be-lingual? Why not have us all speak the same language, verbally, on an intellectual level?

Posted - August 28, 2018

Responses

I find it interesting that throughout my teaching years how many students didn't learn the language of their parents...mainly Spanish. I had a college, Muhammad, who is Egyptian and obviously spoke Arabic. His daughter, who I had as a student, didn't speak it. Odd, isn't it?
      August 28, 2018 6:01 PM MDT

(college colleague)
      August 28, 2018 9:31 PM MDT

Thanks. I always get that wrong.
      August 30, 2018 7:32 AM MDT

You mean there's no Muhammad College? Bummer.
      August 30, 2018 8:55 AM MDT

Good Morning~ what time is it there?  It's 5:50 here.  I'm getting coffee but anyone in their right mind shouldn't be awake for at least another 9 minutes.  That's right.  You never said you were of the right mind.  Maybe you are? Heck, I might be nice in the mornings but I'm as dumb as they come in the morning, too!
    Yes.  I do  think that is odd.  It seems logical that they would speak  the language they hear around their house and were taught as soon as they came out of the womb.  I doubt English was it.  Maybe they didn't speak to her until she went to school??  I don't know but that is VERY weird.  Another quick thought... maybe she did as was lying to you or you never heard her speak it??  I can't imagine her not picking up at least a little Arabic with it flying around her all the time.  If she said she doesn't, I believer her and you.  It does definitely seem odd. :) :)
      August 30, 2018 6:58 AM MDT

Hi Randy D~ You know I know I am in trouble when I address you by your given name and not an affectionate one.  (The word affectionate is trying to butter you up. ;)) 
    I have no excuse.  I did not proof read before I hit the "Post Reply" button. I see the error in my ways.  I did not show proper respect for the written english word nor the means of communication. Is written English word supposed to be capitalized?  You can add it to my demerits  if it is.  At least I caught it before submitting. :)  That erases the demerit. ;)
    Even though you might like me to "beg" for forgiveness, I humbly suggest I show you instead.  Right here in front of everyone, I do know how to spell illiterate. Oh Wait!  it was bilingual. 
    English:  I can spell bilingual.
    Spanish: I can spell bilingue (with two dots on top of the u.)
    French:   I can spell bilingue (no dots on top of the u ..)

Big smiles and giggles!! This post was edited by Merlin at August 30, 2018 8:53 AM MDT
      August 28, 2018 11:42 PM MDT

yore cillie
      August 29, 2018 5:29 AM MDT

I just got this!!!!  For some reason when I read it this morning at 10:30, I thought you were writing in Spanish or looking for a yolk or talking a "Chile" form of Spanish!
    Maybe one in 9,820 entries do you misspell anything and when you do, it is on purpose, like NOW!!!

It's funny how we expect certain things from people, good or bad, because of how they have represented themselves.  For you, I never expect a failure of spelling the English language or using it in an improper manner.  You have a reputation to uphold.  
     YeAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!  That WAS and IS funny.  Sorry it took an entire day and to read it 10 times before I realized it.  
    :) :):) :) :)!!! This post was edited by Merlin at August 30, 2018 8:53 AM MDT
      August 29, 2018 11:35 PM MDT

woomi?
      August 30, 2018 12:37 AM MDT

I would never suspect.  See?  You would be the perfect villain!  And I didn't know tildes were so expensive.  Man, you really must live at that ranch! Big smiles. My last posted question was inspired by you.  It's true.  I was looking for something to put under your response to my script writing.  When I ran across all the people laughing and posted it as a question.  I'm still on the hunt to reply under your hands...... but thanks for all the giggles thus far Boogie-Woogie Randy!  I still wish I could see you in that hairdo!! ;) :)
      August 30, 2018 12:55 AM MDT

I'm so confused!  Which hairdo?

~
      August 30, 2018 5:44 AM MDT

I was thinking something on these lines, like when we used to "boogie down"  and had "wiggy woogie hair do's."  You remember, back in the 70s, don't you?"  You must have had a "fro."  It was the style and the "IN" thing to have.  Even white boys tried to have one!  What a joke that was! 

August 30, 2018 7:04 AM MDT

двуязычный
      August 30, 2018 7:35 AM MDT

You can't say that on here!  We'll get in trouble for sure!!  

August 30, 2018 9:32 AM MDT

Here's a fun stat: 56% of the world is bilingual or multilingual; just 20% of Americans are. 

A whole lot of other countries teach English as a second language from a young age. Here, it's somewhat rare unless the parents teach it at home. My kids go to what's known as an "IB School," IB meaning International Baccalaureate. It's a more civic-minded way of teaching. Instead of just learning basic school material, they learn values, what it means to be part of a community, what other cultures are like, how to take care of others and the world, and how to challenge themselves to be better students as well as more rounded people. My kids get more opportunities to learn new things too. For example, they both started attending Spanish class a few times per week starting in kindergarten. Although my oldest child attended the same school a decade prior, it wasn't an IB school at the time. He didn't learn Spanish. He was offered a language at the junior high level and he decided to do a couple years of Mandarin. In high school, when a language was required for graduation, he took German instead. I also took German to fulfill my requirements. 

For me, it was difficult to learn a language later in life. The younger kids are, the easier it is for them to pick it up. So, I fully support my kids learning a second language now. Being in Arizona, Spanish is the easy choice. They'll get a lot of use out of it here. It's one of the most-spoken languages in the world regardless- well worth learning. 

Why not have us all speak the same language? It isn't feasible. If we were going to switch, the logical choice would be to the language spoken the most. It happens to be Mandarin. Spanish is second. English is third. So... I guess it's time for more American schools to start teaching something other than English to facilitate the shift, eh? 
      August 29, 2018 3:39 PM MDT

EXACTLY!  I went to a public school in a district my parents chose for my sister and me.  Those days didn't have IB schools or if they did mom and dad weren't aware of them.  They couldn't afford private schools which our mom wanted desperately to put us in.  In the long run, I think she was happy, as am I, the ball didn't bounce that way.

Communication is the only way we are going to make this work for our children.  Luckily, some parents from your generation know this fact.  They are not so concerned about who owns what real estate (land mass) but rather how are we going to continue to walk on it.  Passing this idea on to your children will lead to the success of the human race and the planet.  Thank goodness most of my generation and generations before me will die off with our misinterpretations of what "might" work.

As far as a unified form of verbal communication, I don't think it will be hard for the children.  What will be hard is to teach the us old folk to communicate it to them.  Since we are a "Monkey see. Monkey hear.  Monkey do" species, our kids are open books to any and all things we offer them. It's the adults that are stuck in their ways.  This is because it was taught to us by our history and parents. They are none to blame.  Thank Goodness we are evolving. 

I am a strong believer in one person can make a difference.  All it takes is one parent and one child to lead and set an example.  The others will follow.  I like the way you think JA.  Logical with a touch of personal. ....  And keeping it light.  If answerMug turns into an encyclopedia group, it will become way beyond my means... Where is Element?  Being the encyclopedia man he is, I'm gunna kill him! I love ya and him too!  Thanks for your thoughts on this matter. :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at August 30, 2018 8:52 AM MDT
      August 29, 2018 6:44 PM MDT

I'm right here, dear...reading your comments. (And others, of course.) I'm not an encyclopedia guy. I am an encyclopedia.
      August 30, 2018 7:39 AM MDT

Shall we start calling you Element Britannica?  I thought you might like to know your origin! :P!

I knew you were old but I didn't think you were this old!!  Big winks and smiles!! 
      August 30, 2018 8:41 AM MDT

Say hello to your Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great,Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Grandpa and Grandma! :) :)
      August 30, 2018 8:43 AM MDT

*Bilingual. And schools aren't bilingual, people are. As to the question, even if it is feasible, how would the second language be decided? In a place like NYC, there are neighborhoods where Chinese (multiple dialects), Korean, Spanish, Russian, and Vietnamese are spoken, just to name a few.

And where is the funding for all of this to come from? Are you willing to have your taxes raised to pay for it? If so, I bet you're in the minority.
      August 30, 2018 8:51 AM MDT

Pretty much all schools here teach another language. Certainly from secondary school level (12 years old up). I was taught French at primary school (7 years plus).  How is the language chosen? Well it varies, perhaps according to individual school choice and/or availability of teachers. French is the most commonly taught additional language, but also popular are Spanish and German. Perhaps these are obvious choices given our proximity to Europe or perhaps it was done by usefulness - French, for example is spoken around quite a bit of the world due to colonisation. Ditto Spanish. 

As to taxes, we pay anyway but yes, you bet, even though I personally am rubbish at languages I would pay, in a heartbeat to continue the teaching of additional languages. Btw at secondary school level there is often a choice of languages, students often learn say French and German and then can choose which they want to continue.. 

Almost all other countries can speak English way, way better than we can speak theirs, so I think we should at least make an effort. 
      August 30, 2018 1:26 PM MDT

But as I asked above, how to decide which language to add, especially in a place like NYC with people from different places speaking many different languages and dialects?
      August 30, 2018 1:46 PM MDT

Ahh I thought I addressed that? I said it is chosen based on usefulness, popularity and availability of teachers...  It isn't based on numbers of immigrants/speakers of another language in the locality as they would be expected to be bilingual anyway... That doesn't enter into the equation. 

See I think 'we' would be looking at it in an entirely different way....we wouldn't even be thinking along the lines that they MUST all speak English... that's a given.. We are looking at enhancements to education. What can we do to help students be more well-rounded and to equip them better to make their way in the world.
      August 30, 2018 1:54 PM MDT

i think its a good idea
      September 7, 2018 3:55 PM MDT